Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Can I ask what's wrong with Sony DSLR's? I'm just curious.

nothing wrong with them, really, i just don't think there's much reason to buy one. Canon and Nikon bodies have better noise-handling (well, not Nikon until recently) and much larger lens selections. Pentax is right behind them, and better in some aspects, when it comes to bodies (i can't speak for lenses). Olympus has crappy noise-handling but tiny bodies, for those who like that. Sony has crappy noise-handling...and not much to offer over Pentax. Other than a more well-known name.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
nothing wrong with them, really, i just don't think there's much reason to buy one. Canon and Nikon bodies have better noise-handling (well, not Nikon until recently) and much larger lens selections. Pentax is right behind them, and better in some aspects, when it comes to bodies (i can't speak for lenses). Olympus has crappy noise-handling but tiny bodies, for those who like that. Sony has crappy noise-handling...and not much to offer over Pentax. Other than a more well-known name.

Sony has very good ergonomics and beautiful screens. They also have a larger selection of bodies over pentax therefore allowing you more choice and also allow you to move up. Sony has some really nice high end glass. Zeiss 24-70, Zeiss 135 and 85 Prime.

Accessories are very nice. Sony has a nice flash that allows you to rotate the aspect so you have the same aspect when shooting vertical as horizontal. The vertical grip is also really nice replication the buttons.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Sony has very good ergonomics and beautiful screens. They also have a larger selection of bodies over pentax therefore allowing you more choice and also allow you to move up. Sony has some really nice high end glass. Zeiss 24-70, Zeiss 135 and 85 Prime.

Accessories are very nice. Sony has a nice flash that allows you to rotate the aspect so you have the same aspect when shooting vertical as horizontal. The vertical grip is also really nice replication the buttons.

I must say that my Sony does a good job of keeping up with noise reduction of my Canon. I still can't make a fair comparison between the two as my Sony is low-end and my Canon high.

Ditto on the accessories, though not yet as numerous as say Canon or Nikon. They are good though, a bit higher price on the grip from what I can find. Do you use a grip on your a200, TechGuy? I have one on my Canon but haven't got around to a Sony one yet.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Both Nikon and Canon are not doing very well in 2009. Canon makes more money than Nikon because it's a much larger company, but both are in bad shape at the moment (compared to profits from 2007 to December 2009). Also, since the market is worst in the first quarter of 2009 compared to the last quarter of 2008, both companies are projecting job and revenue loses. Sony is in the same boat, too, and I imagine that so are all the other camera manufacturers.
http://www.dentonimages.com/page.php?id=n020509070909_Nikon_Cut_Sales_and_Profit_Forecasts

rs7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Thanks everyone. It may be a long time before I make my decision/get enough money to get it but I will definitely write back here when something happens/I become closer to picking out the right camera.

Thanks again.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Both Nikon and Canon are not doing very well in 2009. Canon makes more money than Nikon because it's a much larger company, but both are in bad shape at the moment (compared to profits from 2007 to December 2009). Also, since the market is worst in the first quarter of 2009 compared to the last quarter of 2008, both companies are projecting job and revenue loses. Sony is in the same boat, too, and I imagine that so are all the other camera manufacturers.
http://www.dentonimages.com/page.php?id=n020509070909_Nikon_Cut_Sales_and_Profit_Forecasts
Aye, nothing is looking too good right now. But I think no matter what, Nikon and Canon will be around for awhile ;)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I must say that my Sony does a good job of keeping up with noise reduction of my Canon. I still can't make a fair comparison between the two as my Sony is low-end and my Canon high.

Ditto on the accessories, though not yet as numerous as say Canon or Nikon. They are good though, a bit higher price on the grip from what I can find. Do you use a grip on your a200, TechGuy? I have one on my Canon but haven't got around to a Sony one yet.

No, But I'm probably getting one around the middle march i'd say. They look really nice!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That's the difference between you and me. I don't care about this crap I buy what's the best for me. Sony was the best for me and as long as their producing lenses and bodies I will continue to buy from sony. Just because a company is losing money doesn't mean there are just going to close down immediately.

But if they're losing enough money, they may close down or reduce services. Sony's in year three or so of closing lots and lots of divisions, product lines and service centers. I prefer to get my equipment from companies who understand their market enough to be turning profits in it, and who have enough strategy to grow smartly, not just launch and kill products seemingly willy-nilly- because then they have to do less dumping, bailing and shutting down. Starting next year, you won't be able to get a Sony Bravia TV serviced in the United States- being able to get service without clearing customs twice seems like an important thing for a high-dollar piece of equipment- but then as you said, that's the difference between you and I- I want to know my manufacturer isn't starting to close critical things in my market- if I were looking for a high-dollar TV, that'd certainly be "crap" I'd care about.

