Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
well , yeah its the main dilemma now , i don't have any experience more than some normal digit cams @ home and so .. but i would like to go more with portrait and LANDSCAPE .. i know that the G9 its not a DSLR after all but i heared that it produce superb pictures and the advantage of the less weight u know to carry around whenever i want .. in the other hand the XTI (400D) got the whole package means that i wont need anything more in the near future as an upgrade , but i'm afraid it wont leave the house !! yeah its better but heavier and almost 500$ more than the G9 .. so anyone could help me with this please .. i'm 27 y/o and i want it juz as a hobby now im not sure if i will go further i just need a portable gear for LANDSCAPE shots with Good Lens .

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Depends what you need. If you want super portability go for the G9. You want image quality, the 400D should come out on top every time. I would get the 400D but if you don't need it (which is something only you can tell yourself) then go for the G9.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You're 27 and you type like that? I am only making a comment because we're essentially the same age.

Anyway, my friend has a G9 and wishes he had my Nikon D300. Ok, that's totally understandable, but him and his wife both want a small camera, and to them, DSLRs are always too big, even the smaller models. With a lens on, you

Secondly, this XTi won't mean you don't need to upgrade because you'll find that the image quality and photos you get out of your new XTi won't be much better than the photos you're taking now. You're probably expecting a better camera to make your photos look more pro, but that's not how photography works, unfortunately. You'll still need decent lenses, and skill. If you don't have skill, then your photos will look comparable whether you bought a G9, XTi, or any of the most expensive cameras.

Thirdly, if I were you, I'd either get the Canon G9, or the Olympus E420. Forget the XTi. You're smart enough to worry about whether or not you'd take your new XTi with you, so don't buy it just because it would be cool to have. The E420 is the smallest DSLR around, and while still bigger than a G9, an E420 with the new 25 mm pancake lens is probably half the size and weight of my D300 + Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 (my smallest lens). It'll be smaller than the XTi and pretty much any lens you're going to find. You may be able to fit an E420 + pancake lens into a jacket pocket (sorry, no pant pocket), and definitely into any sized man-bag with no worries. It would even fit into my smallest bag, which is normally fits my sunglass case, small digital camera, sunscreen, and maybe my keys.

On second thought, get a G9 and don't bother with the DSLR. ;)

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
"You're 27 and you type like that? I am only making a comment because we're essentially the same age."

well i'm sorry but Arabic is my Native Lang so maybe that's will justify my typing skills and i wish if you can write a couple of lines in Arabic :) {just kidding} .. anyway thanks for your reply and yes i considered the Olympus E-420 for the same reasons you mentioned above but i don't have much of an options around my area but i'm more now into the XTI :)

thanks for the reply's Guys .

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... as a hobby now im not sure if i will go further i just need a portable gear for LANDSCAPE shots with Good Lens .

Landscape photographers are always best off using the largest camera they can carry and afford. Today, technically you would be better off using film than digital for landscapes. You can get wider shots, better image quality and the film based camera is much, much less expensive. But I won't argue for that as everyone wants to see their pictures right away.

In general when someone has very specialized needs like "I want to shoot landscapes" it is much easier to recommend equipment. So you've made it easy on us. The SLR is better suited to landscapes. First off it shoots in 3:2 format while the P&S camera do 4:3 which is more square. The SLRs all have much larger sensors and you will get better color and then the biggest difference is the quality of the lens. With the SLR you get to select the lens so you get as much optical quality as you are willing to pay for.

The other thing landscape photographers needs is a good tripod. Once you get one of these the size diference between a P&S and a SLR goes away

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I would go with the G9. It is a fantastic camera. The rebel's only real benefit is that you can swap lenses which I don't believe will be an issue for you because you are concerned about weight and bulk. In fact, if you were only to use the rebel with the kit lens, my opinion would be that the g9 is far superior.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
You're 27 and you type like that? I am only making a comment because we're essentially the same age.

Anyway, my friend has a G9 and wishes he had my Nikon D300. Ok, that's totally understandable, but him and his wife both want a small camera, and to them...

You're 27 and your grammar is that poor? I am only making a comment because we're essentially the same age.

Try breaking it into 2 sentences. The way you wrote it:
Ok, that's totally understandable, but him wants a small camera...
Ok, that's totally understandable, but his wife wants a small camera...

See the problem?

"Ok, that's totally understandable, but he and his wife both want a small camera..."

How does that saying about glass houses go?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
You're 27 and your grammar is that poor? I am only making a comment because we're essentially the same age.

Try breaking it into 2 sentences. The way you wrote it:
Ok, that's totally understandable, but him wants a small camera...
Ok, that's totally understandable, but his wife wants a small camera...

See the problem?

"Ok, that's totally understandable, but he and his wife both want a small camera..."

How does that saying about glass houses go?

