Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fnmjd

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Confirmed: iMazing works with iPad OS as well
I'm installing it right now , after downloading iPad Os 13.1.2 , quit iTunes and launched iMazing and tried to install. After few seconds it launched iTunes that I quit right away, went back to iMazing and it's installing with no issue. You just need to be very fast to quit iTunes when it reopens and iTunes will try to open a second time , close it again an you will get View attachment 865851
I hope it works for you as well!

BTW from iMazing ? Tip: iTunes might try to get back into the game during the update. If it does, just close it.
I figured I would try to install iTunes 12.8 thinking I could just downgrade. When running the installer I got the message at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831 about needing a software update to connect to my iOS device. After running that install it seems to be working fun with iMazing.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Thanks but will I be able to update apps and music with iOS 13 with iTunes 12.6.5?

I was not able to do so - it looked like it was syncing but didn't actually do it. I have smart playlists (i.e., "not played in last 60 days) that were updating to remove songs I had played, but not adding back songs from my iTunes library.

I gave up and updated . . . the number of instances where I need to reload older versions of apps where I don't like the new version is pretty small.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I was not able to do so - it looked like it was syncing but didn't actually do it. I have smart playlists (i.e., "not played in last 60 days) that were updating to remove songs I had played, but not adding back songs from my iTunes library.

I gave up and updated . . . the number of instances where I need to reload older versions of apps where I don't like the new version is pretty small.
No problems syncing apps
My music playlist was syncing with no problem too, smart playlists don't work since a while for me , in iTunes itself alas
Do they work in newer iTunes ?

Last edited:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
My music playlist was syncing with no problem, smart playlists don't work since a while for me , in iTunes itself alas
Do they work in newer iTunes ?

They worked for me on both - i.e., would update after I played. Some hiccups with syncing, but not a complete non-sync.

uehithneu

Suspended
May 19, 2018
Thank you, katbel, for giving so much advice!

This topic important to me and so I want to ask for clarification of some details.

Here is my situation: Recently I bought a new ('new to me' actually) iPhone and so I'm in the process of moving from old device to new device. Old device running iOS 13.1.2, installed OTA. New device running iOS 13.1.2, installed on secondary partition (Mojave + iTunes v12.9.5) using IPSW file. On my primary partition (High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5) the new device is amenable to iMazing backups but the old device is not amenable to iMazing backups. These details suggest OTA v. IPSW a factor in iMazing outcomes.

iOS sure to be updated and so I wonder: How can I update my device so that it stays amenable to iMazing backups when iMazing is run from High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment? I see three options:
  • OTA update. This scenario sure to break iMazing backups.
  • iTunes erase-then-install. This scenario looks to be conducive for making backups using iMazing.
  • iTunes update-not-install. This scenario the one I'd like kind readers to talk about. If I were to apply iOS update thru iTunes but without doing the whole (arduous!) erase-then-start-fresh sequence, would my iOS device still be amenable to iMazing backups in my High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment?
Reason why I'm so picky about High Sierra is that it works just fine for me. Reason why I'm so picky about iTunes v12.6.5 is that it allows for managing IPA files and for keeping those files in several different iTunes libraries.

In sum: If I were to apply iOS update thru iTunes but without doing the whole (arduous!) erase-then-start-fresh sequence, would my iOS device still be amenable to iMazing backups in my High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment?

Thank you for reading!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you, katbel, for giving so much advice!

This topic important to me and so I want to ask for clarification of some details.

Here is my situation: Recently I bought a new ('new to me' actually) iPhone and so I'm in the process of moving from old device to new device. Old device running iOS 13.1.2, installed OTA. New device running iOS 13.1.2, installed on secondary partition (Mojave + iTunes v12.9.5) using IPSW file. On my primary partition (High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5) the new device is amenable to iMazing backups but the old device is not amenable to iMazing backups. These details suggest OTA v. IPSW a factor in iMazing outcomes.

iOS sure to be updated and so I wonder: How can I update my device so that it stays amenable to iMazing backups when iMazing is run from High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment? I see three options:
  • OTA update. This scenario sure to break iMazing backups.
  • iTunes erase-then-install. This scenario looks to be conducive for making backups using iMazing.
  • iTunes update-not-install. This scenario the one I'd like kind readers to talk about. If I were to apply iOS update thru iTunes but without doing the whole (arduous!) erase-then-start-fresh sequence, would my iOS device still be amenable to iMazing backups in my High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment?
Reason why I'm so picky about High Sierra is that it works just fine for me. Reason why I'm so picky about iTunes v12.6.5 is that it allows for managing IPA files and for keeping those files in several different iTunes libraries.

In sum: If I were to apply iOS update thru iTunes but without doing the whole (arduous!) erase-then-start-fresh sequence, would my iOS device still be amenable to iMazing backups in my High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment?

