Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
im gonna say it again remove those folders like music 1 and 2 and then copy the itunes folder inside your hdd to your mac and then rename the itunes library like the picture i sent to music library then open the music app(like the old itunes ) while youre holding option and then select choose library after that go inside the itunes backup and select the file (itunes library.itl that you renamed it to music library ) and after that you need to select a new folder as youre library you can select the old one completely
but one thing i did there i removed the music library that it was already inside the music folder and i put the library file there after i chose my music app library like the picture and inside the old itunes folder i still have that file when i renamed it
i really hope this help this is all i did
Now I think he may not understand the different between iTunes library folder and iTunes library files, hence creating copies of music library folder instead of iTunes library file itself.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks so much! This worked perfectly... after a few tries. ;)

im gonna say it again remove those folders like music 1 and 2 and then copy the itunes folder inside your hdd to your mac and then rename the itunes library like the picture i sent to music library then open the music app(like the old itunes ) while youre holding option and then select choose library after that go inside the itunes backup and select the file (itunes library.itl that you renamed it to music library ) and after that you need to select a new folder as youre library you can select the old one completely
but one thing i did there i removed the music library that it was already inside the music folder and i put the library file there after i chose my music app library like the picture and inside the old itunes folder i still have that file when i renamed it

JGU233

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019

Could someone please again try to explain the procedure step by step? I seem to be a bit confused when trying to follow the instructions given

unusualroutine

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Could someone please again try to explain the procedure step by step? I seem to be a bit confused when trying to follow the instructions given

This is based on shunknown's discovery...

• Copy your old iTunes Folder into your music Folder (/username/Musik/...)
  • Create a copy of your old "iTunes Library.itl" file within the iTunes Folder and rename it to "Music Library" (also remove .itl file extension)
  • Start Music with the Alt-Click and choose the just created File from Step 2.
  • A new Window will suggest to create a new Library i.e. "music". Confirm the message/create the new Library...
  • The App will take some time and your music should be inside it, including Playlists and everything....
The Screenshot below will show what it looks like once you're finished (both libraries in coexistence).
If Somebody knows a Way to melt them I' love to know. Changing the Path in music.app Setup didn't change the path of the Files from the old Library. It is only determining where the new added files will be stored at...

Thank you in Advance.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-10 um 15.25.45.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-10 um 15.25.45.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 252

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I had a similar issue and I think this is what I did.

1. Clean install
2. Launch Music and import one album/download and album from iTunes.
3. Quit and copy your music and library over to the new locations.

IRC it had to do with more to do with the library and media files being in a new location so once I knew where everything went I replaced the freshly created library file with my old one. Music took care of converting the old library into Whatever format and name extension it needed.

PS. This was a concern for me as well because I have a lot of ripped music and song ratings.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
With my huge iTunes library and satisfaction with Mojave doing everything i need on my iMac, this is another killer reason to ignore the Catalina catastrophe.

Reactions: ErikGrim

unusualroutine

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
With my huge iTunes library and satisfaction with Mojave doing everything i need on my iMac, this is another killer reason to ignore the Catalina catastrophe.

I also came from High Sierra and also didn't want to update for a long time, but at some point I felt like I want to do it and now I am glad that I did it, although I haven't gathered any long term experience with Catalina... Since I were installing from scratch, I didn't want to settle on an "old" OS *-)

I fixed the separated Library Issue by re-dragging the iTunes Media Folder (seen on the screenshot above) into the music app (Sidebar on the left Side).

This caused the Library to double - so the files from iTunes Media and the same exact copy of those Files were now in the music Media Folder.

I checked the Paths in music.app and they all referred to the new Library, which lead me to just erase the old iTunes Library - and surprise - it all seems to be working perfectly fine. The Date when the files were added also is still the original from the first date of adding the files...

BIG Thank you! to darngooddesign his post actually made me wonder what re-adding the library would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.