Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Could you elaborate on this?

The IS limits camera shake in an image, but if your shutter speeds are dropping much below 1/30th, any subject movement will still be picked up. The IS helps, but most shots indoors at f5.6 without extra light will be marginal, even f4 will not produce great shots in most indoor situations (assuming you don't have a camera that can give you at least a few more clean stops on the ISO past 800 (mainly Nikons right now but a few Canons are respectable)).

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Could you elaborate on this?

IS works by compensating camera shake, one of the limits of shooting with a slow shutter. The general rule of thumb is that without a stabilized lens you shouldn't shoot any slower than the reciprocal of the focal length to the nearest 1/3 stop. Meaning if you have a 200mm lens, to avoid camera shake you shouldn't shoot any slower than 1/200th of a second. Current generation IS on that same lens would in theory allow you to get a sharp photo at 1/13th of a second. The problem when you get to a shutter speed that slow, is that camera shake is no longer the only factor in getting a sharp photo, now subjects can move significantly enough to make them blur in that amount of time.

On an even shorter lens where that becomes an even bigger issue because 4-stops down from 1/20th is 1.3 seconds. Think about how much someone moves while just standing still over that period of time.

In practice I've found that IS gives about a 1-2 stop advantage on the longer focal length lenses and becomes increasingly less useful the shorter the focal length is.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
IS works by compensating camera shake, one of the limits of shooting with a slow shutter. The general rule of thumb is that without a stabilized lens you shouldn't shoot any slower than the reciprocal of the focal length to the nearest 1/3 stop. Meaning if you have a 200mm lens, to avoid camera shake you shouldn't shoot any slower than 1/200th of a second. Current generation IS on that same lens would in theory allow you to get a sharp photo at 1/13th of a second. The problem when you get to a shutter speed that slow, is that camera shake is no longer the only factor in getting a sharp photo, now subjects can move significantly enough to make them blur in that amount of time.

To the OP: this is worth understanding, so if you don't get it please read it again as many times as it takes to fully grasp the concept.

Iow, you usually want the shutter speed as fast as it takes to stop motion of the subject, which means higher ISO or larger aperture. IS is only for reducing/eliminating camera shake. And if you have tripod or really steady hands, IS has zero effect.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
To the OP: this is worth understanding, so if you don't get it please read it again as many times as it takes to fully grasp the concept.

Iow, you usually want the shutter speed as fast as it takes to stop motion of the subject, which means higher ISO or larger aperture. IS is only for reducing/eliminating camera shake. And if you have tripod or really steady hands, IS has zero effect.

Yeah, I got it. I've been using IS enabled camera's (my Panasonic/Lumix) for several years.

To recap... IS offers more flexibility in terms of being able to hand-hold the camera vs. using a tripod... but of course, it doesn't affect the shutter speed which is required to properly capture action or subjects which are not perfectly still.

Where I see IS being an advantage, besides the obvious telephoto end of things, is in taking scenic shots in disappearing light or on a dark and dreary day where a longer shutter speed would be required but you don't have a tripod handy, AND indoors where you may be shooting in a museum or other venue where flash is not allowed and again, a tripod is not handy. Unless I'm wrong, this goes against FX120's assertion that IS is useless in low light and indoors. :confused:

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Yeah, I got it. I've been using IS enabled camera's (my Panasonic/Lumix) for several years.

To recap... IS offers more flexibility in terms of being able to hand-hold the camera vs. using a tripod... but of course, it doesn't affect the shutter speed which is required to properly capture action or subjects which are not perfectly still.

Where I see IS being an advantage, besides the obvious telephoto end of things, is in taking scenic shots in disappearing light or on a dark and dreary day where a longer shutter speed would be required but you don't have a tripod handy, AND indoors where you may be shooting in a museum or other venue where flash is not allowed and again, a tripod is not handy. Unless I'm wrong, this goes against FX120's assertion that IS is useless in low light and indoors. :confused:

IS is useless when the major source of blur is subject motion. If I'm photographing someone speaking at a podium, I know that I can get a reasonably sharp image at 1/50, and perhaps 1/30 if I'm lucky. So if I'm at 200mm effective, which would normally require 1/200, with IS I can move down to 1/50 (2 stops) and still get sharp images, because camera movement is still the limiting factor. Beyond 1/50 or so, subject motion becomes limiting and IS doesn't help.

So IS can help even with shots of moving objects, as long as the predominant cause of blur is still camera movement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.