Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
T2i has much better video functionality, a wider LCD screen with proper ratio, 7D light metering system, 18MP instead of what 15 on the T1i and some other little things, AUTO ISO cap ability. I'm probably missing a bunch of things. I just got a T2i for video work mostly. Sweet cam.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
The T2 has almost the same specs as my $1600 7D - you're getting quite a bargin w/the T2. In my opinion, forget the couple hundred dollars you'd save by buying the T1 and get the T2.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I bought the T1i Oct-09, if buying today I'd get the T2i.
Not enough there to upgrade though.

As others have mentioned, seems like a 7D for bargain price.

I'd really use the auto ISO capability, I'm hoping Canon would offer some of those T2i specs as firmware upgrades if the T1i could handle it, I'd be willing to pay $50 for the diff's (besides the hardware diff of course)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
The T2 has almost the same specs as my $1600 7D - you're getting quite a bargin w/the T2.

...no it doesn't. the 7D has a quick control dial, multi-controller, larger & brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 100% VF coverage, much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout, wireless triggering, more fps, larger buffer, better construction, weather resistance, more durable shutter, VF overlays, PC cord input, 19 cross-type AF points, better AF system, better AF algorithms, a customizable function button, and a lot more custom functions.

that's a lot of things missing for "almost" the same specs.

to answer the OP: the T2i is a T1i with more video features, an upper limit to auto ISO, bigger buttons, Eye-Fi, and improved Evaluative metering. you can decide if that's worth the extra cost to you. I don't think it's worth it, personally.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah the 7D has more pro features, but at the same time I feel they're so close. Mainly cause I'm primarily a video guy and there they are exactly the same. At the end of the day the image quality out of both cameras appear to be the same.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
...no it doesn't. the 7D has a quick control dial, multi-controller, larger & brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 100% VF coverage, much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout, wireless triggering, more fps, larger buffer, better construction, weather resistance, more durable shutter, VF overlays, PC cord input, 19 cross-type AF points, better AF system, better AF algorithms, a customizable function button, and a lot more custom functions.

Eh... but really, in the end, none of that matters. It's all about the image. Both cameras will achieve great results.

I don't even know what some of those features mean, and I'm a "pro photographer."

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Eh... but really, in the end, none of that matters. It's all about the image. Both cameras will achieve great results.

...and so will any other SLR. that's not my point. my point is the specifications are not similar, despite what sarge believes.

and a lot of those things can matter a lot, actually. do you really prefer to go without the rear dial and joystick (quick control dial and multi-controller)?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Absolutely, you can now get 30fps on the T2i. In fact the T2i won't even do 20fps at 1080: the options are now 30/25/24fps @ 1080p.

I purchased a T1i new last year when it first came out and was in love with it. It replaced a Canon 30D I had for a few years and had also gotten new, but decided to upgrade when the sensor resolutions of the new cameras were nearly double what I had. I would've gotten a 50D as my upgrade, but the T1i just offered so much more, even if the body was a bit flimsier, and at a lower cost. When the T2i came out it was a good upgrade, but I was still very happy with the T1i.

Unfortunately, one night someone broke into my car and stole the T1i, along with my Macbook Pro, and all my lenses. They made off with about $4,000 worth of gear.

Although it set me back finanically, I guess it was a blessing in disguise: The T2i was there waiting for me to buy it, and newly refreshed MacBook Pros weren't far behind. Both would've been fine and served me well for much longer and I wouldn't have really had a need to get new gear. So, while I still would rather have not been the victim of theft, I had my excuse in both cases to upgrade, and haven't really regretted it.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
If you do any video at all, the T2i is absolutely undoubtedly worth it and I wouldn't give the T1i another glance.

Otherwise, I think the increased $$ is reasonable and if you can afford it and justify it based on the improved features (listed above), and still have enough $$ for some good glass (assuming you don't have any yet), I'd still get it. The T1i is by no means a bad camera either though.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Replies

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Another question, how does it compare in your opinions with the Canon 7d?

