Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
Nothing advertised. I doubt there's much, it had that big change to multi display, which is still gradually rolling out. CarPlay is something where there's not a huge amount they can do anyway. I suspect at most you'll see some things get minor improvements, but otherwise, nothing until maybe next year.

Reactions: Tagbert

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Other than the previously announced accessibility things, CarPlay is pretty much the same for me.

xcel360

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
WPB, Fl
Working in the auto industry, CarPlay is one of the most requested features. Apple really seems like they are dropping the ball with innovation in this sector. I feel like they could have demonstrated some of the AI features when using Siri in your car.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Working in the auto industry, CarPlay is one of the most requested features. Apple really seems like they are dropping the ball with innovation in this sector. I feel like they could have demonstrated some of the AI features when using Siri in your car.
Problem with CarPlay is they need the car makers to do stuff as well and they arent all doing that. You have the likes of GM dropping it completely etc. Apple have introduced the function to cover more screens and integration into cars but that needs the car maker to do things as well.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Is this new in CarPlay?!! The contact photos in messages…

Attachments

• IMG_0005.png
    IMG_0005.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 101

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'd love to see the icon tinting effect on CarPlay screens. Rather than the toddler coloring book look, imagine a set of subtly tinted greyscale icons that complement the interior of your car.

Another interesting approach would be to create a "CarPlay" screen (with the above color option) as a screen on your physical phone.... to simply transform your phone screen into the CarPlay screen - for those who don't have a CarPlay enabled head unit and use some sort of iPhone mount.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
on the dev beta and carplay is not resuming paused podcasts when i start my car like it used to. not sure if that is an intentional change or not.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
They were really trying to cram in a lot during that keynote and not spending much time on any one OS. They didn’t really demo the Siri interactions as that functionality was probably not ready for public view, yet. It will be really interesting once they get the full app integration working in Siri. Then maybe we can see some demos of it working on CarPlay.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
There were two separate breakout sessions that went over New CarPlay in depth: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc24/10111
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc24/10112

We’re still at the stage of getting car manufacturers to add New CarPlay into cars. Until that happens there’s not going to be a lot in terms of innovation.

Porsche has been innovating in the current version of CarPlay with their own app that incorporates vehicle controls. I’d expect them to be among the first to adopt New CarPlay.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
There were two separate breakout sessions that went over New CarPlay in depth: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc24/10111
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc24/10112

We’re still at the stage of getting car manufacturers to add New CarPlay into cars. Until that happens there’s not going to be a lot in terms of innovation.

Porsche has been innovating in the current version of CarPlay with their own app that incorporates vehicle controls. I’d expect them to be among the first to adopt New CarPlay.
Porsche and Aston Martin have already shown how their versions will look. AM’s will debut with the DB12 which goes on sale later this year. Porsche hasn’t said when their version will debut but I’d guess probably with the upcoming 718 EV or a next gen Cayenne or 911.

Polestar/Volvo has openly said they are open to supporting it but haven’t made any official public plans to so far. GM and Mercedes have publicly stated they don’t intend to support it.

Apple also listed Ford, Lincoln, Acura, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Renault as partners last year, but they also listed Mercedes as a partner who has since withdrawn.

I think New CarPlay’s adoption will be MUCH slower than CarPlay 1’s

Reactions: flexwithmarius

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
Porsche and Aston Martin have already shown how their versions will look. AM’s will debut with the DB12 which goes on sale later this year. Porsche hasn’t said when their version will debut but I’d guess probably with the upcoming 718 EV or a next gen Cayenne or 911.

Polestar/Volvo has openly said they are open to supporting it but haven’t made any official public plans to so far. GM and Mercedes have publicly stated they don’t intend to support it.

Apple also listed Ford, Lincoln, Acura, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Renault as partners last year, but they also listed Mercedes as a partner who has since withdrawn.

I think New CarPlay’s adoption will be MUCH slower than CarPlay 1’s
Oh definitely. It’s a much more thorough integration.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
They could have at least thrown us a bone and given us some new wallpapers even if legacy CarPlay millions of us use every day is getting diddly squat otherwise. 😆

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Nothing advertised. I doubt there's much, it had that big change to multi display, which is still gradually rolling out. CarPlay is something where there's not a huge amount they can do anyway. I suspect at most you'll see some things get minor improvements, but otherwise, nothing until maybe next year.
I don’t agree with you. I use CarPlay all the time and think it’s highly underrated. Apple’s done a fantastic job with it, and there’s all sorts of potential for improvement. Not that it needs improvement, but there’s a lot of potential for Even More Stuff.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
I don’t agree with you. I use CarPlay all the time and think it’s highly underrated. Apple’s done a fantastic job with it, and there’s all sorts of potential for improvement. Not that it needs improvement, but there’s a lot of potential for Even More Stuff.
I do feel though they could bring some of the 'new CarPlay' experience to regular/legacy CarPlay though, even if just visual/UI enhancements and think it's a pity they haven't.

My car has a very large wide screen for CarPlay and it's lovely, but I'd like some of what I've seen on the 'new' CarPlay in mine now like the Weather and other widgets. I'm not expecting vehicle stuff and know that only brand new cars can do that, but they could at least keep improving the experience for the rest of us too.

It would be nice to be able to design our own CarPlay dashboards a bit like how you make your Control Center etc, with widgets and features available for existing vehicles. For example I might like Maps 50% of the screen then the other two quarters be Music and Weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I do feel though they could bring some of the 'new CarPlay' experience to regular/legacy CarPlay though, even if just visual/UI enhancements and think it's a pity they haven't.

My car has a very large wide screen for CarPlay and it's lovely, but I'd like some of what I've seen on the 'new' CarPlay in mine now like the Weather and other widgets. I'm not expecting vehicle stuff and know that only brand new cars can do that, but they could at least keep improving the experience for the rest of us too.

It would be nice to be able to design our own CarPlay dashboards a bit like how you make your Control Center etc, with widgets and features available for existing vehicles. For example I might like Maps 50% of the screen then the other two quarters be Music and Weather.
CarPlay gives me an option like that, although I don’t know if I can configure the two smaller widgets. Usually it’s Large Navigation, plus Turn Directions, plus Music. But I think sometimes it displays other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.