Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
Does anyone know how to get the images off from the camera (400D) without using the EOS utility?

Because the EOS utility won't run in Rosetta on an Intel Mac running OS 10.4.6 or higher, much to my amazement and disappointment. No Intel Macs at work but tried it on a friend's iMac and yeah, no dice. So I had a quick look at the readme file...

Even on PPC Macs, the camera doesn't seem to mount as a drive as many other models do so you can't do a drag and drop from the camera. :(

Yeah Blue, no Canon cameras mount as drives. I've never understood why -It's quite a bummer. Did you try Image Capture?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Blue Velvet said:
Does anyone know how to get the images off from the camera (400D) without using the EOS utility?

Because the EOS utility won't run in Rosetta on an Intel Mac running OS 10.4.6 or higher, much to my amazement and disappointment. No Intel Macs at work but tried it on a friend's iMac and yeah, no dice. So I had a quick look at the readme file...

Even on PPC Macs, the camera doesn't seem to mount as a drive as many other models do so you can't do a drag and drop from the camera. :(

Which version of the support software did you get with the Camera? My Japanese camera came with (partially) Universal software. I could image the CD and PM you a download location if you want?

Attachments

• CanonUtils.gif
    CanonUtils.gif
    125.4 KB · Views: 203

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Mike Teezie said:
Did you try Image Capture?

No, was in a bit of a hurry and forgot about that entirely... bit new to this digital camera game (though I'm sure I've got residues of developer and fix still in my body).

Image Capture seems to working fine on OS 10.4.7... Thanks, Mike. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

I'll try it on the work Macs though although I don't hold out much hope; they're all running OS 10.3.4.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
robbieduncan said:
Which version of the support software did you get with the Camera? My Japanese camera came with (partially) Universal software. I could image the CD and PM you a download location if you want?

The UK one... but Image Capture seems to do the trick. Thanks though, Robbie. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Blue Velvet said:
The UK one... but Image Capture seems to do the trick. Thanks though, Robbie. :)

:D I meant the numerical version! My EOS Digital Solutions Disk is 13.0. You might be able to get an update from Canon?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
robbieduncan said:
:D I meant the numerical version!

Oh. :eek: :p

<chuckle>

I dunno, the disk is at work... I have an image of it on the Shuffle but haven't installed it here at home yet and am wondering whether I need to as Image Capture is working fine. My main concern is: Making it virtually foolproof for anyone using the camera at work to get images onto their Mac. Image Capture seems to be the solution.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Blue Velvet said:
Oh. :eek: :p

<chuckle>

I dunno, the disk is at work... I have an image of it on the Shuffle but haven't installed it here at home yet and am wondering whether I need to as Image Capture is working fine. My main concern is: Making it virtually foolproof for anyone using the camera at work to get images onto their Mac. Image Capture seems to be the solution.

Image capture works fine, but is anybody having the problem using the other canon tools (e.g. camerawindow on a ppc with 10.4.8?). There was a fix to do it on 10.4.7 (using the older usb drivers), but this doesn't work on 10.4.8. You don't really need these tool for everyday use, but if you want to edit the camera settings, you can't connect to the camera. (editing owner information, changing shooting profiles).

mistafreeze

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Currently, I'm just using adobe lightroom to import my photos and auto convert to dng.

I wish aperture could read these DNG's but it cannot.

I also wish when you rate images inside of lightroom it would show up in bridge, or atleast vice versa, but it does not.

nor is the metadata available in both applications (if I apply a template in bridge, it does not show up in lightroom, and when i import and add metadata to the import in lightroom, the metadata does not show up in raw)

I can understand why bridge may not read lightrooms metadata, as it is beta, but i cannot understand why lightroom, an adobe product, cannot read meta data provided by bridge on adobes DNG format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.