Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Is this confirmed? I've been wondering this for some time.
If the watch is connected to the phone by WiFi or BT your watch can SOS via your phone.

With a GPS+CELLULAR apple watch ... what happens if you don't have a cellular plan, and your phone isn't connected by WiFi or BT? If I went for a walk at night, and fell, and my watch detected it ... would I be able to SOS with my watch alone with no cell activated?

This article says it can take 2+ minutes to connect, but it will work:

Reactions: Dormammu

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
No. It doesn’t. But you aren’t limited to the 512kbps. I believe that was eliminated or you could upgrade to 4G speeds last year because of the uproar it caused.

So weird, their website still says it’s limited to 512kbps and when calling the rep said all Apple watches are back to 512kbps.... not sure what is going on

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So weird, their website still says it’s limited to 512kbps and when calling the rep said all Apple watches are back to 512kbps.... not sure what is going on
Honestly, I never noticed a difference between 512kbps and 4G/LTE when I got it with my S3. You simply aren’t pulling any significant amount of data on the watch over cellular. I’m not watching videos or surfing the Internet on my watch, so if it is only 512kbps, I don’t see it as a very big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.