Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Abstract said:
Lets get several things straight, because I don't want you to walk away with any misconceptions.

All cameras take photos, and the quality of the photos depend on how good a photographer YOU are. I can give you the best paint brush in the world, but can you produce the nicest painting?
You can produce the worst photos of all time with the best camera. No offense, but BakedBeans and several other members at MR would generally get better photos using an S3 than you can with a DSLR. Give me a nicer camera than the one I have now, and better lenses, and I'll still produce the amateur photos I'm producing today. :p

Photographers take the photos. The camera just catches whatever it is you are seeing.

Oh, and if you want to take macros, Nikon does this better. Even their P&S cameras are supposed to be great at this, from what I've read here.

DSLRs just happen to have greater, or lets say "finer, more precise controls" over certain settings (eg: shutter speed) than the S3. The learning curve for an S3 and any DSLR is almost identical because you have to understand what these settings are to use either camera in MANUAL mode. ;) They're both cameras, and have the same physical limitations.

The main difference is in the lenses (and the controls). With DSLRs, you get a lens based on what you'll be photographing. It offers you the chance to get another lens that does the job better than the lenses you already own.
With the Canon S3, you get a very flexible lens that can zoom in and out a lot, and can be used in 95% of situations very well. It's a single lens that gets you good results. Your DSLR will also offer you lenses that handle 95% of situations very well, but you'll probably need 2-3 different lenses with different focal lengths to do so, hence the popularity of the S3. :eek:

A DSLR may have the ability to take better photos, but if you don't have money for lenses (do you have future plans?), then a 350D with 18-55 kit lense probably won't be as useful as the S3 is for you.

Then yes, get the DSLR.

A "kit" doesn't imply something negative. A kit is like a "starter kit" --- it's another word for "package". They package a camera and a lens together. Canon's kit generally bundles the 350D with the cheap 18-55 mm lens for those who don't have Canon lenses already and are starting out. If Canon wanted to bundle a camera and a GOOD lens together, they could.

What will you shoot?
If you're starting out, get a DSLR from the company that offers you the lenses that you think you'll want in the future. Canon does sports very well, but I don't shoot sports. :p I also think the 350D is too small and feels cheap, and I wasn't fond of the ergonomics, so I went with a Nikon D50 even though I originally wanted the Canon 350D.

The main reason I bough a Nikon 5 months ago was because I knew what sort of photos I liked (landscapes and macros), after doing some research on companies and lenses, I already knew what lenses I eventually wanted (a wideangle lens, a macro lens, and the 18-200mm VR-II (Nikon's equivalent to "IS") for every other situation, a lens that Canon simply can't match right now). Olympus or Pentax also make great cameras that offer a LOT of features, and probably have the best price/performance ratio, so if cost is a concern, then....

From these 5 possibilities, I'd get the 18-55 mm, and the 55-200 mm. Even though they aren't great lenses, at least you have them when you need them. What's worse, a photo taken using a bad lens, or not being able to take the photo you wanted to at all? ;) You can't even tell what sort of lens you used to take a photo unless you were an absolutely ace photographer.

The 17-85 mm lens, and the price you're looking at for the lens is probably brilliant. It would make a fantastic lens for general use......something to use on your DSLR most of the time. However, if you decide that you love shooting landscapes and macros, then you just spent A LOT more £££ on the 17-85 mm IS, which isn't the best for EITHER situation. :rolleyes: I have a small, thin P&S camera for family gatherings, friends, parties, etc. I don't use my DSLR for general photos of friends and family. Most of them are actually intimidated by the size of the bloody thing when I try to take their photo! :p

If you wanted to shoot landscapes and macros, you'd be better off getting the 18-55mm kit lens for general photos, 55-200 mm to shoot things far away, and use the £270 you saved towards a Sigma 105mm macro lens, and eventually a wideangle Tokina 12-24 mm lens for landscapes. You'd still have the 18-55 mm and 55-200 mm as well. (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina offer cheaper alternatives that are sometimes 99% as good as the ones from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc)

If you find that you want to shoot macros and portraits, then you can use the £270 you saved to buy a single 105 mm f/2.8 lens from Canon/Sigma/Tokina, which can be used for both macros AND portraits. ;)

If you find that you're shooting children's school plays, concerts, etc.... in low light situations, an 85 mm f/1.4 lens (or lots of other lenses) that lets a lot more light in (much more light than the 17-85mm) is better.