Glass houses my ass. I understand that my post isn't grammatically correct. I'm not asking for perfection, but the use of a capital letter at the beginning of sentences, and the use of punctuation (without spaces before and after it) is always a nice touch . Anyway, that was before I realized it was written by someone who doesn't speak English as his/her first language. Normally, I'd never pick on someone who's first language isn't English, but it's usually easier to tell. In fact, in 6 years of posting, I have commented on grammar and spelling a handful of times. I don't think it makes a post unreadable. A lack of punctuation and capital letters seems to have a greater impact on readability. In this case, the OP looks like it was written by a native English speaker (which is a compliment), but one who is 9 years old. I'm sure he can do better, but sometimes, a lack of punctuation is worse than an entire post written with the Caps Lock button on.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
LOL , i really like the way this thread goes on now :) but can we concern more about the G9 & XTI now :D ..thank you all Guys about your reply's .. really helpful just keep it up .

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Ok, well if you can't get the Olympus E420 with a 25 mm pancake lens, then I think you should go for the Canon G9. It would give you a nice zoom range, and it's a small camera. If you buy a G9, you know you'll use the camera, which is the most important part of photography. ;)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
\well i'm sorry but Arabic is my Native Lang so maybe that's will justify my typing skills and i wish if you can write a couple of lines in Arabic :) {just kidding} .. anyway thanks for your reply and yes i considered the Olympus E-420 for the same reasons you mentioned above but i don't have much of an options around my area but i'm more now into the XTI :)

Since this tends to be a smaller photo forum (which I find I prefer, especially after reading all the crap that ends up on dpreview.com), I think we're less used to non-native English speakers.

The British forum members probably refer to all of us Americans and the Australians as non-native English speakers though. :D

But back to the topic: given the reservations you expressed, I would suggest the G9 is probably the way to go (echoing Abstract's comments). I usually hate Ken Rockwell, but he's right about one thing - the best camera to capture a photo is the one you've actually got with you.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
Most folks seem to be leaning towards the G9, but I have a bit of a different perspective. I about a year ago moved from a pretty nice (for the time) P&S to the XTi.

It made an amazing difference in the number of keepers. I think the biggest thing was the ability to shoot RAW quickly, and much better ISO performance.

My previous P&S supported RAW as does the G9, but it was so slow that using it with burst mode was impossible. According to dpreview, shot to shot in RAW for the G9 is about 1.1 - 3 seconds. If you're doing any action (or kids), you've lost it. RAW just simply lets me rescue more shots. I have much fewer blown out skies or muddy underexposed images.

Additionally for me, a lot of my stuff is shot at ISO 1600 indoors (daughter's dance recitals, son's karate, etc.) and I get shots that would be pure noise from a P&S.

Actually knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over, I'd probably have gotten the 40d for even better ISO and a bigger RAW buffer.

On the other hand moving to a DSLR is an expensive slippery slope. You'll try a faster lens, and then need it, next you'll try your first L lens, then IS, then something with more reach, and then wider, next a better flash and tripod, more books on techniques, it never ends. I'm a lot poorer than I used to be. I changed my mind, get the G9. ;) Good luck.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Well Guys here is another POLL , Money talk . What do u Guys think deserve Better/Value for money :

Canon Rebel XTI {400D} = 1250 $

Canon PS G9 = 750 $

Ps : i know it seems expensive but this is the prices here no Ebay :(

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wouldn't like the G9 for landscape because it goes down only to 35mm.

I would look at the Ricoh GX100.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
i want it juz as a hobby now im not sure if i will go further

That makes the decision easy--get the G9. If you had wanted a good camera to learn photography, then I would have suggested the Rebel. The G9 is easier to use, while the Rebel will give you more control, something interested in only if you're serious about photography. For landscape, most of the time, you'd want everything in focus. The P&S have the advantage their. For portraits, usually you'd want shallow depth of field to isolate your subject. DSLR have the advantage there.

For now, I'd get the G9. Later on, if the shutterbug bites, entry level DSLR should be dirt cheap.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
If your main points of interest are portrait and landscape photography, I would suggest the Rebel for lens choice– if I remember correctly, the G9 does not get down into a real wide angle, the first choice of lens for landscape photography; but the Rebel can switch between that wide angle and a nice prime 90mm for good portraiture. BUUUUT... if you think you'd never get the Rebel out of the house, well, the first rule to taking good pictures is having your camera around.

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Ever so slightly off topic, but i have just bought my first camera and it was a Nikon D40. I love it, have you seen it?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
if you think you'd never get the Rebel out of the house, well, the first rule to taking good pictures is having your camera around.

That is the big question to ask yourself. What are you a photographer or a vacation snap shooter? Nothing wrong with being either of these. The difference is that a "photographer" goes some place for the express purpose of taking pictures while the snap shooter is some one who brings a camera along with them while they do some other activity. Another test, or difference is that the "photographer" sees and image in his head then works to capture it some how, possably moving his location r waiting until the time is right. the snap shooter reacts to what he sees rather then plans ahead.

