Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I'm sorry, but I truly never knew there was anything wrong with Canon's autofocus system, yet that seems to be a common complaint... I'd love if someone could help me to understand what's so bad about it???

Nothing except for the fact it wasn't dramatically updated from the 5d MK I. I would like more AF points but it's not critical. It is definitely better than the x0D series.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I'm sorry, but I truly never knew there was anything wrong with Canon's autofocus system, yet that seems to be a common complaint... I'd love if someone could help me to understand what's so bad about it???

Really now. I use both Nikons and Canons, and I've never had ANY problems with either implementations of autofocus. Yes, Nikon has MORE focus points, but you know, sometimes more isn't better. Sometimes less is better. I DO wish Canon would update it with more focus points, but it probably won't happen until the 1Ds Mark IV. :( I love using the D300 I have at work. It's fast, and gets the job done. I personally own a 5DII, which I also love equally. If I had to choose, I'd rather use the 5DII, just because I like the ergonomics of it better. Fits better in my hands. Plus, I had already invested in L lenses, which are excellent.

People like to usually say something is better when it has a higher number. In this case, Nikon has more focus points, and Canon has more megapixels. Yes, it's definitely fact, but does that necessarily make it better? :rolleyes: Nope. Both companies make AWESOME cameras.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Just to clarify on the AF setup, it's not just carried over. They added the cross type sensors similar to the 40D/50D (although only on center, not on all points). It's not the speed demon of the 1D mkIII, but it's not the same as the original 5D either. Let's stick with facts from Canon and not comment carry-overs from forums where people didn't investigate.

I've done research and I've have not heard anything about what you've just mentioned, give me the source please. Your reply sounds like an intelligent answer, you sound like somebody who knows what they are talking about but I want your source.

As far as I know, it is the same AF system.

For me it is in low light where I have problems with the 5D yet when I use a 1D, I have no problems. I'm useless at manual for the kind of stuff I shoot so that isn't an option. :(

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yup, both companies make awesome products and as long as both remains competitive, accept the fact that they will leapfrogging each other for many years to come.

Well there is nothing wrong with Canon autofocus system, early result shows that 50D 9 cross type AF points is more sensitive then 5D archaic AF points. And I read many tests and it seems that the only the center AF point found in the 5D is most sensitive to light, the rest AF points will go nuts when there is no proper lighting.
Also, the problem with 5D AF points is that it is placed much nearer to each other compared to 50D. The nearer AF points will make useful when precision is needed but for sports photographer, this is not good for them. That is why I mentioned earlier I cant believe that Canon is marketing 5D as a studio DSLR while 50D for action. Sports photographer who wants a FF need to use the very expensive 1D something, so yea...I prefer Nikon strategy right now.

I do hope future spec of 5D MKII will be more AF points, hopefully at least 9 cross type AF points and I dun mind the 6 invisible AF points.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I've done research and I've have not heard anything about what you've just mentioned, give me the source please. Your reply sounds like an intelligent answer, you sound like somebody who knows what they are talking about but I want your source.

As far as I know, it is the same AF system.

It's in the features section of the Canon website:

Canon Link

I'm pretty certain the cross-type is new to the Autofocus, I don't recall hearing about this newer technology until the 40D came out, and the original 5D was a few years before. Sadly, the 50D has cross-type on all whereas the 5D only has it on the center, which I find quite odd, and is the only disappointment I can see on the 5DII AF.

The main people complaining about the auto-focus are disappointed action shooters. A niche*. Nikon pleased them and Canon didn't. Canon has been the sport photo king for years now with it's 1.3 crop 1D Mark II/IIn/III series, (which rings in at 'only' 10MP), they didn't feel a need to make the 5DII the new sport hero - they already reign in that market with a different body. The only Nikon's you'll see on the sidelines are the disgruntled Canon shooters that want FF. (okay, that's just a baseless comment, no merit) Congrats to Nikon for grabbing that niche, but it's exactly that - a niche.

Just because they didn't double the point areas doesn't mean they did nothing with it.

Picture 2.png

* I'm by no means saying sport photography is a niche, it's definitely a HUGE market, by niche I was referring to sport photographers that want FF. I would think the % that wants FF is small compared to those happy and making money with the 1.3 crop and the fantastic L glass.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It's in the features section of the Canon website:

Canon Link

I'm pretty certain the cross-type is new to the Autofocus, I don't recall hearing about this newer technology until the 40D came out, and the original 5D was a few years before. Sadly, the 50D has cross-type on all whereas the 5D only has it on the center, which I find quite odd, and is the only disappointment I can see on the 5DII AF.

The main people complaining about the auto-focus are disappointed action shooters. A niche*. Nikon pleased them and Canon didn't. Canon has been the sport photo king for years now with it's 1.3 crop 1D Mark II/IIn/III series, (which rings in at 'only' 10MP), they didn't feel a need to make the 5DII the new sport hero - they already reign in that market with a different body. The only Nikon's you'll see on the sidelines are the disgruntled Canon shooters that want FF. (okay, that's just a baseless comment, no merit) Congrats to Nikon for grabbing that niche, but it's exactly that - a niche.

Just because they didn't double the point areas doesn't mean they did nothing with it.

View attachment 158435

* I'm by no means saying sport photography is a niche, it's definitely a HUGE market, by niche I was referring to sport photographers that want FF. I would think the % that wants FF is small compared to those happy and making money with the 1.3 crop and the fantastic L glass.

Okay that looks good, thank you. I'm not a sports photographer I just want the 5D to focus in low light when I want it to.

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Just an FYI (and I didn't know this until the DPReview), but that piece that fell out is actually user-interchangeable:

View attachment 158340

The amazing thing is I spoke to someone at Canon about this and they said send it back...after reading this it's bloody annoying!