My point is that you don't even know what you want to shoot yet, so why invest in something now?

Better lenses?
And the fact about "better lenses" is that even if you were to take a photo using the 18-55mm rather than an expensive £700 lens, most people wouldn't even be able to tell you the difference by looking at the photo. You might be able to tell the difference if you took a photo of the same object using each lens, printed both photos out in a large format and held them side by side, but otherwise, don't worry about it. It's just that some lenses are better at not producing "flares", "chromatic abberation", "vignetting", etc, than the cheaper lenses. An expensive lens will also be slightly sharper, but whatever.

Wow! Thanks for being ridiculously helpful!

I've considered what you've written. Especially with regards to how Canon and Nikon are regarded as superior in different types of photography (sports vs macros/landscapes, like you say). Although it is always impossible to second-guess how your interests will develop, I can honestly see myself getting into macros (and, to a lesser extent, landscapes). This is what I've been shooting on my dads (very crappy and old) low-end P&S. I certainly won't be shooting any sports. In that case it sounds like I should be looking at Nikon; most probably the D70s or D50.

Looking around the web, I found the Nikon D70s with the standard 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Lens for £616. This to me sounds like a good deal and perhaps my best option, although I may be wrong (if I am, please correct me!). The lens are very flexible in what they'll shoot (though no VR), not super expensive, and the body is of good quality. At some point in the future I would probably want to invest in a dedicated macro lens as I get more familiar. Also, living in inner-London, I'd love to just take my camera out and take some urban shots (whether it be architecture, graffiti, transport, people, etc) so I'm guessing investing in something similar to your 18-200mm VR-II at a later date would be good for that sort of on-the-go photography???

Thankyou again for all your help!

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Hey, I haven't read all the posts but the general gist I'm getting is that recommendations have slowly moved from an Ixus to an SLR.

Judging by personal experience, I think you should get an Ixus. Bout three years ago, I was just like you wanting to get into photography as a hobby. Cheap SLRs weren't available and ever so slowly I moved away from the thought of a point and shoot to an SLR-like camera. Eventually I ended up getting the Minolta 7Hi.

This was a great camera cos it came with a built in lens that went from 28mm to 200mm so I had my wide angle and a bit of telephoto.
The only problem with the setup however is that this camera is big. Its not SLR big but it still was a bit of a pain to carry around because its size (and price) warranted me bringing its case with me everytime I ventured out. Needless to say this setup wasn't very conducive to nurturing my interest in photography.

This time last year I bought an Ixus 50 and I haven't looked back( In all honesty I havent touched my Minolta). I cant recommend this little camera enough. Its all metal so its nice and sturdy and it is so small that I just chuck it in my bag or pocket and take it with me everywhere. When you're starting out this is what you need. Having such a small camera means you can take it everywhere and so photo opportunites will always present themselves.

Its very easy to overbuy when you start off cos you want to be able to grow into the camera. However you said yourself that this purchase will see you through bout 1-2 yrs. In that case by the Ixus 50. It may not have all the functions of an slr but the limitations it places on you will help to train your eye and make you a better photographer. A year down the road, you can buy whatever is the latest SLR but right now keep it simple. Starting out, your main priority should be to just experiment and keep taking pictures.

I think you said you're from Britain, in which case I think you should visit http://www.Pixmania.co.uk. Right now you can get an Ixus 55 with a 1GB card and an extra battery for £228.50. Thats a steal if ever I saw one.

The reason I recommend the Ixus 55 is because 5Megapixels is sorta the sweet spot. At that size you can print reasonably big images and still fit loads of photos on your memory card. The benefits of 5+megapixels are hard to justify right now in terms of the overall improvements in quality.

Anyhoo, best of luck with your decision. Keep it simple is my motto.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
You sound like you're at the point of going to a camera store and seeing the models. I recommend the S3 as a full-featured, versitile all-in-one camera with the manual control option or P&S functionality. Some of my favorite photos have come out of my Canon Elph (which is with me more often than my 30D, which I love). Think about how you'll use (realistically) the camera in the next year or two. I think the S3 is going to be a great throw-in-the-bag or jacket pocket option - more likely to travel with you out with friends for snap shots.

