Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's not much to worry about from magnets around an SSD -- no moving parts, and nothing likely affected by magnets. But, all bets would be off with high strength magnetic fields, such as those in CAT scans, or MRIs. You wouldn't be taking your laptop (or wearing jewelry) in those kinds of environments, anyway.

• Love
Reactions: CalMin

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
There's not much to worry about from magnets around an SSD -- no moving parts, and nothing likely affected by magnets. But, all bets would be off with high strength magnetic fields, such as those in CAT scans, or MRIs. You wouldn't be taking your laptop (or wearing jewelry) in those kinds of environments, anyway.
Thank you!! That's really good to know.

I am at an age when I remember that magnets could wipe a floppy disk, do serious damage to a hard drive, and properly mess up my CRT monitor. Consequently, I still feel weird about any magnets near any of my electronics. Seems I don't need to worry so much!

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
If Magnets harmed the MBP, there wouldn’t be speakers inside the laptop. Stay away from high magnetic scanners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.