Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hey, I am not quite sure what to do here. I have an M1 MacBook Air, and I noticed I am running low (relatively, compared to where I used to be) on storage. I also noticed that "System Data" is taking up an enormous amount of space.

Here's what I have tried so far to free up some space--none of these things have worked:
  1. Ran Onyx
  2. Deleted SEVERAL unused apps
  3. Went through and examined the ENTIRE structure of the disk to find large files. Even enabled "Show Hidden Files" using Shift + Cmd + . which didn't help.
    1. Went through the Caches folder, couldn't free up anything
    2. Went through the other folders in both /Library and ~/Library, couldn't clear up anything, either.
Any suggestions as to how to get this back?
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 11.19.44 AM.png

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I highly recommend installing Daisy Disk. It will give you an excellent view of what exactly is taking up space thus allowing you to take action, without fear of deleting files you don't really know what they are.

If you have been using TimeMachine, a lot of times it will store purgeable files thus taking up more room. TimeMachine is supposed to purge the files when needed but, that doesn't always happen.

Reactions: Ben J. and rm5

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Do you use Time Machine? If so, you may have some snapshots you can delete.

There are other ways to delete local TM snapshots.
Search terms: delete time machine snapshots

Also, please identify your OS version.

Reactions: Ben J. and rm5

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You also might want to consider transferring some of your files to an external drive; do you need to keep all your podcasts, movies and music on your computer? A lot of people put their iTunes library on an external drive, which frees up space on the machine's internal drive. Others put their photo collection on an external drive, or if they have a lot of documents which they don't need to see and use every day, they stash those on an external.

Reactions: rm5 and NoBoMac

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Hey, I am not quite sure what to do here. I have an M1 MacBook Air, and I noticed I am running low (relatively, compared to where I used to be) on storage. I also noticed that "System Data" is taking up an enormous amount of space.

My System Data is 119 GB. It doesn't bother me. So I am not sure why 49 GB would worry you.

Adding up the numbers in your screenshot I get to about 120GB. How big is your disk?

If you are low on space, use Daisy Disk to discover what is using the disk.

And do remember that if you delete stuff and empty the Bin/Trash, it will remain in TimeMachine snapshots for 24 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.