In an economy where some investors are making money on a product line from a company they've invested in and others are losing money, the shutting down tends to happen more quickly. How tolerant Sony, Olympus and Hoya investors are going to be is something I can't predict- but I can say for sure that Canon and Nikon investors are going to be much, much more tolerant- because decreased profitability is still profitability. Hoya investors get to see Nikon Imaging make 4B Yen in their worst quarter in a down year while Pentax bleeds 1.4B Yen a quarter- at some point you have to cut out the losing entity if there's no long-term profit strategy.

There are plenty of companies that have lost lots of money and rebounded back. Apple is one of them. I think Pentax Olympus and Sony will do just fine. The big reason they aren't doing well is because of a bad economy. A Camera isn't necessary and unless you really need to buy one you probably won't I imagine Nikon will lose money eventually too if this keeps up.

It's not just a bad economy, it's a bad economy coupled with bad management decisions (Oly lost ~45B Yen in investments and the like,) and an inability to get to consumers with wide ranges of products coupled with an over-saturated retail sector that's going down in flames coupled with a strong Yen. Since Nikon's got a long way to go until they lose money, I'm guessing your imagination isn't based upon anything any more solid than "My favorite brand isn't looking good!" Here's a hint: Nikon's Imaging Division isn't where the red ink was last quarter- and even in the losing units, the nubmers trend about the same as last year, just with the down economy (IOW, their business is as strong as it can be in these economic conditions and they're probably not losing market share despite the bad economy.)

Sony's a huge company, they can afford to lose money in some segments. However, I'd question the logic of buying into a system that's not good enough in the market to be profitable, no matter if it's for technical, marketing, political or business reasons. A successful company with a successful product line attracts the best talent and R&D. Not many people would rather work on the product that's always in a bind because the budget is leaking money. At lest Sony's making a profit fabbing sensors for Nikon.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I doubt the Alpha cameras will be closed down Sony has already spent too much money on Minolta and research.

There is a point at which losses become too high- we don't know what that point is at the moment, but with the big reorg coming, everything will be examined. While I don't think Sony will close down the still camera business in the short term, you have to wonder at what point the stills from video stuff becomes more interesting to a company who's making a lot more on video cameras than they are on still cameras.

They need to advertise it more get it better known. They also need more lenses and accessories. Sony makes Nikon Sensors (As you mentioned) I think they do pentax to, but I'm not sure. Either way it's not that much more money to create themselves some extra sensors for Alpha. I don't

Your lack of understanding of the digital camera market shows. The sensor is the single-most expensive component in a DSLR. AFAIR from past annual reports, internal chip sales are booked by the semiconductor division as if they were coming from an external party- that's been true of the PS2 and PS3 businesses (I'm pretty sure) and I don't know why it would change for Alpha.

think sony is taking too much of a loss on Alpha. Maybe their even making profit we don't know.

Well, the last annual report I recall reading said they were still losing money. They've picked up some market share though, but I doubt they're break-even on the purchase yet.

Also it's not that I'm taking favorites. Just because I own a Sony doesn't mean I'm automatically a Nikon or Canon hater. You may say they won't lose money but we also said the same about GM about 10-15 years ago. If

No, I'm pretty sure that ten-fifteen years ago, people who "worried about that crap" knew GM wasn't doing well- here's what Business Week said in 1996:

General Motors Corp. appears headed for trouble, too. With growth rates for sales and retained earnings falling fast, Ernst's measure of operating cash flow growth is tumbling. Yet GM is piling on capital spending and inventory. GM argues that its returns have been temporarily hurt by a strike early this year, as well as by a nonrecurring charge it made to fund its pension plan. Another reason is the heavy long-term spending it's making to fuel foreign growth. ``That's not investment that gets a 12-month payback,'' says a high-ranking GM financial executive. ``I'd have trouble saying we're not getting returns on our investment.''

But Fotta believes that ``GM is growing right into its problems. It's adding liabilities to make up for operating cash-flow shortages--not a healthy thing to do when sales and earnings growth are dropping.'' It could be one more sign that behind strong numbers, bad news can sometimes lurk.

this keeps Nikon Will begin to lose sales therefore losing money.

No, losing sales doesn't *automatically* lose you money- it loses you profit to start with-- but (and this has been my recurring point) if you don't *start* with profitability, then losing sales does *automatically* lose you money. From what I can tell, Canon and Nikon are losing some sales but not money. Hoya and Sony seem to be losing money and Olympus was just pulling out of a camera losing scenario when they had to restate due to overall business losses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.