Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have to say, I was in a similar situation to you, trying to decide how much I liked photography vs how willing I was to have a big clunky camera.
I was weighing up the G9 and the S3 IS or something similar. At that point I was into taking lots of pictures on holiday, and starting to explore different settings in the menu, but nothing more than that.

I ended up getting the mighty Nikon D40 even though I wasn't sure if I really wanted an SLR and I am so glad I did. Plus point of an SLR:

- exceptional picture quality (having a better camera won't make you a better photographer, but you will see your images improve)
- zero shutter lag - a big plus point for me
- that proper camera noise when you press the shutter
- the ability to change all the settings

I have to say that if you are thinking about getting an SLR, then you probably should get one, and you are unlikely to regret it - don't worry about the bulk, they aren't really that big especially the XTI or the D40.

That's exactly what you get from an entry level camera such as any of the XT series, except that the XTi includes Live View (?).

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
That's exactly what you get from an entry level camera such as any of the XT series, except that the XTi includes Live View (?).

Pretty sure XTI doesn't have live view... XSI does. Live view for me is certainly not the be all and end all, I actually prefer using the view finder and now I keep finding myself putting friends P&S cameras LCD screens right up to my face by accident!

MoeOz I think if you bought an XTI then you would be able to make time for photography, i really didn't think I wanted such a big camera but now I don't know what I was worrying about. Go for it!

newb16

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
well i'm sorry but Arabic is my Native Lang so maybe that's will justify my typing skills and i wish if you can write a couple of lines in Arabic :) {just kidding}
It's the lamest excuse/justification for using 1337ish spelling like 'u' and 'ur' instead of regular 3- and 4-letter combinations.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
If you are just starting, you better use a G9. The live display is like gold to learn the effects of aperture and shutter speed. Also, something that not enough people talk about: the G9 makes ridiculously nice videos!

I am a very advance user with a Canon 5D and all the big lenses, yet I love the simplicity of the G9. You can have it with you all the time, it has IS, RAW and a very good optic. What else do you need when you are a beginner? And when (if) you move to a DSLR, you will keep the G9 as a live light meeter or video recorder so no money lost.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
It's the lamest excuse/justification for using 1337ish spelling like 'u' and 'ur' instead of regular 3- and 4-letter combinations.

Well this is not an english lesson , as long as ppl got it im done .

I might get the Olympus E-420 after all i just found it in a store close to my area .

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I might get the Olympus E-420 after all i just found it in a store close to my area .

This may be obvious - and I'm also somewhat restating something I've already said :D - but...

Just be sure you're going to be satisfied with another, smaller, dSLR before buying it. You mentioned weight and size as your concerns, but there's a lot of wiggle room there. If you just want something smaller around your neck, then sure - a smaller dSLR is a good choice. But if you really meant "I've found I won't carry a camera that doesn't fit in my pocket", then with a dSLR you're just spending more money on something you'll be dissatisfied with.

I'm really not trying to dissuade you from buying another dSLR - I carry mine around, for sure. But I just want to be sure we (as a group) are not swaying you towards our preferences rather than helping you determine your preferences.

Ger

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Ireland
I bought a Canon G9 recently and am very happy with it. My brother has a Nikon D40, which I borrowed for a week, and although it's a great camera (too much capability to get to grips with in a week) it's size meant that I only took it out of the house once. The G9 can take great pictures and has plenty of manual controls to learn (I am new to all of this) and is small enough that you won't mind taking it wherever you go and I think the portability will help you take great pictures.

I think you should get the G9!

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Well .. Guys Thanks you all , i've just got the Olympus E-420 :D

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Im luvin it guys :) [Olympus-E420] ...but there is many blurry pic's thu , maybe its the lack of the Image Stabilizer ??:confused:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Im luvin it guys :) [Olympus-E420] ...but there is many blurry pic's thu , maybe its the lack of the Image Stabilizer ??:confused:

Are they blurry, or out of focus?

If the former, it probably has more to do with your technique. For one reason or another, you're probably moving the camera when the shutter is going off. It might even be that you're moving the camera when you press down on the shutter.

If the latter, it's possible that the autofocus isn't working well, or you're not giving the camera time to finish focussing. I don't know how Olympus cameras work though - with a Nikon, you can't actually take the picture until the camera has locked focus (in most modes anyway).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Hey, just thought of this - make sure you're using the viewfinder to compose your shots rather than its "live view" display. Having your camera away from your body is a recipe for poor quality photos.

Live View is a really bad idea for handheld shots.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Actually the AF is Excellent , i just found most of the blurry shots were always effected by my hands movements and locations :eek: i guess im just have to be more firm on holding it till its done beside i found it very portable not much of a weight from my old P&S one :) .. i really like the idea of LiveView thu its very nice with many options too like you can check on the pic before you go for it :D with many customizations .. ohh thank you westside guy again and all .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.