Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
HI Folks...

I was in Iowa for several days and just returned, sorting through over 4000 images. This place rocks for eagles!

Here is one of my fav images from the trip.

4297216836_2f002209ca_b.jpg

I have posted over 20 images so far here! Please check back as I will be posting many more!

Also, I did a daily blog and just posted a really cool event, "caught on tape" so to speak. Thought you would enjoy as well. Click on my blog here!

Thanks for looking!

Mark

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Wow. That must've been fun. I'd love to take some photos like that if I get a chance to use some super telephotos.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
The work is fantastic, you need to seriously consider upgrading to the 1Ds mk III for the combination of better AF system and FF sensor :p

The pictures are amazingly sharp (especially those in the tiger gallery), however try to minimize the sharpening in the shots with solid backgrounds, it shows through the noise.

Great work!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Great photos. That is some awesome glass. About how far away were you? How did you focus? Autofocus or were you prepared for them to be at a certain distance?

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Great photos. That is some awesome glass. About how far away were you? How did you focus? Autofocus or were you prepared for them to be at a certain distance?

I am not great with distances, I would guess 50 yds or so..

On the 7D, I use autofocus of course. I do back button focusing when has increased my keepers.

Mark

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Wow, I am blown away. thanks for picking up my afternoon. That looks like it was a blast.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The work is fantastic, you need to seriously consider upgrading to the 1Ds mk III for the combination of better AF system and FF sensor :p

Yes, he needs to spend more money on a new camera so that he can correct the problem of taking superb pictures!! ;)

(Seriously, though, I'm going to guess the smiley you used indicates you're just kidding because the OP's pictures make it very clear that his current camera is serving him extremely well.)

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks again folks! I really appreciate your time and comments. I just added 9 more to the slide show.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
ahh right, yes i guess the L does help there alot, haha ;)
thankyou though.
what kind of PP do you use if you dont mind me asking? i'd love to produce shots so sharp :D

Sure... for the eagle pics I used Lightroom 2.6 as my RAW converter and the Nik software suite.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Only in the center of the frame. Wing tips are so soft you might almost think it was motion or DOF blur.
:D

The center AF point was placed on his head as I wanted the eyes sharp (as always). The light was poor thus shot at f4 or f4.5 I believe and ISO of 1000
so the blur may be DOF as the shutter speed was 1/1600.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Dude that shot is great but some of the tiger shots you have on that site there are like :eek: I didn't even believe one of them was real it just looked so PURRRFECT (sorry I couldn't resist)

http://galloimages.zenfolio.com/p268269416/h1cdef94f#h2e2457c4
That one Oh my LORD!

Thank you for your comments. I am very proud of the tiger cub gallery. I like that one as well! I spent 20-25 hrs with them over 4-5 weeks this past summer to capture these youth and growth. It was a great experience!

Mark

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm linking all my pals, hopefully one of them buy something. I think I might buy something in a week or so when I get some money in because these pictures are too cute man. I'm like awwing over like a little girl. Great stuff.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Thank you for your comments. I am very proud of the tiger cub gallery. I like that one as well! I spent 20-25 hrs with them over 4-5 weeks this past summer to capture these youth and growth. It was a great experience!

Mark

Man, I cannot believe the clarity with your photos.. Looks better than real life. Was there much post-picture editing done on the tiger shoot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.