Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cgratti said:
for about $200 more you could buy the Canon Digital Rebel (300D). This camera you can always buy more lenses for it if you get deeper into photography, or you can just use the kit lens if it's all you ever need.

6.3MP and great for beginners.

This is an old review, so the prices are alot less now than when this was posted.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

How does that fit his need for a small camera with easy controls that also fits in his pocket? Big difference between an SD450 and a 300D/Digital Rebel XT, no?

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Abstract said:
How does that fit his need for a small camera with easy controls that also fits in his pocket? Big difference between an SD450 and a 300D/Digital Rebel XT, no?
Didn't read the rest of his posts, just the first post of the thread he wrote.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I personally bought this camera for my mom. She loves it. Very small and compact, great looks, and easy to use. It also take great pictures and has some nice settings. I wouldn't recommend buying it at best buy though. Dell usually has great deals for this camera. Probably a standard 10-15% off the price, plus you can get a coupon on ebay for 35 dollars off the purchase of 300 for like 2 bucks. Shipping free there too.
I ended up paying $277 for this exact camera, Shipped and all!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I just bought this camera, and I love it. It is small, easy to use, and takes goof pictures. With it bought a Canon accessory pack that included a basic case, and an extra battery, which I would recommend for you also. You'll want both of these things and the accessory pack was hardly more than buying a battery separately.

Reading the list of what you are looking for in a camera, this one seems perfect for you.

However...

I did have compatibility issues with the camera importing directly into iPhoto (I use a little USB SD card reader to transfer). I was using an iBook and iPhoto '05. I actually have iPhoto '06 now (and a MBP!). I haven't tried it since upgrading--reading this thread makes me think the issues may have been resolved. I'll try this tonight and try to remember to post back...

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
iSee said:
I just bought this camera, and I love it. It is small, easy to use, and takes goof pictures. With it bought a Canon accessory pack that included a basic case, and an extra battery, which I would recommend for you also. You'll want both of these things and the accessory pack was hardly more than buying a battery separately.

Reading the list of what you are looking for in a camera, this one seems perfect for you.

However...

I did have compatibility issues with the camera importing directly into iPhoto (I use a little USB SD card reader to transfer). I was using an iBook and iPhoto '05. I actually have iPhoto '06 now (and a MBP!). I haven't tried it since upgrading--reading this thread makes me think the issues may have been resolved. I'll try this tonight and try to remember to post back...

Thanks for the review, and that'd be great if you could post on compatibility issues (and congrats on the MBP).

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
After a long delay...

:eek: Sorry for the long delay...
The SD450 is compatible with the MBP (10.4.6, firmware update, iLife 06) The photos come right in. :) :)

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
iSee said:
:eek: Sorry for the long delay...
The SD450 is compatible with the MBP (10.4.6, firmware update, iLife 06) The photos come right in. :) :)

Thanks! I was really confused why Apple would be selling but not supporting these cameras. Good to know they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.