Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
Hello.

I have an issue with installing Catalina on my 13” 2013 MacBook Pro. Two years ago, I upgraded the hard drive to a 1gb SSD (OWC Aura). When I installed other OS upgrades since then, I never had a problem.

However, today, I received this error:

MacOS cold not be installed on your computer

Storage system verify or repair failed. : (69716)

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Obviously, I restarted and it didn’t solve the problem.

I seem to remember others overcoming this issue with a third party hardware internal SSD and upgrading the OS.

If anyone could give me a tip for installing Catalina on this particular MacBook I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Ted

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I also ran the disk utility. Here are the screenshots from that:

Again, I recall reading about jumping through some hoops to do a full OS upgrade with a third party SSD upgrade.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 202

ApplyPie

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Here n There
I think you may have to put your original SSD back inside, upgrade that to Catalina, which also then updates your EFI firmware. Then put the Aura back in and update to Catalina. EFI firmware, I'm told, will not update unless the original Apple SSD is in place

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I think you may have to put your original SSD back inside, upgrade that to Catalina, which also then updates your EFI firmware. Then put the Aura back in and update to Catalina. EFI firmware, I'm told, will not update unless the original Apple SSD is in place
Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I can find the old drive which I'm glad I kept in storage. I'll let you know if that works.

bigpika

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Scotland
Im having this exact same problem with my MacBook 2012. I had to replace the hard drive a few years ago as it went. Put in an SSD. Now I may or may not still have it, but what options does this leave for me as i won't be able to install my previous hard dive and install catalina?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I replaced the hard drive in my 2012 Mac Mini with a Samsung SSD not long ago. I had some similar issues when upgrading the OS later. I think what worked for me was backing up the SSD drive, then completely reformatting it from scratch followed by a fresh clean install of of the OS. This is actually recommended to clear up any leftover issues, errors, or glitches of the previous OS (Mojave in this case).

Reactions: tedwill

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
Epilogue - as it turns out the drive had to be reformatted. I installed Catalina and restored the data from Time Machine. Fortunately, it was not a hardware error. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Richard8655
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.