Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I went through the same things you're going through. I started out with the intention of buying the Nikon D40. I was considering the XT and XTi as well, but the D40 was the best value.

So we go to Best Buy to test them out. Lo and behold, the XT/XTi feel better in our hands. So now we have a dilemma. Value or ergonomics.

Ultimately, we chose the XTi over the XT and D40 for the following reasons.

1. The D40 doesn't have an option for a fast, wide, prime with AutoFocus (unless you count the Sigma 30 f/1.4). I want a fast "normal" prime lens for indoor/low-light photos.

2. The XT has a smaller LCD than the XTi.

3. The XTi feels a little more ergonomic than the XT .. but not by much.

In the end, we went XTi (body only) and got the 18-55 IS lens. Body was $530 and the lens was $185. I suppose I could have gone with the kit 18-55 lens and saved a little over $100, but in the end, I went with the IS lens because it has better optics (at least that's what the reviews say) and the IS feature.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is is a good beginner DSLR or are there better choices and what do you use to edit the photos I'd like to use Aperture is it compatible with that camera because I understand that not all RAW formats are the same.

Aperture works with al the comon cameras now. For a while it did not support a couple of the higher- end Nikons. Also Aperture is not really an "editor" it is more of an organizer and for making small adjustments and crops.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ok so I'm looking for DSLR now I want to know how good the Rebel XT is am I better of going for XTI or is Nikon D40 a good choice. I'm going to be printing out 8 1/2 x 11" Photos with it if if makes a difference.

All of the cameras will have no problem with 11 inch prints. Don't worry about that.

You have listed D40, XTI and so on. These are just SLR bodies. what you need is an SLR system and a body is just one part of the system. In the end it is not even the most importent part of the system. Lenses are what matters. Think about which lenses you would like to own. Think about a flash and other parts of the system.

You job as a shopper is to pickthe system that you like best. Which company makes the parts you like? Then buy whatever SLR body that company makes that fits your budget.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Aperture works with al the comon cameras now. For a while it did not support a couple of the higher- end Nikons. Also Aperture is not really an "editor" it is more of an organizer and for making small adjustments and crops.

I know what Aperture Does I will use Photoshop and Aperture together.

All of the cameras will have no problem with 11 inch prints. Don't worry about that.

You have listed D40, XTI and so on. These are just SLR bodies. what you need is an SLR system and a body is just one part of the system. In the end it is not even the most importent part of the system. Lenses are what matters. Think about which lenses you would like to own. Think about a flash and other parts of the system.

You job as a shopper is to pickthe system that you like best. Which company makes the parts you like? Then buy whatever SLR body that company makes that fits your budget.

I don't what kind of lenses are needed so I'm probably just going to get the Standard lens that comes with it. Or is the 18-135mm I'm guessing that's a better choice.

kroginold

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Two Points to Ponder

1. If you decide to get the XT, I recommend that you look at the refurbished XT at Adorama.com. For 379$ I bought a silver XT with kit lens. This is less than you pay for the new body alone, and since it is a Canon factory refurb, it comes with everything in the new box, with a good warranty, and is indistinguishable from new. Then pick up the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens and either sell the kit lens or keep it as backup. You will still save a lot and have a very good entry-level camera. For online purchases Adorama, B&H, 47th Street Photo are the only New York stores I trust. Most of the New York/ Brooklyn/ New Jersey based online sites are scammers that seem to offer great prices, then try to bully you into buying 20$ batteries for 70$ and up, along with other cheaply made but extremely overpriced accessories.

2. If you don't have a particular reason to buy Canon or Nikon, I would look at the Sony alpha. Costs a bit more up front, but you can find great deals on lenses. The image stabilization is built into body, which makes lenses cheaper. (I know there are advantages and disadvantages to camera body based IS) Also, this camera will use all the Minolta AF lenses. Since Minolta
sold out to Sony, many local retailers have put Minolta lenses on their clearance shelves, and you can get some very good glass at bargain basement prices. I recently saw an 800$ Minolta lens new in box at local Wolf Camera for 65$. (I didn't go this route only because I already had an investment in Canon film camera equipment that is compatible with the XT)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.