Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I've just had to send my mkII back for repair.

Can't remember what it's called but the plastic lens thing that sits above the mirror just dropped out

went to change the lens and the plastic just dropped out with it, not impressed

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
As one would expect, it concludes that it's a damn fine camera! It can't quite match the D3/700 at the very high ISOs (it is very close) but at 21mp I'm not sure if that was ever a totally realistic expectation apart from by the Canon devotees.
Yup, to me the worst part in 5D MKII is the AF System!!! Out of all the things Canon improve, they forgot to improve on the very OLD AF system! How could they!!!! but oh well, Im not buying one anyway. :rolleyes:

To me the 5D MKII High ISO is on par with the D700 and that is cause you must take into account that the 5D MKII will produce more detail at higher ISO due to its 21 Mp, but as you all know, the higher the mp, the more visible the noise are so yea, to me it is a tie.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Yup, to me the worst part in 5D MKII is the AF System!!! Out of all the things Canon improve, they forgot to improve on the very OLD AF system! How could they!!!! but oh well, Im not buying one anyway. :rolleyes:

To me the 5D MKII High ISO is on par with the D700 and that is cause you must take into account that the 5D MKII will produce more detail at higher ISO due to its 21 Mp, but as you all know, the higher the mp, the more visible the noise are so yea, to me it is a tie.

I couldn't care about anything in the new 5D once I read the AF system was the same one from the older model. What a joke, something which I'm not prepared to plunk down that kind of money for.

Oh... the lack of autofocus in the video feature is a bummer as well. I expect more, megapixels be damned.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Oh... the lack of autofocus in the video feature is a bummer as well. I expect more, megapixels be damned.
Well yea, but I expect nothing more from a first generation DSLR Video ^^, remember how crappy was the original Live View function and now it seem to be improved (well at least on the 50D and 5D).

I seriously dont understand.....why the heck Canon leave their AF system the same as last time, its as if.

A: "Oh crap! We forgot to change the AF System"
B: "Wtf, oh well we are humans and we already announce the product"

To me I would of course prefer the 1D AF system on the 5D or at least a stripped down version with less AF points (but not less Cross Type AF Points).

Any why is Nikon the only one that allows faster burst rate with battery grip? I want to see something similar in Canon lineup.

I can't believe that Canon markets their DSLR lineup as 40D/50D for Sports Photographer while the 5D is for studio or wedding. For crying out loud, camera stuffs is not cheap! We cant afford to have a specific body for sports and one for wedding, we need an all round camera!! This is not like mountain bike where there is a specific kind of bike for specific category. At this point I prefer Nikon strategy, lets hope Canon wakes up and revise back their strategy.

Not everyone wants to own a 1D/1Ds which is huge and bulky!

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
UK

Can't remember what it's called but the plastic lens thing that sits above the mirror just dropped out

A mate of mine has already had to send one back too. Not sure of the specifics but it was focusing related. Shop said to their knowledge it was a one off (not like the 1D mkIII issue).

Agree with the comment that the slight difference in noise at high ISO is offset by the resolution. The images really are incredible. My friend hasn't complained about the focusing speed, but he mostly does PR, portraits and weddings, never any sports.

From a Nikon user viewpoint, I hope they launch a D700x one day at about £2300. The D3/D3x pairing is great, but goddam! they would be a big, heavy pair to carry around all day (esp. at a wedding) and the frugal side to my character won't allow me to spend nearly £9000 in camera bodies alone.

I too love the speed boost feature that Nikon allow with the vertical grip, it is useful at times.

Nikon still need to update the 70-200 f2.8 asastp (as soon as sooner than possible).

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I seriously dont understand.....why the heck Canon leave their AF system the same as last time, its as if.

To me I would of course prefer the 1D AF system on the 5D or at least a stripped down version with less AF points (but not less Cross Type AF Points).

Having done some birding with my 20D, I've become far more sensitive to "non-landscapy" focusing needs. As such, the 5D / 5Dmk2 doesn't appear to really stand a chance of being an improvement.

I can't believe that Canon markets their DSLR lineup as 40D/50D for Sports Photographer while the 5D is for studio or wedding. For crying out loud, camera stuffs is not cheap! We cant afford to have a specific body for sports and one for wedding, we need an all round camera!!

I'd be willing to tolerate that approach just so long as the gear can honestly deal with the environment ... and the problem is that based on Luminous Landscape's latest trip report from Antarctica ... a "high" number of 5Dmk2 hardware failures ... my immediate preliminary conclusion is that the 5Dmk2 is not a landscape camera: it may very well be an unreliable 'studio only' camera that can't take being out on location.

At this point I prefer Nikon strategy, lets hope Canon wakes up and revise back their strategy.

Not everyone wants to own a 1D/1Ds which is huge and bulky!

Agreed on both. It almost seems time to buy a Nikon for telephoto work and relegate Canon to just landscapes/WA...but...if it can't take temperature or moisture swings, then its not a reliable enough tool to consider taking into the field, no matter how 'good' it might be.

Thus, my 5Dmk2 purchase plan is on hold, along with the additional $5K for an Underwater housing for it.

-hh

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I'd be willing to tolerate that approach just so long as the gear can honestly deal with the environment ... and the problem is that based on Luminous Landscape's latest trip report from Antarctica ... a "high" number of 5Dmk2 hardware failures ... my immediate preliminary conclusion is that the 5Dmk2 is not a landscape camera: it may very well be an unreliable 'studio only' camera that can't take being out on location.
thats interesting, I totally forgot about people who use their camera gear in extreme situations XD, I just cant get of my mind damaging a camera gear. . .

