Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Just purchased my AirPod Pro 2 today and I like it.

But while I’m listening to music most of the time, is it possible for the AirPod Pro to charge while the ear pieces are in my ear?

Is yes, then would I have to just plug the cable into the AirPod Pro case? Or does the ear pieces still needed to be in the case for them to charge?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Just purchased my AirPod Pro 2 today and I like it.

But while I’m listening to music most of the time, is it possible for the AirPod Pro to charge while the ear pieces are in my ear?

Is yes, then would I have to just plug the cable into the AirPod Pro case? Or does the ear pieces still needed to be in the case for them to charge?

I mean...

...I've heard a lot of technologically illiterate people think Apple stuff is magic, but this is on another level.

If you want Airpod/Pros to charge while you're using them, buy another set of Airpod/Pros and swap when one runs out of power. That's the main advantage of the H1/2 chips and immediate pairing handoff - you can marathon multiple Airpods on the same iOS/Mac device with barely any break. It's what I do when joining mutiple run-on Teams meetings.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I think I see what you're asking. Yes, you can charge the case without the AirPods inside it. You cannot charge the AirPods themselves without them being in the case.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Yes. Thanks. That’s what I meant.

So by charging the case itself, it doesn’t mean that the AirPods themselves will also charge when in the ear?

So basically BOTH the AirPods and the case have batteries inside of them?

Sorry for my silly question but it’s my first time using wireless earbuds.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
XD

Unfortunate case of misphrasing lol

Yes. Both have batteries inside since the case charges the Airpods when put away.

Reactions: addamas

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can charge the AirPods one at a time. Apple says you should get about an hour of use with a 5 minute charge.

So for long duration playback, you can just stick one of them in the case for a few minutes, then swap and do the same with the other.

You will probably have to go into settings and enable "noise cancelling with one AirPod" if you want to use NC while doing that. For me that setting seems to turn itself off quite frequently. With the case open, or at least one AirPod out of the case, go into the AirPod settings, it's under accessibility.

What you can expect with AirPods Pro (2nd generation)​

• With multiple charges in your case, you get up to 30 hours of listening time,1 or up to 24 hours of talk time.
  • Your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) can get up to 6 hours of listening time (up to 5.5 hours with Spatial Audio and Head Tracking enabled)3 or up to 4.5 hours of talk time on a single charge.
  • If you charge your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) for 5 minutes in their case, you get around 1 hour of listening time or around 1 hour of talk time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.