Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
hi friends

I got another monitor and now when I touch the mouse to the bottom of the screen the dock jumps to the new screen.

I changed my settings to treat all monitors as the same space and this fixes it but now I cant treat each monitor as its own space which I liked.

Does anyone think there is a way to have both?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I agree.
You can move your displays around in Displays pane/Arrangements tab, to get the position you prefer.
Of course, that only works if you are not using mirroring.

In my setup, my external display is on the left, and the internal is set as the main display, so the Dock has no other place to go.
My external is actually a projector, so I have that display positioned almost corner-touching-corner, so I don't randomly "lose" the mouse on the external screen, as that screen is 50 feet from the internal screen.

It sounds like you have more than one external monitor?
How do you have those set up in your Arrangements tab?

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I agree.
You can move your displays around in Displays pane/Arrangements tab, to get the position you prefer.
Of course, that only works if you are not using mirroring.

In my setup, my external display is on the left, and the internal is set as the main display, so the Dock has no other place to go.
My external is actually a projector, so I have that display positioned almost corner-touching-corner, so I don't randomly "lose" the mouse on the external screen, as that screen is 50 feet from the internal screen.

It sounds like you have more than one external monitor?
How do you have those set up in your Arrangements tab?
I have 2 externals which are on each side of my imac in the middle

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have 2 externals which are on each side of my imac in the middle
Does your arrangement tab show the same layout as your physical positions?
Does it make any difference for you if you move the positions on the arrangement tab, so the displays are corner-to-corner, rather than edge-to-edge?
(Not sure if that makes sense when I read it. It's easier to try it out in Arrangements, where that is simple to create :D )

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Does your arrangement tab show the same layout as your physical positions?
Does it make any difference for you if you move the positions on the arrangement tab, so the displays are corner-to-corner, rather than edge-to-edge?
(Not sure if that makes sense when I read it. It's easier to try it out in Arrangements, where that is simple to create :D )

that would be a clever trick to let me put the dock on the side!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
All you need to do is move it in the settings.
All depends on how you want the screens positioned in the Displays pane. The main screen (with the menubar at the top) would have to be positioned to one side for the dock to be on THAT side (rather than have your main screen in between the two externals)
Does that make sense?

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
It's not that simple. I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro. I set my MacBook screen as the main screen is displays, but everytime I move my cursor near the bottom of my external monitor, the dock jumps over there, despite being my second screen and not the main one.

Really annoying and I still cannot find a way to resolve this.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Sorry to chime in and maybe ask a stupid question, but do you have the dock set to auto-hide? If so, does turning that off help at all?

I always have the dock on auto-hide and noticed that the dock (and menu bar) will plant itself in whatever screen you make your primary, and that this is easily switched back and forth by simply moving the mouse to the bottom of whichever screen your mouse is active in. Once you make the dock pop up in this way, the menu bar seems to follow and that screen become the primary...

Always was just a minor irritation for me, so never even tried to see if turning off auto-hide would have the secondary effect of "locking" it to the primary screen...

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I don't use auto-hide, but what you explain is my issue. Accidentally moving the mouse to the bottom of my secondary screen brings with it the dock. I don't want this to happen and cannot see a way to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.