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
I have a 7D, and I would not want to forego the weathersealing, but I do think though that it may be harder to justify buying the 7D over the T2i, than the T2i over the T1i. It's a better camera in every way, but it is also overpriced when you look at what the T2i offers for 1/2 the cost.

Unless you truly need weathersealing or 8FPS RAW shooting, I'd say go with the T2i. If you have extra cash to burn, get the 5D mark II. The 7D is in something of an awkward place on the Canon line-up... I'd look at it as more of a specialty camera -- ideal for sports and wildlife photography.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for the detailed replies.

Another question, how does it compare in your opinions with the Canon 7d?

I don't think it does compare. the final image will be similar, but that can be said for just about any camera. how you get there is vastly different, due to the differences I listed above. I can go into more detail about why if you want me to.

I don't think the 7D is "hard to justify" at all. if anything, the 5D is - all you're paying for is the larger sensor, at a cost in features and capability. a 35mm sensor does not make as big a difference as people make it out to be.

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB

to answer the OP: the T2i is a T1i with more video features, an upper limit to auto ISO, bigger buttons, Eye-Fi, and improved Evaluative metering. you can decide if that's worth the extra cost to you. I don't think it's worth it, personally.

One big difference is low light performance - the T2i is noticeably better at ISO 400+. The T2i looks better at ISO 3200 vs T1i at ISO 1600:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page28.asp

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Intentions

I just sold my Canon Rebel XT, so I am excited for the bump. Going off your suggestions, I think I will go with the t1i. The video features don't seem worth it to me, as I rarely record video anyway.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
The T2i is def better than the t1i, but both are great. I recently bought a t1i and it fits my needs, honestly i wish I would have waited and bought the t2i but it suits my needs. The video on the t2i is unbelievable and I know a videographer who bought one just for it. Go with the t2i and you'll be happy.

Now the big feature the 7d has that the t2i doesn't is a 1/4 in microphone jack versus the 1/8in microphone jack on the t2i, so I imagine the audio quality is much better since you're not running it through adapters and such, but I don't know.

Question: Are the sensors in the 7d and the t2i the same? Or will the low light performance be much better in the 7d.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
any real differences? tonnes man! which you cann find above my post :D

Anyway, i was too looking at the t1i, that was until, the t2i came out. I'd say its really, really worth the extra cash, get it, you won't regret it ;)

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
One very "visible" difference is the screen itself.

The T2i has a Ultra Hi-Res 3" Screen. Even higher Res than the 7D.
We all have gotten use to looking at our pictures after taking them, just to get a quick preview and make sure the picture came out well.

The screen on the T2i is phenominal!! Pictures look very crisp and sharp, and it's something you will be using frequently.

The second thing I wanted to bring to your attention is the "Live View" mode. Now most professionals don't use Live View but it's a feature more DSLRs have now. The Live View mode on the T2i is much improved. The camera can now Auto Focus in Live View mode once you hold the shutter down half way. That is not possible in the T1i.
Live View is handy when you ask someone else to take a picture of you and they don't really know how to use DSLRs and look at the screen to take the picture. (There are PLENTY of people out there like that.)

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I agree with everyone with getting the T2i. I actually purchased a T1i as a second camera, and sold and replaced it a month later when the 7D came out. I definitely don't regret the decision. The image quality on the 7D is MUCH better than the T1i. And reading from reviews, the T2i is just as good as the 7D image quality wise. ISO performance is just much better.

The T1i is very much like a 50D image quality wise, which most people know it has mediocre high ISO performance. As much as you think you won't need or care about video, at least you'll have it! It's useful if you want to capture random moments.

Spend the extra money and get the most recent model, you won't regret it. ;)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
remember that glass is probably MORE important than the body. You could go by what others' are saying, that it has amazing IQ, which is probably good, but paired with a 35-80 lens..

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
remember that glass is probably MORE important than the body. You could go by what others' are saying, that it has amazing IQ, which is probably good, but paired with a 35-80 lens..

Not just probably, but definitely.

If you are on a budget less than $2000, and don't need the T2i's new features (video is most notable of them IMO), go with the T1i and splurge instead on some really fine glass.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.