Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Then I realized how poor the build of the 5d is. The AF is ridiculously bad, something I thought I could get around because I was not going to use the canon for sports. The interface is clunky and dumbed down feeling. The focus points are a joke. I didn't bother to try the video, I just reboxed it all and loaded up eBay. I really wanted to like this camera, because I sold off at least one lens I really loved in anticipation for the mpe-65. But it is just no where near the same level as a nikon camera. I can say the ISO was very nice.

When you say poor build, I'm immediately drawn to the early Digital Rebel complaints- and I'm wondering if it's not just a feel issue? Most of the DRs felt really flimsy but didn't seem to fair too poorly in the real world.

I've only recently begun to use AF in portraiture, the focus points are never where I want them, and it's much easier for me to manually focus and recompose than to focus lock on a portrait (I wish all lenses had focus override buttons like my 400 does!) If you haven't already sold it, you may want to try MF for a few portraits and see if that's worth it over the loss in changing back.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
The Canon 1D Mark III shoots up to 10 FPS. I think it may be full frame as well.

I think Canon's numbering gets a bit confusing.

1dIII is not FF..and ...has well known focusing issues. Despite this, it can make great images, but a lot of pro sports shooters are dumping them and for good reason. Resell value will be low as the cam now has a bad rep.

The 5dII is also having some issues that are well talked about at the 5d dpreview forum. Canon has acknowledged the issues...btw. At least they learned a lesson from denying the 1dIII issues.

====

OP...imo, you're comparing apples to oranges. The 5dII would be great for landscapes and studio work as well as making MASSIVE prints. Btw, I would say the same thing about the 24MP Nikon D3X. Neither cam interests *me*.
While the extra resolution is always welcomed...you will need to print VERY large to actually *see* it.

The d700 is great for landscapes, studio, etc too.....BUT....if you want to shoot action?....the d700 will run circles around the 5dII. High FPS and Pro AF in the d700. The d700 is a FAR more versatile machine than the 5dII.

I'm back shooting Nikon and very happily! Both Canon and Nikon make great lenses.

As to video...
If you need that function...then the choice is easy. The 5dII does amazingly well, yet I still don't "get" why someone into video would choose a 5dII as their tool. Vincent does great work indeed...quite the character too!

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
As to video...
If you need that function...then the choice is easy. The 5dII does amazingly well, yet I still don't "get" why someone into video would choose a 5dII as their tool. Vincent does great work indeed...quite the character too!

Because they can't afford Panavision. Because they're not with a major studio. Because film isn't an option. Because they want to shoot night scenes and not blow the budget on lighting. Because they can use FAST Prime Lenses for amazing control over DOF compared to other high-end HD Cams. Because there are already several accessories for the 5D like a steadicam rig etc that are making it more usable for smaller productions.

I can "get" why people would use the video feature of it.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
With red rentals as cheap as they are (in my town at least), no one is going to be shooting anything of importance on these cameras. They will be nice for birrhdays and whatnot. Also remember the audio is still handicapped.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Because they can't afford Panavision. Because they're not with a major studio. Because film isn't an option. Because they want to shoot night scenes and not blow the budget on lighting. Because they can use FAST Prime Lenses for amazing control over DOF compared to other high-end HD Cams. Because there are already several accessories for the 5D like a steadicam rig etc that are making it more usable for smaller productions.

I can "get" why people would use the video feature of it.

Sounds cool....very interesting points. It seems to me though, there are alternatives still better for video capture...that are easily less than Panavision ;) ...that do not require film. Home Depot is a gold mine for creating lighting rigs for little cash.

I guess I still don't really "get" it. Oh well.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I post this one day after I listed my 5dmk2 on eBay.

I originally shot a d300. I wasn't happy with the d300 for portrait work, so I got rid of some of my nikon lenses and decided to buy a 5dmk2 and a few primes. I got the camera and an 85 1.8.

