Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Yes, I'm made sure the drive is ok, I have alot of projects there, that my work depends on.

Please make a backup of those important files. No file system is 100% reliable. You should have a local backup, a cloud backup (if the files are not sensitive), and an off-site backup (this means it is not at the location you usually work at, in the case of fire, flooding, theft, etc.).

qwezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Please make a backup of those important files. No file system is 100% reliable. You should have a local backup, a cloud backup (if the files are not sensitive), and an off-site backup (this means it is not at the location you usually work at, in the case of fire, flooding, theft, etc.).
i know. i have.

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
In my experience MacOS is really bad when it comes to handling drives. This is one area where windows is light years ahead of MacOS. Did your mac disconnect the drives while sleeping? Because that is a reported behaviour of Monterey (myself included).

Reactions: qwezxc and dwig

qwezxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
In my experience MacOS is really bad when it comes to handling drives. This is one area where windows is light years ahead of MacOS. Did your mac disconnect the drives while sleeping? Because that is a reported behaviour of Monterey (myself included).
I really do not know. I think I disconnected before that. The second time that happen I'm sure I did, the first one not so sure.

I work with both windows and more recently MacOS, and I agree with you when it comes to handling driver, and go further to say that there are alot of thing that windows is light years ahead, not just that.

Mary Mac Studio

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
I write this knowing the thread is over a year old, but I think I have the answer. Lots of Mac users reporting that Sonoma isn't mounting exFAT drives. My story: had an exFAT formatted Lacie external drive that stopped mounting on my Mac Studio. Drive name grayed out in Disk Utility. Had to use EaseUS software to get into that external drive -- I was then able to copy the files over to a new drive which I had formatted in APFS. I'm now making sure all my external drives are formatted in APFS, and that none are using exFAT.

I know exFAT is the way to share files between Mac and PC, and I'm not sure what replaces exFAT for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.