Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
by Apple and by their cellular carriers. First, Apple is charging $100 more for the exact same watch plus a cellular modem (which probably costs $2). For the S3 release, original pricing for the cellular model was $70 more than GPS alone BUT the cellular model also came with more storage (16 GB vs 8) and a ceramic back (vs composite). Plus that $2 modem.

Then come the carriers. They charge $10/month (for US carriers), which gets closer to $15 with fees and taxes, to use data and cellular service for a phone plan you are already paying for.

Can someone please tell me why they are purchasing and activating a cellular Apple Watch? Serious responses please. Thank you.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Can someone please tell me why they are purchasing and activating a cellular Apple Watch? Serious responses please. Thank you.

I ordered a GSS 42mm for because I wanted cellular. I want to be able to go for walks without my phone and keep in touch. I also want to be able to leave my phone in my vehicle when I don't have to bring it.

Its a personal choice. I've had a S0 since day one, my two issues have been I always had to bring my phone (walks/runs) to be accurate with GPS, and to be connected.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
my two issues have been I always had to bring my phone (walks/runs) to be accurate with GPS, and to be connected.

This is a good response. It is worth it to you to buy some freedom from your phone, and I didn't know the GPS tracking wasn't especially accurate. Was that an S0 issue or does it persist with later series?

Reactions: Elmo1938

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
This is a good response. It is worth it to you to buy some freedom from your phone, and I didn't know the GPS tracking wasn't especially accurate. Was that an S0 issue or does it persist with later series?
S0 didn't have gps at all. That's why.

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Anyone on T-Mobile with the Apple Watch cellular?

I noticed they limited the speed to 512kbps and wanted to see if this causes issues for anyone... particuarly for streaming music

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
by Apple and by their cellular carriers. First, Apple is charging $100 more for the exact same watch plus a cellular modem (which probably costs $2). For the S3 release, original pricing for the cellular model was $70 more than GPS alone BUT the cellular model also came with more storage (16 GB vs 8) and a ceramic back (vs composite). Plus that $2 modem.

Then come the carriers. They charge $10/month (for US carriers), which gets closer to $15 with fees and taxes, to use data and cellular service for a phone plan you are already paying for.

If you want the space black stainless you do not have any choice. I will not use the cellular but like I said if you want Black Stainless . . . .

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I look forward to the point where the watch is part just having a phone plan. I use so little data but I guess that is not the point.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Cellular only costs £5 a month here with the first 3 months for free and I'm buying a cellular watch because I often go for long walks and hate dragging my phone a long with me, sometimes it's nice to cut back on technology for a bit, but being able to still make and receive emergency calls and receive notifications will be useful. Also I was always going to get a SS model so I couldn't avoid cellular anyway.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007

I agree, I would never personally use my watch as a cellular phone (intentionally leave my phone in car or home) It drives me crazy when people talk on their speakerphone like no one else is around, I'm like what an idiot...

Reactions: a reader

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I agree, I would never personally use my watch as a cellular phone (intentionally leave my phone in car or home) It drives me crazy when people talk on their speakerphone like no one else is around, I'm like what an idiot...

I plan on using mine with AirPods, which I already carry around in my pocket, for the odd phone call and music/audiobook streaming. I went cellular because I also grabbed an Xs Max and suspect I’ll have instances where keeping the phablet in my pants pocket will be inconvenient. I might want to stow it in favor of using the watch for walk-around.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010

I use it all the time with bt headphones and using the watch as a speakerphone isn't all that loud. It isn't ideal but for quick calls it is fine.
[doublepost=1536955768][/doublepost]

Running, biking, walking, quick runs to the store, evenings out with my wife where I don't even want the temptation to mess with my phone, etc.

When I was younger and in school or new to the workforce 15 bucks would be a big deal so I get the argument but these days 15 dollars is irrelevant. Having a phone on my watch is novel/fun enough to justify the price to me.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I bought SS because I wanted the shiny finish. I never cared for the aluminum silver version. Unfortunately I got stuck paying the apple tax/premium of the cellular version because they didn't see fit to give us a gps only version in SS. I won't be activating the cellular. I always have my phone with me so no need to spend even more money!

steelo3232

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I love mine for the weekends when I'm outside you know.... doing things... :) Its nice to be able to leave the phone at home wear mesh shorts or sweats and not have to worry about a 1,200 phone meeting its demise falling to the ground. It's also awesome to be able to go for walks, runs, side by side rides etc. and not lug a phone around and still take a call or get a text that I may need to respond to (kids at home) etc... frankly, I would never have an apple watch anymore that didn't have cellular... the real villains are the carriers who used the apple watch cellular version as an excuse and way to milk us out of 10.00 additional dollars a month.

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Even without activating service, you still have access to 911. That's a comfort at least.

Is this confirmed? I've been wondering this for some time.
If the watch is connected to the phone by WiFi or BT your watch can SOS via your phone.

With a GPS+CELLULAR apple watch ... what happens if you don't have a cellular plan, and your phone isn't connected by WiFi or BT? If I went for a walk at night, and fell, and my watch detected it ... would I be able to SOS with my watch alone with no cell activated?

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I want to be able to do cardio and lift weights without having to carry my phone with me, but still be able to be in contact if necessary.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Its a pricing game for sure but if you want access to the stainless steel case and sapphire face then they got you. If it helps any you do not have to have an active carrier but you can still use it for 911 calls in case you run into trouble and your phone is taken away or if you've fallen and can't reach your phone.
[doublepost=1536962697][/doublepost]
Is this confirmed? I've been wondering this for some time.
If the watch is connected to the phone by WiFi or BT your watch can SOS via your phone.

With a GPS+CELLULAR apple watch ... what happens if you don't have a cellular plan, and your phone isn't connected by WiFi or BT? If I went for a walk at night, and fell, and my watch detected it ... would I be able to SOS with my watch alone with no cell activated?
as long as you call 911 yes.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I have heart issues and suffer from afib. The heart features sold me on the upgrade from my cellular s3, which i got because I leave my phone at home somtimes by accident.

Now that I can take ECG readings and it can detecit afib, I can lessen my frivolous trips to the ER. I can now tell when I am in afib, which doesn’t require an ED trip, and I can also tell if what im feeling are just heart PVCs, which are not dangerous and everyone gets them, but has fooled me 3 times to going to the ED and wasting hours of my life.

urbancity

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
An off topic question:

For those with an LTE Apple Watch and activated cell service, do you get WhatsApp notifications when away from your phone?

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I'm so used to getting $crewed by Apple, I would feel let down if I wasn't:D I stopped upgrading at 6s Plus, don't need anything better, love it. So I "think" I saved a TON of money over the last 3 years, but they still found a way to separate my money form my wallet, so good for them.

We have years of screwing ahead of us on the Apple Watch, they most likely already have a thinner version in the lab that has cameras, earpods that take BP, but they have a road map.... I'm looking forwarding to getting screwed by :apple: again and again.:D

I would rather pay a little more to a company like Apple then buy a cheap deal on a product that's ugly and uninspired, and you don't feel good about using. Like hey I got this great deal on my new Fiesta ST sports car, and your buddy says yeah I got totally screwed buying this Tesla Roadster, for some reason I think he is fine with that. It's all relative.

Reactions: Cigsm

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Anyone on T-Mobile with the Apple Watch cellular?

I noticed they limited the speed to 512kbps and wanted to see if this causes issues for anyone... particuarly for streaming music
No. It doesn’t. But you aren’t limited to the 512kbps. I believe that was eliminated or you could upgrade to 4G speeds last year because of the uproar it caused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.