Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
In the computer world, review sites often get products a week or two before launch date and do reviews (protected by NDA until launch day) so that there's a ton of press and information available at launch.

Does the photography industry not follow this practise? It's bizarre that they are popping up at retail but none of the popular review sites have any in-depth reviews. :confused:

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for posting these pics. Very cool. I see most of the interior were using ISO 3200, I was wondering if they were shot with jpg with noise reduction on or if they were shot with Raw and converted to jpg. I am guessing its jpg with noise reduction. This info would be helpful.

Thanks!

There was no post processing done. I took them with RAW+L. Aperture 3 still doesn't recognize the RAW file yet, so I couldn't do anything with that and had to make do with the jpeg. I don't know though if the camera applies noise reduction automatically on the jpeg files. They're not auto shots, they're done with the dial on Aperture priority. Shoot, import, upload.

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
There was no post processing done. I took them with RAW+L. Aperture 3 still doesn't recognize the RAW file yet, so I couldn't do anything with that and had to make do with the jpeg. I don't know though if the camera applies noise reduction automatically on the jpeg files. They're not auto shots, they're done with the dial on Aperture priority. Shoot, import, upload.

Cool, thanks. The reason I ask is, I think jpg applies noise reduction by default so when i see the original size image, I see some details seems to be compressed and a bit washed out and looks like something what noise reduction would do. But I am speculating here. For myself, I really wanted to know how noisy ISO 3200 would be in this new camera, and therefore how useful it would be in reality. That's all. It seems to be pretty good either way so far.

Thanks again for the info.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Cool, thanks. The reason I ask is, I think jpg applies noise reduction by default so when i see the original size image, I see some details seems to be compressed and a bit washed out and looks like something what noise reduction would do. But I am speculating here. For myself, I really wanted to know how noisy ISO 3200 would be in this new camera, and therefore how useful it would be in reality. That's all. It seems to be pretty good either way so far.

Thanks again for the info.

I think it's the way I shot them. It's hand-held shots done covertly to make sure I don't attract attention inside the subway. I have 5 seconds at most to take these pictures. I'm looking at other t2i pics on Flickr, and I notice they're not that sharp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.