Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The D3 was a huge boost for Nikon, and a year after its release, Nikon was back to having a significant amount of the sports shooters at the 2008 Olympics.

Sports Illustrated's crew at the 2009 Super Bowl used Nikon, as was detailed in a photo.net article (a later one detailed the same in Beijing).

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Before spending any money I would suggest you invest in some basic photography books. I'm surprised people are here making recommendations when you obviously have a lot of learning to do. No, I'm not being mean, I'm trying to save you some expensive mistakes. I have a 5dII and you by no means need that camera unless you are rich. If you have money to burn then get one and some L lenses and call it good. Do some reading, educate yourself. Macrumors shouldn't be your source of photography education.

haha +3!

Ruahrc

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I started with a 40D, and while I understandably have gear lust for a 5D MkII, I don't need it. The 40D does everything I need, and the 50D will do that for you.

AND, when I took my camera to Steelers training camp, that 6.3 frames per second of the 40D/50D really came in handy. The 5D MkII is half that.

AND, the 40D's 10.1mp files are plenty large, as will be the 50D's 15mp files... the 5D MkII's 21mp files are HUGE. Bigger is great, but more than you need isn't necessarily better.

AND, the 50D costs less. You can pair it with the 100-400L for only a little more than the price of a 5D MkII.

Bottom line, the 50D is plenty of camera, a camera that will take as good a shot as you can frame up and shoot.

Regarding the mini- Canon/Nikon war; it is all smoke. Choose one, choose the other, both are amazing machines, both worthy of respect. Don't get distracted by the sideshow. Buy the one you like and go shoot photos without looking back.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
And for those recommending Nikon, if you're shooting sports - then Canon it is. If you ever look along the sidelines of a sporting event, you'll see the distinctive white of the L-series large telephotos on almost every tripod. They'll usually be attached to a EOS 1D, a pro camera designed for outdoor sports photography - its weather sealed and has a high frame rate with a 1.3x crop sensor.

1. If you look on the desktops of home users and companies, you'll see PCs. Does that make Apple a bad choice?

2. Canon offered heavy discounts and loaner equipment to media companies and sports shooters for a lot of years.

3. Until the D3, Nikon hadn't updated its professional sports body since the 4MP D2h, leaving sports shooters with little choice.

4. Please explain how the AF system in a 1D translates to the AF system in a 5dmkII or 50D.

5. Please explain how the frame rate of the 1D translates to the 5DmkII and 50D.

6. Please explain how the weather sealing in a 1D translates into a...

7. Please explain the exponential growth rate of D3 and D700 bodies at sporting events given the price of switching systems.

While the marketing folks at Nikon and Canon indeed hope that people will think that seeing their cameras in a certain place or for a certain use will translate to people who have no intention of purchasing their high-end models buying their lower-end products the truth is that such comparisons ultimate need a lot more analysis than "I saw a bunch of that company's gear at a (pick an event.)"

How does it translate? For instance, if Canon weren't spending hundreds of thousands on sending people and loaner equipment to sporting events, and Nikon weren't now competing to do the same, perhaps Canon could have afforded to put a more accurate AF sensor in the 5DmkII, and Nikon could have done more work on video AF in the D90.

The 1DmkIII is a great camera, the 50D is a great camera, but to equate the two is like saying that because the Nikon D3x is measured as the highest image quality camera this side of $22,000 the D40 is going to produce great ultra-large prints.

When you're shooting for money, small edges give you an advantage over the next person- the D3's edge in AF accuracy has a fair number of sports shooters switching. It's edge in ISO has lots of wedding photographers switching- but sometimes those switching are switching more for perception or to make up for a lack of skill than for a slight technical advantage- and without knowing a lot more, it's rather silly to try to apply a blanket reason to a swath of shooters with a swath of skills and motivations.

For instance, is a wedding shooter switching to a high-ISO body because of poorly lit venues, or because they couldn't light a cigar with a bonfire in the middle of an active volcano, or both? Are the ones who switched to Canon from Nikon now switching back because of performance, preference or stupidity? Are the ones switching from Canon to Nikon for the first time motivated by single-body quirks, hullabaloo from Internet fora, or something different? Are the switch numbers as large as they seem, or is it that switchers are more vocal? Are they all going to switch back when the next Canon comes out? How many people are buying one or two additional bodies and a couple of lenses for a particular purpose? How many people are spending large sums to get the "best quality" then throwing poor-quality filters with bad color casts on them and shooting above base ISO to give them a better chance of getting focus? Are they getting results that are as good as if they'd just gotten adequate gear? Do some shooters buy the high-end bodies just so Uncle Joe at the wedding won't make them look outclassed in front of the other guests?

I was actually at a rather large US media company (Gannett) when Canon came courting the photo department of our largest publication (USA Today)- when you're shooting for newsprint almost anyone can give you acceptable IQ, that's not the major deciding factor in which vendor to choose, and when your staff is already shooting old equipment (find me an industry that hangs on to old crap longer than the newspaper industry and I'll be surprised) anything newer is going to do better.

If your sum criterion is "A bunch of companies bought from that vendor, so you should do it for your use too" then you'd be running a Dell with XP on it while Microsoft keeps trying to get you to "upgrade" to a new OS.

If the OP is interested in Canon, then they should get a 40D, it'll do the job well and the extra money can go into glass.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Compuwar, I don't like your tone, this isn't the place to hold a reasonable discussion about cameras, we're fanbois and its all about picking sides from the get go and throwing all logical reasoning and practicalities out of the window. Any more of this talk and I'm reporting you to the moderators.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Compuwar, I don't like your tone, this isn't the place to hold a reasonable discussion about cameras, we're fanbois and its all about picking sides from the get go and throwing all logical reasoning and practicalities out of the window. Any more of this talk and I'm reporting you to the moderators.

Nevermind- just figured out this is sarcasm...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Good. But it is intended as a compliment as well mind.

Thanks! I think the pace of technology hurts the whole "brand reputation" model because so much these days model-specific and even traditional "do it our way" companies have to acknowledge that the Internet makes fixing things crucial, no matter if it's a focus module or a hole in your product line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.