Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
okay... but you're forgetting what you get for the price. here's a veeery broad overview

Canon G10-
14mp (i know it doesn't necessarily matter, but pointing out some facts)
28-140 eq lens
f2.8-4.5
built in image stability
macro mode (one of his desires in a camera)
3" screen
ability to take movies (another desire in a camera)
much more compact/easier to carry size

Nikon D40-
6.1MP
18-55 f3.5-5.6 lens
2.5" screen
small camera for what it is, but larger to carry around

since the D40's a DSLR the larger sensor will potentially produce less noise at higher ISO not to mention the ability to change lenses in the future. but not at that price. doesn't the D40 also have some autofocus limitations? in order to get a similar focal range compared to the G10 you'd be looking at around $500+ for a lens and would have to spend much more to have an f-stop of 4.5 or better at the long end. you'd also be looking at another $400+ for a macro lens.

so based on what he's looking for, he would easily be spending 3x the money at the bare minimum to get something remotely close in a DSLR package. just stating the facts. oh, and both cameras cost the exact same ($409) on Amazon.

Hmmmm,

The price of a G10 is $499 and the Nikon D40 is $449(from Best Buy).

Maybe the OP would've been happier with a dSLR for less money?

Just pointing out a basic fact...

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The equipment you have is fine. I'd love one. There's no reason why the G10 couldn't take the world's best photograph. It's a good camera.

I would also learn about depth of field and the effect aperture has on it. Even a small table-top tripod and self timer might help your shots be sharper more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.