Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Except the 40D is not discontinued and the 50D was announced 7 months ago. If I were Canon, I'd see if I could put the AF system from the 1D into the 50D and try to compete with the D300 on more equal footing. I just don't know what target they're trying to hit with these cameras.
The same target Nikon, Sony, and the others are trying to hit with similar cameras.

Why should Canon change an AF that works? I see no problems whatsoever with the AF system used on the XT I used for over four years, nor the AF system on the 40D I am now using. It's a matter of what you are used to: if you like the menu, or the AF system Nikon uses, then you may not understand or like the menu, or the AF system Canon (or Sony) uses. Perhaps this is a sort of Chevy versus Ford thing?

nickey399

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
purchasing a digital camera

Can anyone give me advice on purchasing a digital slr camera. I am leaning towards the canon xsi. I had the canon rebel 35mm years ago and I loved that camera. Most of the pictures I will be taking will be of my son.
thank you

mabcan

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Oeiras, Portugal
Canon EOS 50D 15.1MP SLR vs. Nikon D90 DSLR 12.1

Hi,

I have a Canon 50D. It is a great camera, but due to its 15,2 Mpixel sensor it needs better lenses. That means working with "L" lenses, and there it outperforms in quality. My all-around lens is a 17.40 f:4.0 L, which are an excellent combination. Also a 70-200 f 4.0 L IS is an excellent lens in performance with this body. Remember the crop factor is 1.6, that means that with this 2 lenses you'll have from 27,2 - 68,0mm to a 112-320 mm covering at a fix f 4.0.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Plus I think the 40D/50D difference isn't much different than the XS/XSi difference. By hitting more price points you stay open to a wider audience. Offering a few more features on a newer model may make a person upgrade and spend a few more bucks. If they don't want to step up to the new model/cant step up to the new model, Canon has an existing camera they already developed (in this case the 40D) to offer. It doesn't do much in the way of streamlining a product mix, but you have to think there are people at Canon who have done the research of each model cannibalizing each others sales vs creating more sales. Just my opinion...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Perhaps not "a halt," but both Canon and Nikon have not done well marketwise on the first quarter of 2009. Look at both companies profit reports for 2009.

A. Both companies are still in Q4 2009, their fiscal year is not the same as the calendar year, so we don't get reports for 2009 yet, and the reports we do get are for 3 quarters of 2009 so far- 4th quarter results won't be out for a couple of months yet, and Q1 2009 started in May 08. So if you're referring to calendar year 1Q 2009, that's not ending until the end of the month and reports won't be out until probably May. So, looking at both companies reports for 2009 will only show through December 2008.

B. Nikon still showed a profit, just a reduced one- as did Canon. They have both done well in the marketplace- the marketplace is not doing well, but given the slump in sales both companies are performing reasonably well (Though Canon's profits were down ore than analysts' expectations.) This quarter will suck, production cuts, layoffs and things like that will happen- but there's no indication that FY08 will show losses for either company from what I've read in the financial statements, projections or corporate statements.

C. The value of the Yen has had probably almost as much effect as the slowing sales- if there's an unknown unknown, that's it. Nikon's considering moving more production off-shore because of it.

D. Neither company seems to have a magic business unit that's not going to be hit by the slump, but neither company seems to be hemorrhaging money with their imaging divisions, unlike some other companies, such as Leica who seem to be expecting serious losses.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
LMAO ... What? Are you serious?

Yes. I was speaking about image quality, and it's true:

50DvsXSi.png

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Like I tell everyone, do your RESEARCH, and go to the store and play around with the camera's that you're looking at. And this is also very important: LOOKING AT EACH BRAND'S LENSE! I think Canon's lineup is a lot less confusing, and generally costs a little cheaper when making comparisons. They separate their consumer lines and pro lines by standard EF/EF-S and L series lenses. Makes a lot more sense than Nikon's gibberish. ;)

How is Nikon's "gibberish" confusing? DX for crop, gold ring for high-end lenses. Nikon didn't do full-frame until recently; that's why while Canon won't do EF-S L series lenses, Nikon has gold ring DX lenses.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Plus I think the 40D/50D difference isn't much different than the XS/XSi difference. By hitting more price points you stay open to a wider audience. Offering a few more features on a newer model may make a person upgrade and spend a few more bucks. If they don't want to step up to the new model/cant step up to the new model, Canon has an existing camera they already developed (in this case the 40D) to offer. It doesn't do much in the way of streamlining a product mix, but you have to think there are people at Canon who have done the research of each model cannibalizing each others sales vs creating more sales. Just my opinion...

Perhaps there is not a huge difference between the Canon 40D and the 50D, but there is a huge difference from these two and the XSi, and even XTi. Even the body of a 40D or 50D is made of a different material, and one has full control of the camera's function at one's fingertips, unlike the X-series cameras.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Perhaps there is not a huge difference between the Canon 40D and the 50D, but there is a huge difference from these two and the XSi, and even XTi. Even the body of a 40D or 50D is made of a different material, and one has full control of the camera's function at one's fingertips, unlike the X-series cameras.

I think you may have misunderstood - Above there was discussion about why the 40D continued to be produced with the 50D released. I was saying the difference between the 40D/50D is the same as the difference between the XS/XSi.... not that the 40D/50D are similar to the XS/XSi.

Though I will say based on what Phrasikleia posted above, its seems the divide isn't as wide as most would like you to believe. Granted the xxD series has bigger magnesium bodies, a different button layout, and perhaps some other minor things like frames per second, etc, but the actual image quality difference may be nominal.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I own a XSi and I love it. In my mind it is the perfect camera for someone getting into photography. I have taken my XSi all over the country since in got it last August. I love the LCD controls and how natural it feels in my hand. Plus with the money you save getting it over the 50D or D90, you can buy yourself a great L lens. I do have a few pictures up on my flickr page from this camera. Link in sig.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I think you may have misunderstood - Above there was discussion about why the 40D continued to be produced with the 50D released. I was saying the difference between the 40D/50D is the same as the difference between the XS/XSi.... not that the 40D/50D are similar to the XS/XSi.

Though I will say based on what Phrasikleia posted above, its seems the divide isn't as wide as most would like you to believe. Granted the xxD series has bigger magnesium bodies, a different button layout, and perhaps some other minor things like frames per second, etc, but the actual image quality difference may be nominal.

I stand corrected about image quality. But in relation to cameral controls, settings, and structural strength, the 40D and 50D leave the X-series far behind. I use both, and can tell you that using a 40D compared to my XT is a big difference. The controls are all at one's fingertips (40D), it's rugged, and heavy. Not only that, but while the X-series have plastic bodies, and 10-series (40D, 50D) have alloy bodies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.