Then I realized how poor the build of the 5d is. The AF is ridiculously bad, something I thought I could get around because I was not going to use the canon for sports. The interface is clunky and dumbed down feeling. The focus points are a joke. I didn't bother to try the video, I just reboxed it all and loaded up eBay. I really wanted to like this camera, because I sold off at least one lens I really loved in anticipation for the mpe-65. But it is just no where near the same level as a nikon camera. I can say the ISO was very nice.

I was interested in buying the 5Dmk2 but once I heard Canon didn't update the focusing I lost interest. I didn't care about anything else other than the ISO performance but I'm not going to buy one until the focusing is updated.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I was interested in buying the 5Dmk2 but once I heard Canon didn't update the focusing I lost interest. I didn't care about anything else other than the ISO performance but I'm not going to buy one until the focusing is updated.

What do you mean, "the focusing"? The number of autofocus points? The speed? (I think it's very fast unless you're using slow lenses in poor light.) The focus issues early on with the 1D series have been worked out for a long time, and I haven't heard of any others.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Grimace by slow AF I mean it is incredibly slow comparing a USM 1.8 to a Nikon SWM at 2.8. I don't know what the issue is, but the AF of a D300 is way ahead.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
What do you mean, "the focusing"? The number of autofocus points? The speed? (I think it's very fast unless you're using slow lenses in poor light.) The focus issues early on with the 1D series have been worked out for a long time, and I haven't heard of any others.

The AF in the 5dII is prosumer *at best*. Definitely not the equal of the Nikon d700 or d300 for that matter. Again, if you shoot landscapes, who cares?...but if you shoot any action, it's pretty mediocre (trying to be nice) for the price point of the cam IMO. I'm not suggesting it's horrible at all...just that.... considering the price of the cam...yowsa. To me, the 5dII is a strange beast with strong pluses and significant minuses. Nikon really "raised the bar" by adding Pro AF / fps into a $1500 cam (d300).

The issues with the 1dIII AF are still not corrected. For Details galore on this issue, looky here:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068

Most of my Canon shooter friends have switched back to the 1dIIn...a very nice cam with reliable focus.

Supposedly, Canon will soon release a firmware update to fix the "black dot" issue with the 5dII.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

I should have been more detailed.

The focus points haven't changed but that never really bothered me, I only ever use the centre one.

From the reviews I've read the speed is the same because Canon haven't updated any part of the focus components and the 5D is starting to lag when it comes to the newest lenses. If I could find the review I would share it with you.

The 1D series I don't have an issue with and are a joy to use.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wasn't trying to pick a fight - sorry if it came off that way. There is a bit more of a discrepancy in your hemisphere ('though all of the high-end Nikon lenses say "On Special" and the Canons do not).

No, you're still right in Australia (where he's from). ;)

Nikon lenses are generally more expensive than Canon's equivalent lenses, if you (try to) compare equivalent lenses.

And Ted's is one of the worst camera shops in Australia, and some of the worst prices. No idea why you'd shop there.

Personally, if you need the video capabilities, you have no choice but to get the Canon 5D-II. However, if you're buying this photographic tool to take photographs with the best quality possible, I honestly believe the D700 is a better camera. The Nikon sliiightly better in low light (not surprisingly), it has a far better focusing system, higher fps, and Nikon's flash system is better than Canon's (and everyone elses).

The Canon has 21 MP and decent video capabilities. However, if you're willing to spend so much money on a DSLR, and the lenses you need to go with it, it's probably because you care about the quality of your images. Why not put the same care into the quality of your videos? If you're also interested in video, why not get a proper HD video camera that provides the proper ergonomics that a real video camera would give you? :confused: You're going to get a great DSLR for the image quality, and skimp on the video camera. :eek: It's probably much better to spend less and get a D300 (or Canon 40D (don't like the 50D at all....sorry)), and then spend a bit more on getting an HD video camera.

