Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shMorganson

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
It isn't replacing Keychain as of now. Keychain is still there.
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.09.38 PM.png

shMorganson

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
If that picture is real, you should consider a password manager or find a good generator.
Haha! It is real. Those are pretty much passwords I have saved from my family members and they aren't good at passwords. My passwords are all generated with the exception of my iCloud and local Mac account. Good catch though. Thanks for looking out.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
So what exactly is the difference now between:
1. Passwords in Safari
2. Passwords in System Preferences
3. Passwords in Keychain Acces?

This is getting confusing.

shMorganson

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
1. Passwords in Safari

From what I can tell, the passwords in Safari and the ones in System Preferences are the same ones. I would hope the Safari password area is fazed out.
Keychain Access shouldn’t be going anywhere cause it also handles certificates and many other things like secure notes and so on.

Reactions: NewUsername

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Just out of curiosity, is it any better at detecting when you use the same credentials for different sites, and not call it reused passwords? As an example, I use one account over all the Wikipedia sites, like wikidata.org, wikimedia.org and so on. But they get flagged as reused passwords in password settings.

shMorganson

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Just out of curiosity, is it any better at detecting when you use the same credentials for different sites, and not call it reused passwords? As an example, I use one account over all the Wikipedia sites, like wikidata.org, wikimedia.org and so on. But they get flagged as reused passwords in password settings.
I have had that same issue. Doesn’t look like it has been vastly improved in that way at this time. Hopefully soon ??

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
1. Passwords in Safari

In Big Sur at least, the passwords presented by Keychain Access is the entirety of your iCloud (or local) Keychain - i.e. all passwords, secure notes etc.

Safari's passwords view shows a subset of that. I'd presume this new pane also shows a subset of the Keychain contents - possibly more than Safari.

Reactions: NewUsername

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
There's a whole "thing" to solve this type of issues:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
There's a whole "thing" to solve this type of issues:

Hmm, interesting. I noticed the example I mentioned, Wikipedia, is on that list, yet still nagging me about it. I removed the surplus ones and re-added them by logging in and now it's not nagging, so yay for that.

I'm not that familiar with Github projects, but if I have cases, not on this list, is there a way to contribute?

EDIT: Think I figured out how to contribute, hopefully, I did it the right way.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Hmm, interesting. I noticed the example I mentioned, Wikipedia, is on that list, yet still nagging me about it. I removed the surplus ones and re-added them by logging in and now it's not nagging, so yay for that.

I'm not that familiar with Github projects, but if I have cases, not on this list, is there a way to contribute?

It's possible that it marks them somehow differently with that logic being used at the time they're added, rather than just retroactively to existing entries. It's meant to be a data set for implementors to use as they see fit, it doesn't really describe any implementation details.

As for contributing, yes, you can: https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md

The most basic way is to just file an issue, but it is also possible to propose actual specific changes to the rules. However, that is definitely more in-depth, so if you're not familiar with things like JSON, and ideally Git, I'd recommend sticking to filing issues initially.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It's possible that it marks them somehow differently with that logic being used at the time they're added, rather than just retroactively to existing entries. It's meant to be a data set for implementors to use as they see fit, it doesn't really describe any implementation details.

As for contributing, yes, you can: https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md

The most basic way is to just file an issue, but it is also possible to propose actual specific changes to the rules. However, that is definitely more in-depth, so if you're not familiar with things like JSON, and ideally Git, I'd recommend sticking to filing issues initially.
I gave it a try and did the two cases I had left. Do you know how long after code is merged, the change is noticeable in Safari? Does it require a new release of Safari?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I gave it a try and did the two cases I had left. Do you know how long after code is merged, the change is noticeable in Safari? Does it require a new release of Safari?
No clue how it gets used sorry. It almost certainly needs an updated release, I’d be very surprised if that list is queried dynamically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.