Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

Does anyone know if a SATA drive connected via an eSATA adapter to a Thunderbolt port can successfully receive and act upon ATA commands? So: SATA -> eSATA -> Thunderbolt -> MacBook Pro.

I'm primarily thinking of using the Sanitize Device command.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I was never able to find a way to do secure erase while in OS X but was able to do it easily using the (paid, $10) parted magic bootable, but that was to secure_erase the internal disks, no externals.

I want to say that it should work but haven't tried personally. are you able to boot from your esata drives?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
thunderbolt esata should be a fully native sata interface as far as the system is concerned, so yes, it should..

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for the replies, guys. When I get a chance I'll set the whole thing up and give it a bash.

are you able to boot from your esata drives?
Good question. I know from testing that booting from USB 3 over the same adapter doesn't work, but I didn't try eSATA. Actually, I'm not sure I have any boot drives that I could test that scenario out on. But you've piqued my interest now…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.