Some great discussion sites to check out:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com
http://www.nikonians.org
http://www.photography-on-the.net (go to forums)
http://www.fredmiranda.com

Good luck.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^I agree. I don't think some people understand just how good and advanced these new P&S cameras are nowadays. It's not point and shoot. They have manual features like the ones on DSLRs. I shoot with an S2 IS owned by my University for uni events, and other than for concerts, where it takes really noisy images when it's dark, it takes great photos. And the fact that you can use the LCD and tilt it at different angles makes it much easier to use than a DSLR. It's impossible to shoot with a DSLR if you're at one of these concerts.

Look here for "bridging" cameras....somewhere between basic P&S, and a DSLR.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1660/xx/xx/1/1/criteresn.html

But if you're convinced that you're going to go take a photography class, hold the 350D, D50, and D70s in your hand and decide which camera you want based on how they feel. Don't listen to the sales rep at all (could have a bias towards one company), and don't worry about the lenses for now, because both companies offer you a great lens solution for anything you choose to shoot, including macros. Just don't buy a camera that doesn't feel right.

I don't have the 18-200 mm VR yet. I rarely ever find the need to zoom in on something far away (and if I do, I simply use my legs), so this lens purchase can wait. Canon carries great lenses, but as a walk-around lens, the 18-200 with VR can't be beat right now, and that's a lens I knew I would find very useful, and nobody but Nikon offers it. That's one reason I went with Nikon. For now, the Nikkor 18-55mm is good enough for general photography. Also, it comes close enough to being a macro until I get a real macro lens. It has a maximum reproduction ratio of 1:4 (a real macro lens is at least 1:2, but most are 1:1), while most non-macro lenses are like 1:8 and can't produce anything that remotely resembles a macro. :)

And I didn't mean to imply that Canon's weren't good at taking macros or something. I'm sure they're great.

Once you put some money into lenses, then it's really difficult to switch brands, so know what you like before you commit. Again, hold them all in your hand and decide which is most comfortable.

Oh, and so you know, the D70s kit that comes with the 18-70 mm lens is better than the Canon 18-55 mm AND the Nikon 18-55mm (neither are great, but after reading some more, the Nikon isn't as bad as the Canon), and you're getting the 18-70mm at a steal. It's a fantastic, somewhat pricey lens. :)

But do consider the 350D anyway. It feels cheaper, but maybe you'll like the incredibly small size. The D70s feels massive. The D50 is a size in between, but lacks several useful features of the D70s.

EDIT: Oh my......

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/107523/art/nikon/d50-black-af-s-dx-18-55-m.html
That sounds like a fantastic deal.

Same with this one for the Canon:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/127669/art/canon/eos-eos-350d-ef-s-18-55-i.html?itag=4577

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Canon 18-55 Mk II Kit Lens Samples

Abstract said:
Oh, and so you know, the D70s kit that comes with the 18-70 mm lens is better than the Canon 18-55 mm AND the Nikon 18-55mm (neither are great, but after reading some more, the Nikon isn't as bad as the Canon), and you're getting the 18-70mm at a steal.

I have heard good things about the 18-70 dx kit lens bundled with the D70s. The Canon 18-55 Mk II (the kit lens now in its second incarnation) is not bad, especially stopped up a little bit. Given that it's essentially $100 additional to get it with a body, it's not a bad addition to any crop Canon body. Here are a few Canon 18-55 Mk II shots on a Canon EOS 30D - the first is at ISO 1250 - I meant to dial it down, but overlooked it for that moment (the brighter close up), the hooded sweatshirt photo is at ISO 800; however, our Charles Baudelaire loving friend should not get too excited about the zoom range, the giraffe was less than three feet from me and I had to get out of the way because its remarkably long tongue was coming for my camera (that shot is around 39mm). All three are fine JPEGs with no post processing (Camera to iPhoto to website links).

http://homepage.mac.com/tjparadise/.Pictures/2006 Photographs/May 2006/IMG_0831.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/tjparadise/.Pictures/2006 Photographs/Late April - Early May/IMG_0766.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/tjparadise/.Pictures/2006 Photographs/Late April - Early May/IMG_0784.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.