Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Yesterday after seeing the new iphone, I just couldn't wait to get my hands on one. But after having a day to think about it, I decided that I didn't not one at all.

I hate to spend a lot of money on something that I won't hardly use. The only place that I would use it is in my car on trips (hardly ever do that) and at work (I have access to the internet there). So why spend that much money for an iphone?

Yeah I know that when they come out I may change my mind again, but I really don't think that will happen. I could use that money for better things.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
You'll buy it because it's new, it's awesome, the multi-touch display is a treat, the widescreen iPod functionality is awesome, and you want to wow people with cover flow. :D

I'm buying two. (one for wife)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i was in a Cingular store yesterday, and they said that if you buy the iPhone you MUST also buy a data plan and a "minutes" plan. That comes to about $80 a month, minimum! pretty harsh.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
I'm waiting for the true widescreen iPod (sans phone). Don't care how long it takes, I just don't need the phone functionality.

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
When it comes down to it, as cool as the iPhone looks, I'll go with a Palm-based smart phone for the huge amount of software that's available. Cheaper, too.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I'm waiting to see the plan they have for it, because I've heard that Cingular will actually have a special iPhone plan to integrate data and voice into one, for less.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
i was in a Cingular store yesterday, and they said that if you buy the iPhone you MUST also buy a data plan and a "minutes" plan. That comes to about $80 a month, minimum! pretty harsh.
I suspect that they were talking out of their butt. No one low enough to work at their stores would have any clue what the pricing will be in June.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Yesterday after seeing the new iphone, I just couldn't wait to get my hands on one. But after having a day to think about it, I decided that I didn't not one at all.

I hate to spend a lot of money on something that I won't hardly use. The only place that I would use it is in my car on trips (hardly ever do that) and at work (I have access to the internet there). So why spend that much money for an iphone?

Yeah I know that when they come out I may change my mind again, but I really don't think that will happen. I could use that money for better things.
Fair enough. Your logic is sound and so you probably shouldn't purchase it. Though, that shouldn't stop others that will use all of the functionality, or most.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I suspect that they were talking out of their butt. No one low enough to work at their stores would have any clue what the pricing will be in June.

Well that is the current pricing for smartphones. So unless the pricing changes for the iPhone it won't be any different.

I am betting on no special pricing for the iPhone. Cingular has a 2 year exclusive on it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

They have no clue yet what is going to happen with the iPhone. I suspect that there might be a special 'iPhone' plan that includes texts and data like they have for some smartphones, but it shouldn't cost too much.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i have to agree with the original poster, it was cool at first but when you really think about what it does, its very impractical, and has a very very narrow market, and pretty badly made. there are a million holes and improvements. The only thing i'm really impressed with is the visual voicemail. i'm a cingular customer and i pay that rate with a blackberry, and the more i look at this i'm passing too.

Retired
May 16, 2006
i have to agree with the original poster, it was cool at first but when you really think about what it does, its very impractical, and has a very very narrow market, and pretty badly made. there are a million holes and improvements.

WTF?

People had the same arguements against the iPod IIRC.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I'd be very interested what everyone else beings to the table shortly after the iPhone launch. 9 months (the probable time it'll be available in the UK) is a long time in mobile phones. Indeed, one company - no, not the one in my avatar - is already gearing up in a way I haven't seen before to provide a reposte. Provided there's nothing else that's a better fit for me, I'll pick one up since I rarely use anything but smartphones these days. It'll be nice to have a brick that doesn't totally suck in terms of looks. It will however not be my main smartphone as long as there's no push contacts/calendar of Exchange information.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

You could always ditch your landline and make your cell line your primary phone. I did that, and haven't looked back.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I thik everyone is missing the point, this is taking two products that everyone wants/needs and has made it into one fantastic item of indespensible Innovation!

This iPhone will be the best thing out for donkeys years.

And I can't believe how everyone else says its going to flop!

How! look at all the other fantsatic products apple has made in the last 5 years! None of them have flopped! So why this one!

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
You could always ditch your landline and make your cell line your primary phone. I did that, and haven't looked back.

I wish I could but I can't, due to the fact that I need the landline for my satellite dish (I would love to get rid of this). Plus hubby will never get rid of the land line.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC

That's a load of crap. Yeah, you have to buy a data plan if you want to use the data features, but I called up Cingular sales, and the associate I talked to said I was free to buy their cheapest voice plan with the iPhone, I just wouldn't be able to use its data features outside of WiFi areas.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
That's a load of crap. Yeah, you have to buy a data plan if you want to use the data features, but I called up Cingular sales, and the associate I talked to said I was free to buy their cheapest voice plan with the iPhone, I just wouldn't be able to use its data features outside of WiFi areas.

why the hell would you pay 600 for a phone and not get the data plan....:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.