Anyway, with the Canon, the 21 MP means you can crop more, particularly at ISO 200, 400, and 800, where noise reduction algorithms won't smear the extra details away. However, once you start shooting at ISO 1600 and above, I'm not sure. I'm not exactly certain of when this happens (as I've never investigated), but I'm guessing that by ISO 3200 or 6400, the amount of detail is going to be very similar despite the difference in pixels, since the NR algorithms of the Canon will have to be slightly more heavy-handed than with the Nikon (you can't beat physics), and will smear some of the fine details away.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Skunk, just to nitpick on you, I don't believe this is correct. The 5D MKII will go up to 25,600 , which is quite a feat since my 5D classic only goes to 3200.

No, you aren't nitpicking at all. I was wrong. I checked back and the 5D does go to 25,600. I haven't seen any images taken at that ISO from the 5D yet however.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, from the pictures I've seen, the D700 is still much better from ISO 3200 and higher, and a little better at ISO 1600. Am I incorrect in that statement? I am still deciding between the two cameras at the moment (since my last thread a month or so asking the same question).
True but take note that the D700 higher ISO images look better then the 5D MKII is cause of the megapixel difference. That's why I mentioned I would be interested to see a 10megapixel high ISO comparison between the D700 and 5D. I do prefer Nikon high-end side strategy though.

I wish the future 5D will have faster fps, more AF points, and more accurate AF. So far I'm using a 1000D AF and it kept focusing the wrong point, I need to focus directly on the subject and then move away from it while holding the shutter to get what I want.

jacobsen1

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Mt View, RI
OK, I'll add my $.02 to this thread as a 5Dii owner, and critic. I love the camera, but it's not w/o it's faults, but this thread is FILLED with misinformation. Some from obvious Nikon fans, some just because canon didn't explain the differences very well (the canon boards are also filled with misinformation on this)... Anyway:

The autofocus is the same, which was rather slow, the shooting speed is the same, the ISO range is the same, and other than that the only thing they changed for the IQ was adding the Digic 4.

When it first came out I thought, "Where's the new camera?"

the AF IS NOT the same. It has the same sensor layout and same sensors, but the logic/processors driving it is much faster. I've owned 2 1 series bodies (1D, 1Dii) and a 40D and 5D. The AF in the 5Dii is much improved over the 5D at all points. The outer points ARE NOT CROSS TYPE which is a disappointment, but they do work now where the original 5D didn't. I shoot inside @ 3200 routinely and can use cross type points now. The center point is faster as well. With the old 5D I NEVER used the outer points inside because they were terrible. The 40D has cross types, and they are better than a 5D, but they still were not fast enough for shooting my son. The 5Dii's outer points are faster when the contrast is "right" for them, but still don't always work.

The key thing to note here, and I'm not alone on this, is the 5D and 5Dii are considered by a lot of canon shooters to have the most accurate AF on the center point. Yes the 1 series has 45 points and they work in less light, but with a 5D's center point your accuracy (and keeper rate) go up.

The shooting speed has gone up to 3.9 from 3. Not fast, but certainly fast enough for most things provided you don't spray and pray. Timing is everything and that's where the valid speed complaints lie with they 5Dii... It's got a slightly longer shutter delay and a longer viewfinder blackout. You adjust to it easily, but if you shoot 2 canon bodies it can be weird switching back and forth in quick succession.

This was already covered, but the ISOs have changed. The old 5D had 1600 native and pushed to 3200. The 5Dii has 6400 native and 12800 &25600 pushed. I tend to stick to the native ISOs and 3200 is VERY CLEAN and 6400 is very usable. Beyond that you get banding. This is at FULL RESOLUTION, when back off to "only" 10mp sRAW1 it's cleaner.