I know it can be popped back in as I did that but it was more the fact it fell out so easily that bugged me. Never had this problem with the mKI

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Okay that looks good, thank you. I'm not a sports photographer I just want the 5D to focus in low light when I want it to.

I'm still shooting on a 20D, which probably has the same AF as the 5D1, I'm pretty excited about the cross-type, especially cause I'm a Prime lens fan and my 135 2.0L should shine with that. I shoot center point focus 98% of the time so the other points can just go away and stop blocking my view :)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
The main people complaining about the auto-focus are disappointed action shooters. A niche*. Nikon pleased them and Canon didn't. Canon has been the sport photo king for years now with it's 1.3 crop 1D Mark II/IIn/III series, (which rings in at 'only' 10MP), they didn't feel a need to make the 5DII the new sport hero - they already reign in that market with a different body.

Understandable, but the counterpoint is that since the 5D* is a "prosumer", and that customer demogrphic is more generally interested in having good 'all around performers', so as to minimize the number of cameras he needs to justify to his wife. If the high end amateur ends up having to buy two bodies to get what he wants, he's more likely to say 'screw Canon' and go buy Nikon for the non-landscape half.

-hh

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm still shooting on a 20D, which probably has the same AF as the 5D1, I'm pretty excited about the cross-type, especially cause I'm a Prime lens fan and my 135 2.0L should shine with that. I shoot center point focus 98% of the time so the other points can just go away and stop blocking my view :)

Worth investigating. I have been looking at the prices for a second hand 1ds mk2 for the autofocus, if the 5D has been improved then I might consider it some more.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Worth investigating. I have been looking at the prices for a second hand 1ds mk2 for the autofocus, if the 5D has been improved then I might consider it some more.

Sadly I won't be able to find the quote, it was in some article I read when the 5DII was announced, but a Canon engineer was being interviewed and he stated that the 5DII had the highest picture quality of any DSLR they've made to date, including the 1Ds III that's currently their top Portrait. Granted, the CMOS sensor in the 5DII is the same that's in the 1Ds III, I'd imagine it's just the introduction of the Digic 4 vs the 1Ds III Dual Digic 3 processors.

I'd love to somehow get my budget to grab a 1D IIn for action stuff (I shoot Drag Racing during the summer months here, and my 20D AF served me okay but I would love the speed of a better AF) and then the 5DII for weddings and portraits. I'd really really love to go FF, and from what another poster said the sRAW noise quality was incredible which is a good selling point. Although I understand that any current Canon offering is going to out-do my 20D on noise (which isn't bad by any means, sometimes my 3200 shots impress me with how they turn out).

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
The amazing thing is I spoke to someone at Canon about this and they said send it back...after reading this it's bloody annoying!

I know it can be popped back in as I did that but it was more the fact it fell out so easily that bugged me. Never had this problem with the mKI

I had no idea that an interchangeable screen was even possible, so I would have been in the same boat as you. And after spending $3K I'd be a pinch hesitant on doing anything by myself, especially where a 'pressing' motion was needed.

However, the Canon rep not knowing that is pretty sad. I'm sure it's not a wildly popular feature, but they really should know the product top to bottom.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
I just use spot or partial metering and AF on the center point on my 5D1, but I'm not a sports shooter.

I never use the rest of the focus points or metering modes - habit from my film shooting days (Pentax Spotmatic F with a microprism focusing screen and a passel of SMC Takumar primes including the 85mm/f1.8. God, I loved that kit!)

The 5D2's AF system sounds fine to me.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Why did I have to look at the review?! I'm going to have to keep telling myself that I'm happy with my 40D... :(
I'm saving for the 5D mark II now...

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Really? DPReview says the sensor is actually different. Either way, both cameras offer great IQ, but I think they're a little out of my price range. :p

I stand corrected! I just assumed it was the same since the MP was the same, the FF was the same etc (similar to the Rebel/x0D carry-overs).

"The EOS 5D Mark II delivers an 8.3 megapixel jump in pixel count from the original 5D. This new sensor is said to be based on that of the EOS-1Ds Mark III (indeed it has exactly the same pixel count) but has several small changes, the hint being that it's actually slightly better." (DP Review Quote)

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008

Nope, the 5D 1 already had the 6 AF assist points, the 9 main focus points, and the 1 single cross sensor at the middle. You just missed it. I believe that they did tweak the processor for better performance, however it has been discussed when it came out and it's not new.
As for your too many points argument, that's not the problem here. The problem is that the 5D2 has slow off centre sensors. I'm not worried about how many points there are, I'm worried about how fast the off centre sensors are, and reports have proven them to be slow. Centre sensors have always been fast since the 90s, it's only the side ones that make or break the AF.

edit: i should disclaim that i bought the D700 over the 5D2 after weighing the 2 up, as i believe the D700 felt better overall, and i never print large. the AF reports were also a major factor. also, i never used to use the side sensors either on my previous cameras, however as MPs increase, focus errors are going to be more prevalent, and i would rather not focus then recompose, if i can land a focus point on the subject, not to mention it is impossible for moving subjects.

clive wallis

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Same As

I've just had to send my mkII back for repair.

Can't remember what it's called but the plastic lens thing that sits above the mirror just dropped out

went to change the lens and the plastic just dropped out with it, not impressed
we have just had the same experience with or 5 d today 1 luckily it was a back up camera because we whwere on location shooting a wedding What is the piece that fell out and was it a costly repair?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Since this thread has been resurrected, I would like to add that in the end I bought a used 1dsmk2. Its an amazing camera and I'm very happy with it. Weather proofing is so important in Swansea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.