Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ljubisa Ljube Rozic

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2020
Hi guys. I found the solution. I had the same problem on Catalina OS. All you have to do is reset SMC and PRAM. Then you will be able to do whatever you want with all your bluetooth devices.

nononame

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2020
Unfortunately resetting SMC and PRAM doesn't work at least for magic trackpad 1. Catalina 10.15.3 MacBook air 2017

Campanola

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
I had the same problem. I just did the update to Catalina 10.15.4 and now it's working. The new name is memorized.

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
On 10.15.4, Reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM, name on Apple Mouse changes but is not retained after closing Sys Prefs and coming back. Magic Mouse 1 name change is permanent. (Also tried Debug mode on Bluetooth [Hold Shift+Option when clicking on Bluetooth icon in Menu] and that did not work in making the name change permanent.)

It would seem that I will need High Sierra to rename older Mouse and Trackpad as that is the last OS that I recall the name changed remained permanent for the older Apple Bluetooth devices.

Reactions: 4sallypat

b3ats

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
UK
I was having the same issue with my 2nd hand bought Magic Mouse 2, it was connected to my iMac however I had it plugged in and charging at the time and using a magic trackpad to navigate. When I unplugged it from the lightning cable I was then able to rename it.

Reactions: bennyf

TheVulture

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
It seems to be a Catalina bug, still present in 10.15.3. Maybe it's fixed in 10.15.4, but I haven't tested it. You can rename the devices with no issue on a computer running 10.14.6 or older.
100% correct. I had the same problem. Bug is not fixed in 10.15.4, but I used an older Mac and was able to rename my bluetooth devices and then when reconnecting them to my Catalina machine, the new names are being used. Thank you.

Notorious370

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
100% correct. I had the same problem. Bug is not fixed in 10.15.4, but I used an older Mac and was able to rename my bluetooth devices and then when reconnecting them to my Catalina machine, the new names are being used. Thank you.

Same here. Connected the Magic Mouse and keyboard to my 2011 MBP running High Sierra and was able to rename and have the new names stick when reconnecting to my MBP 2019 running Catalina 10.15.4.

HashTagGaza

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2020
No sorry the problem is still present!

SOLUTION OFFERED
Hi, I am not sure if anyone still needs this but this is the process I followed on my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.4
1) Delete / Remove Mouse from Mac
2) Switch off Bluetooth on Mac
3) Switch off Mouse and Reset (Hold down click and power one. I did it until the Green Light blinked twice ie two complete sets).
4) Switch mouse off again
5) Turn on Bluetooth on Mac
6) Turn on Mouse
7) Pair Mouse
8) Rename Mouse as per Preferences -> Bluetooth etc
9) While Bluetooth Preferences is open, Switch off Mouse and the Switch on Bluetooth.

Let me know if it works for you. emailwhileaway@gmail.com
[automerge]1590408487[/automerge]
Same here. Connected the Magic Mouse and keyboard to my 2011 MBP running High Sierra and was able to rename and have the new names stick when reconnecting to my MBP 2019 running Catalina 10.15.4.

SOLUTION OFFERED
Hi, I am not sure if anyone still needs this but this is the process I followed on my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.4
3) Switch off Mouse and Reset (Hold down click and power one. I did it until the Green Light blinked twice ie two complete sets).
6) Turn on Mouse
7) Pair Mouse
9) While Bluetooth Preferences is open, Switch off Mouse and the Switch on Bluetooth.

flodschi22

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Austria
SOLUTION OFFERED
6) Turn on Mouse
7) Pair Mouse

[automerge]1590408487[/automerge]

SOLUTION OFFERED
6) Turn on Mouse
7) Pair Mouse

Thanks for your help but I sold my iMac and bought a Macbook Pro so it isn't present anymore but thanks for your help! :)

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
A certain richardlennoxyz on the Apple Support Communities has this solution:

1 Connect Device
2 Go to settings, right click on device, dont click the menu, leave it open
3 Turn off device
4 Select "rename" in the still open right click menue
5 rename the device and close the pop up
6 Turn device back on and connect

Settings refers to the Bluetooth preference pane for clarity.

This was awesome, I'd nearly pulled out my remaining hair before finally tracking down this ASC forum post.

Emiloly

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020

1 Connect Device
3 Turn off device

This was awesome, I'd nearly pulled out my remaining hair before finally tracking down this ASC forum post.
YAY!!!! This worked!!!!!

Lucas Gomes

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2020
São Bernardo/SP

1 Connect Device
3 Turn off device

Although temporarily working on the device on which the procedures were followed, none of the solutions involving Catalina worked for me for good.

The only way I was able to rename my device (Apple Keyboard A1314) and see the name stick even when connecting to other BT devices was using an older version of Mac OS.

The fact that I could not rename a BT device through Catalina and other PCs/Smartphones was driving me crazy. Then I installed El Capitan on a SD card that was lying around and was able to rename it through the conventional method.