As for IQ, the 5D was a bit of a legendary camera and tons of canon people said it was "magical" even... My feeling on this is that the 5D has a very good AA filter, and most digital shooters weren't used to the DOF with FF. So less DOF with the sharper parts being sharper really gave it's images that "pop". The 5Dii also seems to have this and it's AA filter is strong enough I've seen moire in some images which IMHO is a great thing. I'd rather have too sharp and deal with moire than have images like my 40D produces (overly softened by it's AA filter).

Also, as a former 5D shooter, I loved that body so much, it was hard to upgrade. But the 5Dii is really a sum of it's parts. New menus, new screen, new AF processing, a self cleaning sensor (VERY IMPORTANT on a FF DSLR, I had to clean my 5D once every other month), liveview, 6400 native, 21mp.... the list goes on and on. And all that and they lowered it's starting MSRP? It's a hell of a camera for the money, and the sum of it's parts really makes it a great tool.

focusing is updated. See above, and for god sakes USE ONE... It's not perfect, it could really use all cross types, but it's better than most people give it credit for.

That, and it's going to be slow as a dog at 4 fps. Also, with a price tag of $8000 I think it's better to keep it indoors or at parties and weddings. Sports photogs and journalist usually work the hell out of their gear, and damaging an $8000 body would ruin anyone's day.

the 1Ds mark III is 21mp and 5fps.
The 1D mark III is 10mp and 10fps.
the 1Ds mark II is 16mp and 4fps.

all 1 series canons are built like tanks and can take major abuse. The 1 series you see on NFL sidelines are the same build at the 1Ds line. The 1Ds mark III is now $6500 (still crazy money). The only real difference is the FPS and MP, both have incredible AF. The choice between a 1Ds and a 1D all comes down to where your images are going. PJs don't need more than 10mp and lots shoot at smaller res and or kept their 1Diis, but some sports shooters do print big and will shoot with a 1Ds.

As for the D700? it's a WONDERFUL camera. If canon made it it might be the camera for me, and it would certainly be my backup body with a 5Dii as my primary. But for me the wide fast primes (specifically the 24mm 1.4 for me) isn't available for the nikon, so I CAN'T go that route. I also use f4 zooms when traveling and nikon's missing those as well. So lens choice alone means I'm stuck with canon. In terms of ISOs, who cares which is better really. Both are SO GOOD, and both have usable 6400 it's splitting hairs to worry about that. Basically you pick the system first, then you pick the body. If Nikons work for you, then the D700 is a hell of a camera. One thing that's funny to me is people keep touting it's AF as vastly superior to the 5Diis... While it does have 51 points, the cluster is very similar in spread, and while it does have more cross types, they're ALSO clustered in the center. Yes it's better, but it's still not what the 1 series offers (not sure if the D3 is better?).

these discussions always come down to flame wars though. I'm a canon user, but I am NOT a fan boi. The 5Dii has it's own issues, I'm just trying to set the record straight on a few of the misunderstandings that have been blowing up online since it's announcement. For me it's the best tool for the job, but it's certainly NOT perfect. My ideal camera would have been a 1Ds mark II in a 5D body with.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
1dIII is not FF..and ...has well known focusing issues. Despite this, it can make great images, but a lot of pro sports shooters are dumping them and for good reason. Resell value will be low as the cam now has a bad rep.

Not too wade too far into the pissing contest this thread has become, but the initial focusing issues the 1DIII had have been resolved. All new "blue dot" 1DIIIs that Canon sells have fantastic AF, and the older ones can be fixed with either a firmware update or a mirror replacement, both of which are gratis from Canon.

Pro sports shooters are not dumping them; the 1DIII is the current standard sports camera, and at this year's Super Bowl, for instance, you will see more 1DIIIs than any other camera, by far.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Thanks Jacobsen - Much appreciated Fact over Rumor and mis-interpretation.

On the ISO note, I believe the D700 has a better looking noise than the 5D. They're both noisy, but the link a few posts above has great comp shots. But honestly, how often are we gonna dive into those areas for actual work? Rarely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.