Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Ok so I'm looking for DSLR now I want to know how good the Rebel XT is am I better of going for XTI or is Nikon D40 a good choice. I'm going to be printing out 8 1/2 x 11" Photos with it if if makes a difference.

Opinions, Ideas Would be of great help Thanks

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
XT will make full-frame 13x19" prints. I've done many with mine.

Is is a good beginner DSLR or are there better choices and what do you use to edit the photos I'd like to use Aperture is it compatible with that camera because I understand that not all RAW formats are the same.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Is is a good beginner DSLR or are there better choices and what do you use to edit the photos I'd like to use Aperture is it compatible with that camera because I understand that not all RAW formats are the same.

Lets call it a solid entry level dSLR which is also fairly cheap to pick up. There are always better cameras, but it depends on how much $$$ you are willing to pay.

If you aren't going to use it much then a cheaper camera is probably better, if you are going to use it alot then the more expensive cameras are a better option long term. It also depends on what you are doing with the 8.5x11's. If you are sleeing them then moving up to the XTi might be a better option.

With the XSi out now the XT & XTi are dropping price so it is a good time to buy either or.

Just some general info about them. The XT has a very different back panel to the XTi, the XTi is comparable to the 30D, the XSi is like the 40D. The XT, XTi, 30D & 40D all use CF, the XSi is SD cards.

As is said on here almost every purchase thread, the money you save on the body can be used to buy better lenses which helps make petter pictures. Generally the kit lenses are not anything fancy, so maybe also consider buying a body only and then getting some decent lenses for whatever you use the camera for.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I had an XTi for about 2 weeks and loved it. I returned it on Friday and pre-ordered an XSi. My local shop should have them in late March or early April for $899. I paid $699 for my XTi, so I think the extra $200 is well worth it for LiveView, 3.5FPS, the larger view finder and the larger LCD. It's 12.2MP, but that isn't as much of a concern for me.

There are a lot of Nikon folks on this site and you will hear lots of good things about the Nikon D40.

If you decide to stick with the Canon, I found this site a good place to go to talk specifically about Canon's...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I want to get Canon because I already have a Canon Printer and I really like canon stuff and I think they will pair well together. Does anybody Prefer Lightroom to Aperture What advantages does the XTI have over the XT except more Megapixels.

I also Heard your better off just buying the body then buying lenses so how is the lens that comes with it 18-55mm is that good or am i better off buying one separate. Thanks

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Don't use the excuse that your Canon camera will match your Canon printer, that's just silly.

That being said, the XT is a nice entry level camera. It's pretty cheap now, so it's a good way to get into the world of the DSLR. It also means that if you get really into photography and want to pick up a prosumer body (40D, etc) then you don't lose as much money as if you went for a $1000 camera as your first purchase.

The XTi could be an option for you too, it has many advancements over the XT (but ignore 8 vs 10 MP) but also costs more. The XSi is ridiculous, and the new "features" aren't worth the higher price.

Take a look at Nikon too. While Nikon and Canon are comparable, generally speaking, the ergonomics and build quality of the entry level Nikon are arguably better. This difference disappears when you hit Nikon D80+ and Canon 40D+, but I believe it holds true for the XT/XTi/XSi and D40/x/60.

EDIT: I realised I didn't actually answer your questions.

People are divided on Lightroom vs. Aperture. Given the fact you have a MacBook, I'd say go with Lightroom. It runs a lot faster. I'm personally really bad at organising photos, and use files and folders to organise... which is bad.

As for XT vs. XTi.
8 MP vs 10MP
XTi has dust reduction
2.5" LCD on XTi, vs. 1.8" on XT
XTi has shooting info on the main LCD, rather than the XT's dedicated little LCD screen
$470 vs $600

As for lenses... I think you may as well go with the kit. It's not an awful lens, and the more you use it the more you'll realise exactly what more you'd want, whether that be telephoto, low light, wide angle, etc.

Some will say to look at Pentax/Olympus/Sony, etc. but I say don't bother. Stick with the "big two" for easy access to parts, accessories, repair etc.

