Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
D700!

You've pretty obviously missed the whole point of this discussion. You might find it worthwhile to go do some reading on diffraction and how it applies to sensor/photosite size.

Interested to hear about your time with the D700. Seems to be a real winner from Nikon.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
G11, 20 megapixel!!!!

Haha, last time when I don't care about photography much, I thought that more megapixel is better but now I realize that megapixel is not that much of a deal because a D40 will blow away an image taken by a Oly FE-320.
D40 - 5 megapixel (I used my fren DSLR)
FE-320 - 8 megapixel

Somehow I regret playing with DSLR because its soo much fun compared to PnS. :eek:

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
And why would the new Canon G10 be a waste of money and "ludicrous"?? Why, because you do not understand how people would ......................<Snip>.............The larger MP cameras and backs are not for bragging rights, but for having the best possible file to work with when retouching, printing, and delivering to big clients knowing they get the biggest bang for their buck.
Swallowed the marketing BS hook , line and sinker, it would seem. Having the best possible file means using a camera with a bigger sensor, not cramming even more pixels onto a stupidly small sensor.
I have a compact which is double the MP of a previous compact and yet the picture quality is no better and is also pretty useless above 100 ISO, despite going to 1600 ISO.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The larger MP cameras and backs are not for bragging rights, but for having the best possible file to work with when retouching, printing, and delivering to big clients knowing they get the biggest bang for their buck.

Yeah, as others have said, you're missing the point about sensor size and MP. Cramming that many MP on a tiny sensor increases noise greatly. It will NOT produce "the best file possible", quite the opposite. For your reference:

(Click to enlarge)

DSLRsensors.png

The tiny boxes at the bottom are Point-and-Shoot sensors.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, that's interesting, PnS sensor is soo puny, that explains why the photo I took with my PnS today even with 5 megapixel looks very bad when zoomed in.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Get Richard Franiec's custom grip for the G9:

http://kleptography.com/rf/

http://www.kleptography.com/dl/g9/grip-angle.jpg

It's inexpensive and literally makes your camera feel like it should have from day one.

Thanks, I will order that and maybe an extra lens.

Also for others, the only reason I have ordered a G9. Is at concerts/shows that don't allow DSLR's and lenses. But they allow P&S, I could easily get this prograde P&S through security. They are really great at events like this and from day to day use.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I have a compact which is double the MP of a previous compact and yet the picture quality is no better and is also pretty useless above 100 ISO, despite going to 1600 ISO.
Yeah I realize that, a PnS using higher ISO then 100 will get super grainy pictures.

Beside correct me if im wrong but in beginners DSLR, I see that most DSLRs produce average photo quality at ISO 1600 and considerable poor quality at ISO 3200, some entry level DSLRs max its ISO at 1600 (XSi if Im not mistaken and some others), so I guess for beginner a ISO 3200 is not a must have ISO considering the poor quality it produces?

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I was able to get a Canon G9 a couple months ago through the Canon Loyalty program for $250 and I am very happy with it. I exchanged my old broken SD550 for it. The pictures are very good but nowhere near my DSLRs.

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
Another issue that no-one has really brought up here is storing these larger images. With no real discernible advantage in image quality storing images is eating up hard-drive space that much faster. Yes you can get external drives for fairly cheap, but losing space faster for no benefit is certainly another downside.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Another issue that no-one has really brought up here is storing these larger images. With no real discernible advantage in image quality storing images is eating up hard-drive space that much faster. Yes you can get external drives for fairly cheap, but losing space faster for no benefit is certainly another downside.

My Pentax K10D offers 10 MP, I only shoot at 6 MP, I don't notice the difference.

I only wish selecting 6 MP would magically decrease my pixel density.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yup, that's why I use external hard drives because MP3s, pictures and videos is eating my my hard disk!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.