Nikon still need to update the 70-200 f2.8 asastp (as soon as sooner than possible).
Haha, but the Canon 70-200 f2.8 is a few years older then the Nikon one, right no? The only thing that I dun like bout Nikon FF lens is it looks old!!! The design and construction just screams old design!!! Of course those lens produce great images, just what I meant is that Nikon lens fashion appeal is horrible in my humble opinion, especially their telephoto. Take note, Im just commenting on the looks of the lens, nothing about the photo quality, ergonomics or anything else that some people will find to make a point of argument.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The 70-200 is based on the last version of the non-AFS 80-200, which is a fantastic lens. They pretty much look identical. I love the way they look, but that's just me :).

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004

The thing that fell out is called the focus screen. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard...A focus screen falling out? How does that happen? I accidently scratched mine the second week of having mine...But bought another to replace it. :eek:

As for the review, very spot on. The ISO performance is AMAZING for 21 megapixels. Yes, the D700 has marginally better ISO performance, thanks to a smaller 12 megapixel sensor. But you know what? The ISO performance of the 5DII is even BETTER if you use the sRAW setting. I started using sRAW 1 for sports shooting, and nothing gets better than that! 10 megapixels of sharp 5D Mark II images! :D

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The 70-200 is based on the last version of the non-AFS 80-200, which is a fantastic lens. They pretty much look identical. I love the way they look, but that's just me :).

Actually, it's a clean sheet design. It has very little in common with either the 80-200 AF-D or the 80-200 AF-S.

ralphbu

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
plastic thing dropping out

It happened to me too, early on, but it just slips back into place, no problem. Can't remember how I figured it out, but I know it became obvious when I looked at it.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
The thing that fell out is called the focus screen. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard...A focus screen falling out? How does that happen? I accidently scratched mine the second week of having mine...But bought another to replace it. :eek:

Yeah I replaced mine as well but not because of a scratch. It is weird that it sell out. Only thing I can think is maybe when removing the lens he accidentally released the latch that holds it in place since its right behind the mount. I am loving the EG-D for landscapes though.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Yeah I replaced mine as well but not because of a scratch. It is weird that it sell out. Only thing I can think is maybe when removing the lens he accidentally released the latch that holds it in place since its right behind the mount. I am loving the EG-D for landscapes though.

Yeah everything on the 5DII is always sold out! Even the 5DII itself is still sold out! Every place that HAS it is asking for an outrageous price on it, like $1000 more than MSRP! Wonder why it's so popular right now. Probably because it's an amazing camera with 21MP at only $2699 :rolleyes:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

You sent a camera back because the focus screen dropped out? Something that can be simply popped back in, and is in fact designed to come out? (Okay, not that easily, but probably was a little loose from the factory).

Crazy. I'd have just put it back!

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Just to clarify on the AF setup, it's not just carried over. They added the cross type sensors similar to the 40D/50D (although only on center, not on all points). It's not the speed demon of the 1D mkIII, but it's not the same as the original 5D either. Let's stick with facts from Canon and not comment carry-overs from forums where people didn't investigate.

I was curious about noise on the sRAW, and am actually quite excited about that feature. I can't wait to finally buy one, but money is tight, especially with yesterday's lay off :)

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
You sent a camera back because the focus screen dropped out? Something that can be simply popped back in, and is in fact designed to come out? (Okay, not that easily, but probably was a little loose from the factory).

Crazy. I'd have just put it back!

I am not inclined to trust someone who spends almost 3 grand on an SLR body and doesn't know what a focus screen is to evaluate said camera.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Just to clarify on the AF setup, it's not just carried over. They added the cross type sensors similar to the 40D/50D (although only on center, not on all points). It's not the speed demon of the 1D mkIII, but it's not the same as the original 5D either. Let's stick with facts from Canon and not comment carry-overs from forums where people didn't investigate.

I was curious about noise on the sRAW, and am actually quite excited about that feature. I can't wait to finally buy one, but money is tight, especially with yesterday's lay off :)

I'll tell you right now, sRAW 1 (10MP) on a 5DII is WORLDS better than my XTi. Much better ISO performance, not to mention full-frame. Oh and did I mention that shooting at ISO3200 is equivalent to the XTi's ISO 800? It's that amazing. So yes, it's really exciting because of the results that you get. I've been shooting sRAW for sports, and RAW for other stuff.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT

Just an FYI (and I didn't know this until the DPReview), but that piece that fell out is actually user-interchangeable:

Picture 1.png

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I am not inclined to trust someone who spends almost 3 grand on an SLR body and doesn't know what a focus screen is to evaluate said camera.

True. I'm suprised that these people can drop so much cash on a camera and not know some of the basics. Right now I'd kill for a 5D2 to go with my 1D3.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
True. I'm suprised that these people can drop so much cash on a camera and not know some of the basics. Right now I'd kill for a 5D2 to go with my 1D3.
Whoa whoa, they don't need for any kiling. Summore if you get caught, you wont be able to take photos. Prisons dont allow photography as far as I know :)

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004

I live in Delaware and drove to Waterford CT to get one (a 4 hr drive). Best Buy there had one in stock and was the only store on the east coast that had it at the time. Had a 40D previously that had a bad accident and needed replacing so rather than get the 50D (which is a step back from the 40D except for MP count IMO) or the 40D I've had since it came out figured now was as good of a time as any to jump on the full frame bandwagon. Won't really put it to the test until next weekend but romps around so far have proven to be awesome. Now if only I could find another LP-E6.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA

I'm sorry, but I truly never knew there was anything wrong with Canon's autofocus system, yet that seems to be a common complaint... I'd love if someone could help me to understand what's so bad about it???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.