Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Yes. Simply take a screenshot on your phone while you are attached to CarPlay and it will capture both the active screen of your iPhone and what is displayed on CarPlay.
Got it! Thanks!
IMG_1741.png

Reactions: gank41

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
CarPlay gives me an option like that, although I don’t know if I can configure the two smaller widgets. Usually it’s Large Navigation, plus Turn Directions, plus Music. But I think sometimes it displays other things.

Yes, in the dashboard view, the largest section (½ screen) is the map/navigation view. The other half is the screen is navigation turns/navigation search and audio. The audio can be a music/podcast app or the active phone call. You can also turn on another option (Siri and suggestions) which will display current (active) calendar events and similar things.

Other that that, the sections of the display are not configurable.

Likewise, the sidebar in the Dashboard view is not user configurable, the the icons reflect the most recent app access. The top is the map app (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc. the middle icon is the most recent audio app - streaming music, podcast app, etc. and the bottom icon is other - can be Messages, Phone, Settings, Calendar, etc. if you have wireless CarPlay, the sidebar will also show your current battery/charge level. IMG_2137.PNG

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
The passengers could watch it. And drivers should be able to watch when parked.

Having it available is better than not
The problem is, drivers cannot be trusted. Do you really think it's a smart idea to have video playing in the front for "passengers only"? Moreover, you would need integration with the car to know when it's parked.

There is far too much liability on Apple to do this, and plenty of drivers are genuine idiots, and this would cause a slew of accidents.

Like I said; it won't happen. Ever.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
The passengers could watch it. And drivers should be able to watch when parked.

Having it available is better than not
My Chevy Bolt has a large infotainment screen. I’d love to be able to watch video on it while waiting for the car to charge, or while I’m waiting for someone.

The iPhone’s sensors can already tell when it’s in a moving car. Other than the obvious latency concerns, I’m not sure there’s any safety reason it couldn’t work if its only available when the car isn’t moving.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
The problem is, drivers cannot be trusted. Do you really think it's a smart idea to have video playing in the front for "passengers only"? Moreover, you would need integration with the car to know when it's parked.

There is far too much liability on Apple to do this, and plenty of drivers are genuine idiots, and this would cause a slew of accidents.

Like I said; it won't happen. Ever.
Uh have you seen cars with a dedicated passenger display and speakers embedded in the headrest?
And any car company would be able to know when a car is driving. Are you saying carplay will be handicapped by the auto manufacturers not providing the data?
If that the case, carplay will eventually fail because it’s so handicapped by “hard to do” stuff where the car’s OS could easily accommodate for

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Uh have you seen cars with a dedicated passenger display and speakers embedded in the headrest?
And any car company would be able to know when a car is driving. Are you saying carplay will be handicapped by the auto manufacturers not providing the data?
If that the case, carplay will eventually fail because it’s so handicapped by “hard to do” stuff where the car’s OS could easily accommodate for
I have, and this is very different as the displays are angled away from the driver and, in some cases, polarised so they can't even be viewed by the driver. (They just see a black screen).

So, no, this won't have any impact on CarPlay as it isn't a handicap feature.

So once again, this will never be a universal feature for all CarPlay users. The reality is, people are stupid and cannot be trusted to be sensible.

Reactions: Tagbert

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
My Chevy Bolt has a large infotainment screen. I’d love to be able to watch video on it while waiting for the car to charge, or while I’m waiting for someone.

The iPhone’s sensors can already tell when it’s in a moving car. Other than the obvious latency concerns, I’m not sure there’s any safety reason it couldn’t work if its only available when the car isn’t moving.
Makes sense what you are saying, but again, some people have no common sense and will intentionally try and over-come these issues. (Believe me, I know as my BMW iDrive has video in motion which bizarrely is disabled by default, but can be easily enabled using ENET tools).

The reality is CarPlay needs to integrate with the manufacturer API to know when the car is charging, so video features can be enabled safely.

Again, unless Apple can guarantee the safety of drives, this will never happen.

OCS12

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
Makes sense what you are saying, but again, some people have no common sense and will intentionally try and over-come these issues. (Believe me, I know as my BMW iDrive has video in motion which bizarrely is disabled by default, but can be easily enabled using ENET tools).

The reality is CarPlay needs to integrate with the manufacturer API to know when the car is charging, so video features can be enabled safely.

Again, unless Apple can guarantee the safety of drives, this will never happen.
It doesn't need anywhere close to any integration with the manufacturer's API. Your connected phone has an internal GPS in it. If it detects that it is moving 0 MPH, your car is parked and it's safe to display video.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
It doesn't need anywhere close to any integration with the manufacturer's API. Your connected phone has an internal GPS in it. If it detects that it is moving 0 MPH, your car is parked and it's safe to display video.
That puts 100% of liability on Apple.

Do you really think Apple wants to take that risk? Not a chance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.