Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhr5474

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Holley, Oregon
Hey guys and gals, I tried to reset my mac yesterday and it said reset is not available. I was on Ventura. I read a online tutorial that said to go to disk utility and erase then reinstall. I can't figure out how to reinstall and now I just have a nonbooting mac. I have a windows conputer. I downloaded python, macgib,, OpenCore last night and followed a tutorial how to make a bootable usb for mac ventura. Everything downloaded correctly and everything said it worked. When I put the usb in and try to boot it all it does is go black and every 10 minutes or so it will show an apple for about 4 minutes them go black again. Any ideas are appreciated. I don't live close enough to a mac store as Apple said that's the "only" way to resurrect it.

also in recovery I've tried to restore os and it is all the way back at sierra from what I understand it's a totally different structure and that's why it won't load and just let me update up to ventura.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
also in recovery I've tried to restore os and it is all the way back at sierra
Given the above, I will assume this an iMac 18,3 (2017 iMac). Internet Recovery will install the original version of Mac OS which shipped w/ the iMac. This is helpful in that you can verify the iMac functions correctly. From there, you should be able to upgrade to Ventura if your bootable USB macOS Ventura installer media has been correctly created. That being said, you shouldn't have to even use Internet Recovery at all if your bootable USB macOS Ventura installer media has been correctly created. There are many, many posts/blogs/articles covering how to correctly and successfully create bootable USB macOS Ventura install media.

Jhr5474

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Holley, Oregon
Given the above, I will assume this an iMac 18,3 (2017 iMac). Internet Recovery will install the original version of Mac OS which shipped w/ the iMac. This is helpful in that you can verify the iMac functions correctly. From there, you should be able to upgrade to Ventura if your bootable USB macOS Ventura installer media has been correctly created. That being said, you shouldn't have to even use Internet Recovery at all if your bootable USB macOS Ventura installer media has been correctly created. There are many, many posts/blogs/articles covering how to correctly and successfully create bootable USB macOS Ventura install media.
I have tried multiple ways to make this usb. Followed 3 different versions, none boot. When I try internet recovery it goes to high sierra. I called apple and they said that my hard drive would be formatted for ventura and that is why it won't reinstall high sierra and just update from there. Do you have any links to actual working making a bootable usb?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Use Option-Command-R to reinstall latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac. That will install Ventura over the internet. I just did this a few days ago on a 2017 MBP.

Also, follow the steps here first to make sure you're erasing the disk correctly. Use Option-Command-R instead of Command-R like the article states. (Command-R reinstalls the original OS.)

Reactions: Jhr5474

Jhr5474

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Holley, Oregon
Use Option-Command-R to reinstall latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac. That will install Ventura over the internet. I just did this a few days ago on a 2017 MBP.

Also, follow the steps here first to make sure you're erasing the disk correctly. Use Option-Command-R instead of Command-R like the article states. (Command-R reinstalls the original OS.)

When I do this It just repeats the cycle, no ventura available, just high sierra and it says it can't connect to the server. I have it plugged into my router so it makes no sense

Thank you, now I feel stupid. I can't believe how easy that was. Option, command+r and bam ventura is available and loading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.