Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikosl7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2016
Wired CarPlay has been finicky for both my 15 pro and my wife’s 15 on both of our cars (vw group). If you slightly move the cable car play disconnects. I have tried at this point more than a dozen of cables from apple's official one, to thunderbolt 3,4, usb 3.1, usb 2.0. Really anything.

The bug affects iPhone 15 and 15 pro. When I tried my iPhone 12 Pro, and NO Issues! Any cable, same cars, rock solid connection.

Now for the kicker. I found that the issue occurs only when the phone charge level is below 50%! If it is charged more than 50% then no problem.

What the hell apple.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've only used my 15 Pro with wired CarPlay once - in a rental older-model Chevy Traverse, literally the week after receiving the phone. I'd brought 4 different USB-C cables with me; not knowing if the car would have USB-A or USB-C (it had both) and had two different brands of each. None of them worked reliably.

On a day-trip we'd forgotten to bring a Lightning cable for my wife's 12 Pro, so bought one at a tourist shop - the cable was a triple-head with Lightning, USB-C, and Micro USB on one end, and USB-A at the other. That ended up being the most reliable cable for MY phone the rest of the trip!

Since getting home I've only done wireless CarPlay which has been fairly flawless.

Reactions: nikosl7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.