Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UPPERCASE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2024
University Heights, OH, USA
Update: I found a supplier of hard drives large enough for me to clone CCC_SEAGATE_8TB. Drive will arrive tomorrow. So by Monday or Tuesday I hope to have the clone done. Meanwhile, I'll work on digesting what you all have so generously provided. I might have some questions about it all, but I won't be doing any restores until I have the clone done and the original safely tucked away. Thanks again to all.

UPPERCASE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2024
University Heights, OH, USA
Is the current main user name in TARGET the same name as the one in CRASHED (hence also in CCC_SEAGATE)? If yes, then MA should ask if you want to overwrite that User. Answer yes. If it works that is good because it means the user in the restored TARGET will have UUID=501. If the user name on CRASHED/SEAGATE is different then it will be migrated in as a second user and have UUID=502.
(The above swatch is from #14) I'll call this question Q05: "Do TARGET and CRASHED have the same main user name?". Answer05: There is only one main user on all my stuff, as far as I know. But as a check on that belief, I think I should verify that the UUID in the restored TARGET is 501. Which brings up RQ06: How do I determine the UUID of a user? (I've searched around the Web, and all I could find for UUID was device UUIDs)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.