Whatever you choose, research it, and have fun!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey Techguy172, maybe you can enlighten us all on what exactly you will use the camera for. Right now it is hard to give you a solid opinion as we aren't sure what the end use is.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
It will be used for Many things Family picture pictures from trips and Walks we take and just other uses Whatever comes up however it will mostly be used to take pictures of Scenic areas that's why I want quality.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
The D80 is nice but really expensive I think I'm better off with the XT,XTI or D60. How's the D60 is there really that much difference between it and D80.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
That's an interesting point of view from someone that went with a D40x over a D40...

Haha, touche.

Maybe I should clarify my position. I got my D40x as a grad present from my parents, and I wanted the best camera they were willing to buy, which was the D40x. Ideally I would have liked the D80, but my father balked over the price so I think I was lucky to get what I did. Not to sound spoiled, but if it was my money I would have bought the D40, or saved up longer for the D80.

So, seeing as the OP is using his own money, price is a factor. He's asking about the XT. Now, paying slightly more for the XTi is not an unrealistic piece of advice, but paying even more again for the XSi is silly I think when he started looking at the XT.

I'd say the same thing with the D60. If the OP was looking for a D40 I'd strongly advise against the D60 as the "extra" features aren't worth the extra cash, IMHO.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It will be used for Many things Family picture pictures from trips and Walks we take and just other uses Whatever comes up however it will mostly be used to take pictures of Scenic areas that's why I want quality.

Which lenses you buy and how well you can learn to use fill flash will make more of a difference than which body you purchase. Get the cheapest body you can that will fit your requirements (in this case, any of the choices work, so go with the XT.) Pick the best zoom lens for the fields of view you need that you can afford, pick up one of the fast 50mm lenses and shoot for a few months- by then you'll either be happy, know you can't get good shots no matter what, or know what you want next to evolve. Evaluate your shots based on prints though, you'll do better for it.

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
Techguy172, I am in a similar situation. I want to get a Canon DSLR this summer (already have access to Canon lenses) and I was looking strongly at the new XSi but realized that the XTi is essentially just as good and with the money saved I will put toward a high quality lens which as several people have mentioned makes more of a difference then the XT vs. XTi vs. XSi.

Plus, the XTi is very affordable now that the XSi is being added to the Rebel line. I would also try out each one if possible to see how each one feels in your hand. Some have said the XTi is too small and light (although adding the battery grip would help that) and the XSi is supposed to be slightly more comfortable. Good luck with your purchase.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Does Dust Reduction make a difference or does it matter that much I understand that if the sensor gets dirty it produces bad pictures so do i need dust reduction.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Does Dust Reduction make a difference or does it matter that much I understand that if the sensor gets dirty it produces bad pictures so do i need dust reduction.

Yeah, that feature is nice, but shouldn't be the deal maker. Best way to avoid such problems is to avoid changing lenses in windy, dusty, etc. conditions. Also I find its better to change lenses with the camera pointed downward. :)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Yeah, that feature is nice, but shouldn't be the deal maker. Best way to avoid such problems is to avoid changing lenses in windy, dusty, etc. conditions. Also I find its better to change lenses with the camera pointed downward. :)

Ok That helped me towards my decision it's now between the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D40 The Nikon is cheaper by a little bit, So keep that in mind.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Ok That helped me towards my decision it's now between the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D40 The Nikon is cheaper by a little bit, So keep that in mind.

The D40 has "newer" technology than the XT, which generally speaking will lead to less noise, better overall image quality, etc. It also has a brighter viewfinder, which considering you have to look through it to take all your photos does make a difference.

That being said, I'm a Nikon guy, but the XT is a great camera. Do you have any friends or family members who use one brand over the other? If so you can share lenses and accessories if you buy the same brand.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
The D40 has "newer" technology than the XT, which generally speaking will lead to less noise, better overall image quality, etc. It also has a brighter viewfinder, which considering you have to look through it to take all your photos does make a difference.

That being said, I'm a Nikon guy, but the XT is a great camera. Do you have any friends or family members who use one brand over the other? If so you can share lenses and accessories if you buy the same brand.

Someone in my family used to have Nikon but had a hard time using it so got a point and shoot instead. My family is not really technologically adept. so yeah....

Are they any other Opinions on the matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.