AFAIK, all other methods work temporarily or just on one device.

Here are some helpful links to guide through installing older versions of Mac:

macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/
macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Although temporarily working on the device on which the procedures were followed, none of the solutions involving Catalina worked for me for good.

The only way I was able to rename my device (Apple Keyboard A1314) and see the name stick even when connecting to other BT devices was using an older version of Mac OS.

The fact that I could not rename a BT device through Catalina and other PCs/Smartphones was driving me crazy. Then I installed El Capitan on a SD card that was lying around and was able to rename it through the conventional method.

AFAIK, all other methods work temporarily or just on one device.

Here are some helpful links to guide through installing older versions of Mac:

macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/download-old-os-x-3629363/
macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/

Did not work for me either. Connecting to a different device immediately reverts it back to the old name. I don't have an older Mac that supports El Capitan so I'm outta luck?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Go to blue tooth settings, right click on the item you want to rename and select the "rename" option. Easy peasy.

Thinking that you've posted this without reading the thread.

If you did you'd see that the issue was that the name wasn't sticking afterwards.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Dil

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Renamed with Catalina, my Magic Mouse 1 never remembers his new name (even with above advices).
So I installed the free evaluation version of VMWare Fusion, and I created a virtual machine with OSX 10.10 Yosemite. I tried to rename the Magic Mouse from OSX 10.10 in the virtual machine, but as the bluetooth (controler and driver) is shared with Catalina, that doesn't work. So I plugged a USB bluetooth key and dedicated it only with the virtual machine (and also disable the option sharing of Bluetooth and USB). Remove the association of Magic Mouse with Catalina. Associate the Magic Mouse under OSX 10.10 and rename it. That's the only way for my Magic Mouse 1 to be renamed, and now under Catalina the mouse has the new name.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Renamed with Catalina, my Magic Mouse 1 never remembers his new name (even with above advices).
So I installed the free evaluation version of VMWare Fusion, and I created a virtual machine with OSX 10.10 Yosemite. I tried to rename the Magic Mouse from OSX 10.10 in the virtual machine, but as the bluetooth (controler and driver) is shared with Catalina, that doesn't work. So I plugged a USB bluetooth key and dedicated it only with the virtual machine (and also disable the option sharing of Bluetooth and USB). Remove the association of Magic Mouse with Catalina. Associate the Magic Mouse under OSX 10.10 and rename it. That's the only way for my Magic Mouse 1 to be renamed, and now under Catalina the mouse has the new name.

Does VMWare allow you to install an older MacOS version that your Mac does not support? This sounds promising.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Does Big Sur address this?

Can I rename via Windows PC? Seems like a work to downgrade or create a specific VM, just for this issue.

Dil

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009

Danny Camposano

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
Wait, how am I just learning you can rename your devices, maybe I know but don't change them much. Not sure if the issue was resolved but he said he got it from his ex wife? Maybe she got something done to wear you can't change the name just do you remember her ? You should of sold them and bought new one with that money.

Alibear1957

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Don't know if I'm too late with this reply, but in case you haven't solved it, or if there's somebody else with this problem. I puzzled over this for ages, till I found a post somewhere else (I can't find it now). The information I found, worked for me. It seems that you can only do a permanent name change on a device that has 32 bit, not 64 bit processor. You CAN rename your mouse under the 64 bit, but it seems to be only temporary. If you switch computer, the mouse reverts to its old name again.

To permanently rename your mouse, connect it to a 32 bit Mac, go to system prefs / Bluetooth. When you select bluetooth you will see a list of devices (in this case your mouse), select the device you want to rename (it must be connected in order to change the name). Go to the bottom of the panel, where you see a + and - button. Next to this, there's a cog wheel, with a downward arrow. Select this and you will see a dropdown box with an option to rename. On a 64 bit machine, the cog is not there. Instead you select the device and right click on it and you will see the same menu (again, mouse has to be connected or the menu will not appear).

Hope this helps somebody, as it helped me.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It seems that you can only do a permanent name change on a device that has 32 bit, not 64 bit processor.
Apple hasn't sold a Mac with a 32-bit processor since 2007. The bug just seems to be in Catalina; any operating system earlier than that will work around the problem, and the problem doesn't seem to be universal on all computers using Catalina now.

David Gibson

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
SOLUTION (which I just did today): Create an external HD that goes back to Mavericks or later and change the name of the mouse under the old OS, which will then port-forward to Mojave or Catalina.

FWIW: Apple in their own wisdom, eliminated the ability to rename bluetooth devices in more current versions of the OS. Go figure!!!!

Steve G

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Columbus, OH, USA

1 Connect Device
3 Turn off device

This worked for me too, hold after restart/shutdown. I has to use a 2nd mouse to click on the rename button but it did work. I've been trying to get this to work for years!

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

1 Connect Device
3 Turn off device

This seems to have worked for me, thanks!

Although you need to be sure to have a wired mouse hand to complete the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.