If you are or want to be a photographer then you want the SLR. That said you can be both or you can switch modes. Many times I'll do that. I'll take a snapshot and then see some potential in the image and then work and thing about how to clean up the compostion, move to get a better background and think about a few better ways to show off the subject.

The option most people end up with is "all of the above. Buy the SLR and also own a small pocket camera. There are many good P&S camera under $200. get both.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I have to say, I was in a similar situation to you, trying to decide how much I liked photography vs how willing I was to have a big clunky camera.
I was weighing up the G9 and the S3 IS or something similar. At that point I was into taking lots of pictures on holiday, and starting to explore different settings in the menu, but nothing more than that.

I ended up getting the mighty Nikon D40 even though I wasn't sure if I really wanted an SLR and I am so glad I did. Plus point of an SLR:

- exceptional picture quality (having a better camera won't make you a better photographer, but you will see your images improve)
- zero shutter lag - a big plus point for me
- that proper camera noise when you press the shutter
- the ability to change all the settings

I have to say that if you are thinking about getting an SLR, then you probably should get one, and you are unlikely to regret it - don't worry about the bulk, they aren't really that big especially the XTI or the D40.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
"Ever so slightly off topic, but i have just bought my first camera and it was a Nikon D40. I love it, have you seen it?"

yes i did but as i said be4 i don't really have much of a choice in here :eek: & btw Congrats in ur new D40 :) .

"That is the big question to ask yourself. What are you a photographer or a vacation snap shooter?"

Well yes i'm more into snap shooter , i'm always like in work , car , by a window of a building just grap my mobile and catch one or my w500 @ home , its like no time for it i just do it but i would love better quality of the picture of course Beside im really interested in some portrait and Landscape in vacations .

The thing is i really prefer the DSLR for the performance and much options wont be a problem but i just need a portable thing its like i don't wanna make a plan for it or a "scene" of it (if u know what i mean) i like it more handy with a gr8 pictures .. Anyway thank you Guys really i do & after all i guess i will go with the G9 and i know that i wont regret it and if i wanted a better one that would be a plus :) .. or maybe if i can get the Olympus E-420 or Even the D40 for a nice price too ;)

Thank you all .

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
'Performance' in photography is a vague term.

If I were you, I'd wait until Photokina in September. Canon are rumoured to be releasing a successor to the G9, hopefully with a wider lens, possibly a larger sensor to reduce noise at high ISO.

Normally in photography, waiting for the next best model isn't a recommended way to go about things. However, we are only 2 months from PK, and the G9 has serious promise if it were upgraded.

If you want the potential of a DSLR and the portability of a P&S, go with the G9 or G10. It has amazing ability, and the conversion kits should help your entry in to a DSLR later on.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Well yes i'm more into snap shooter , i'm always like in work , car , by a window of a building just grap my mobile and catch one or my w500 @ home , its like no time for it i just do it but i would love better quality of the picture of course Beside im really interested in some portrait and Landscape in vacations

Everything you said above indicates that you should get a G9.

The thing is i really prefer the DSLR for the performance and much options wont be a problem but i just need a portable thing its like i don't wanna make a plan for it or a "scene" of it (if u know what i mean) i like it more handy with a gr8 pictures .. A

Everything you said above indicates that you should get a G9.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Most folks seem to be leaning towards the G9, but I have a bit of a different perspective. I about a year ago moved from a pretty nice (for the time) P&S to the XTi.

It made an amazing difference in the number of keepers. I think the biggest thing was the ability to shoot RAW quickly, and much better ISO performance.

My previous P&S supported RAW as does the G9, but it was so slow that using it with burst mode was impossible. According to dpreview, shot to shot in RAW for the G9 is about 1.1 - 3 seconds. If you're doing any action (or kids), you've lost it. RAW just simply lets me rescue more shots. I have much fewer blown out skies or muddy underexposed images.

Additionally for me, a lot of my stuff is shot at ISO 1600 indoors (daughter's dance recitals, son's karate, etc.) and I get shots that would be pure noise from a P&S.

Actually knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over, I'd probably have gotten the 40d for even better ISO and a bigger RAW buffer.

On the other hand moving to a DSLR is an expensive slippery slope. You'll try a faster lens, and then need it, next you'll try your first L lens, then IS, then something with more reach, and then wider, next a better flash and tripod, more books on techniques, it never ends. I'm a lot poorer than I used to be. I changed my mind, get the G9. ;) Good luck.

Thank you man :)

Thank you all guys ..

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Just buy the XTi and be done with it. It's a small camera, and lightweight when compared to a Canon 40D, for example. In fact an XTi, and a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens should make a very nice landscape, cityscape, and architecture package. If you are willing to wait until September, buy a brand new XS for around $600.00. Most people buy the lesser of the two cameras, and end-up regretting it in a short order. This happens to quite a lot of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.