Thank you for reading!

Is the iPhone 7+ that doesn't backup on iMazing? Have you tried closing iTunes and having just iMazing open?

iMazing should be fine once you have updated it wherever you did it , in theory. For what I've tried so far I never had issues but you already had problems with the 7+ that I don't understand.

I would suggest you to install a fresh iMazing copy, or install it on a different partition and see what happens. In case you still have the same issues, I would ask iMazing support to see if they know the issue you are having.
Good luck!

uehithneu

Suspended
May 19, 2018
Thank you,katbel. Yes I've tried all combinations of iTunes + iMazing open/closed. in High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 I cannot do syncing for the OTA-updated iPhone. But I can sync this device in Mojave + iTunes v12.9.4. Either the OS- or the iTunes version- or both makes a different. My guess is iTunes version!

Do you (or other kind readers!) have feedback about how to prevent sync problems in the future? iTunes clean install (not just iTunes update) works well. Do you think iTunes update (in lieu of OTA, in lieu of iTunes clean install) would work well too?

Thank you for reading.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you,katbel. Yes I've tried all combinations of iTunes + iMazing open/closed. in High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 I cannot do syncing for the OTA-updated iPhone. But I can sync this device in Mojave + iTunes v12.9.4. Either the OS- or the iTunes version- or both makes a different. My guess is iTunes version!

Do you (or other kind readers!) have feedback about how to prevent sync problems in the future? iTunes clean install (not just iTunes update) works well. Do you think iTunes update (in lieu of OTA, in lieu of iTunes clean install) would work well too?

Thank you for reading.

When you cannot sync , do you get an alert that you already have your phone synced somewhere else and you should restore or similar?

uehithneu

Suspended
May 19, 2018
Thank you again, katbel. Didn't realize 'til now that my wording has been sloppy. My posts talk about syncing but it turns out my problem is backup. Syncing works. Backup does not work.

For the device that received OTA update to iOS 13.1.2, backup errors happen in High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5. Backup errors do not happen in Mojave + iTunes v12.9.5... For the device that received clean install of iOS 13.1.2, backup not a problem.

iTunes error message
iTunes could not back up the iPhone "$MYDEVICE" because a session could not be started with the iPhone.

iMazing error message
iMazing could not back up $MYDEVICE. Details: Error (100048) Cannot start service com.apple.mobilebackup2 on $MYDEVICE: An unknown error message 'EscrowFailure', was received from the device

My observations suggest OTA update is a problem for backup in 'old iTunes' environment. My observations suggest IPSW clean install is not a problem for backup in 'old iTunes' environment.

For future updates though I'd like to avoid the arduous clean-install process. Any guesses about whether or not iTunes update (not clean install) would work as a middle ground? Or perhaps would iTunes update (not clean install) spur the same backup errors as does OTA update?

Thank you for reading!

P.S. iMazing folks kindly gave attention to my help request but the response I received ("update to latest iTunes") stands in conflict with my interest in using iTunes for collecting IPA files.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
"iTunes could not backup the iPhone because a session could not be started" could be an issue with a corrupted backup.

Try to move your old backup in another folder or delete it if you have a backup of the backup... and then try again.

Usually your backups are in
User-Library-Application Support-Mobilesync-Backup

If you have more than one device you should backup first the others and then

identify by the modified date which one needs to be removed, it should be the older one I guess.

I color coded mine and wrote on a separated folder what is what, using the first numbers and letters of the backup to identify each one
colorcoded.jpg

Then try to backup it from iTunes 12.6.5.3 : I was able to, you should be able as well.

iMazing has its own folders that need to be deleted as well, I guess (what an answer they gave you, sigh)
I would suggest to remove from Backup the folder iMazing.Versions too: it should let you backup again
and this one too:
User-Library-Application Support-iMazing
again just move the folder iMazing.Versions
I removed both and I got so much space back on my disk, I think one backup is enough for myself and I prefer iTunes 12.6.5.3 till is possible . When I need to use iMazing , as last resort, I let it do the backup and then I remove it.

Let us know and good luck!

uehithneu

Suspended
May 19, 2018
Hi, everyone. Now that iOS 13.2 is out I'd like to update in a way that allows my iPhone 7 Plus to retain functionality for iTunes syncing (and for making backups in iMazing) in my High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 environment.

My device lost this functionality when I performed OTA update for iOS 13.1.2; my device regained this functionality when I performed IPSW restore for iOS 13.1.3. My impressions: Updating via OTA is bad. Performing fresh install is good... But what about performing iTunes *update*? [I'd prefer iTunes *update* not iTunes *restore* because the latter so darn arduous.]

Do you think iTunes *update* would work well to keep High Sierra + iTunes v12.6.5 sync/backup functionality?

Thank you for reading!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.