Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
there is no perfect lens paired to a specific model camera.

And lenses are all subjective to what you shoot. If you shoot portraits and/or indoors alot, you would need a fast lens, and most likely a prime.

If you shoot landscapes, and wide angle would probably fit better.

Now, if you use it for video, that is a whole different subject, and i don't have any interest in the video aspect, and if i did, i want something that shoots at a VERY FAST fps to get the super slow mo action.

I like the combo I am using. the 17-40L fits me perfect. I will also end up with the 70-200 f/4 to test out as well. I want the 24-70L A LOT!

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
I don't think it does compare. the final image will be similar, but that can be said for just about any camera. how you get there is vastly different, due to the differences I listed above. I can go into more detail about why if you want me to.

I don't think the 7D is "hard to justify" at all. if anything, the 5D is - all you're paying for is the larger sensor, at a cost in features and capability. a 35mm sensor does not make as big a difference as people make it out to be.

Toxic - your posts befit your name.

Funny how the specs of a T2 don't compare to a 7D (even though they feature the same sensor) but a Full Frame 35mm sensor "does not make as big a difference as people [read professionals] make it out to be"

OP: this guy is not arguing w/me he is arguing w/ independent reviewers whose job it is to compare cameras:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/

Confusingly however, apart from build quality (which is all but identical to the EOS 500D), the 550D has more in common with the prosumer EOS 7D, and - perhaps even more confusingly - it out-specifies the EOS 50D in many areas.

Central to the impressive specification of the EOS 550D is a high-spec movie mode which offers full HD capture at up to 30 fps, manual control over exposure, and the option to use an external stereo microphone. The new camera also inherits the EOS 7D's sophisticated metering system (which brings it a lot closer to similarly positioned Nikon SLRs)

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
toxic is not exactly wrong when he says the 7D is superior to the T2i, as it should be, when it has "a quick control dial, multi-controller, larger & brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 100% VF coverage, much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout, wireless triggering, more fps, larger buffer, better construction, weather resistance, more durable shutter, VF overlays, PC cord input, 19 cross-type AF points, better AF system, better AF algorithms, a customizable function button, and a lot more custom functions."

To some people, those things matter and using an entry level body such as a T2i would be out of the question. The very small and dim pentamirror viewfinder and lack of two control wheels is usually enough to turn off people who are used to more professional bodies. This is nothing about deriding the T2i, as it's the best specified Rebel yet, but in the end, it's still a Rebel.

On a pure image quality and video quality standpoint, of course, there will be small to very little differences between a T2i and a 7D. But to some users, it's the handling and performance of the camera that matters. Having a much superior autofocus system, faster framerate and two control wheels does allow for one to use a camera better, provided you know how to make full use of one. Which is why some people still choose a 50D over a T2i, regardless of the newer features that the T2i has over it.

For the record sarge, the T2i does not have the same sensor as the 7D as you so usefully pointed out the people at DPReview who are "independent reviewers whose job it is to compare cameras"
The 550D uses a new, 18.7 (total) megapixel sensor that's similar, but not exactly the same as the one featured in the 7D (according to our sources at Canon).
The impending arrival of the 50D replacement will sort everything out.

We'll get pretty much the same features across the board between the T2i, 50D's replacement and the 7D. So we'll be back to having fairly clear entry level, semi-professional and professional models.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
the T2i vs 7D argument has been going on WAY before the T2i and 7D even were a pipe dream. The xxD has always been compared to the xxx(x)d series.

If you are not going to print big, as with probably half of people with a DLSR, then MP are a selling point. Sure they are useful for cropping, but images degrade from RAW to JPEG (online viewing) anyways.

Also, I would take a 5D over a 7D, but that is me. In a year, the 7D will be worth less than a 5D, as that is the way with crop sensors (released every 14-18 months).

Bottom line, as i have said, is get what fits you. Don't go buy a camera for its' specs (features), because if you don't utilize the features, you could have spent that extra grand on glass, or a new tripod, or software, or whatever it may be. Hardly anyone buys a DSLR because it has xx megapixels alone. With P&S's, that is a main selling point.

Get what you NEED and enjoy it. Just because the T1i is not the new model, doesn't make it obsolete. I mean my 40D still works, and it is from 2007.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What's most important to me about a camera body is it's ability to easily select what I want it to focus on, and for it to consistently focus accurately. No other feature matters if the shot is out of focus.

Thus, I would always advise people to buy the best focus system for their needs.

The 7D has many enormous advantages in focus, both in ease and flexibility in choosing what to focus on, as well as accuracy and speed in focusing. This has had a dramatic improvement on how many keeper shots I get (close to 100% now compared to perhaps 50% with my previous T1i - although my improved skills are probably a factor as well).

Given the T1i and T2i have virtually identical focus systems, I would next look at metering, which is perhaps the second most important performance aspect of a body to me, although to some extent, this can be fixed in post unlike focus. Here, the T2i has a significant advantage over the T1i.

BTW, in terms of 5D vs 7D... one often overlooked issue with full-frame is the lack of a fast IS lens for common focal lengths. With full-frame, you can either have a fast 24-70 f2.8 or a 24-105 f4 IS lens, but there's nothing that provides the focal range, IS, and constant f2.8, like the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens on a crop.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
BTW, in terms of 5D vs 7D... one often overlooked issue with full-frame is the lack of a fast IS lens for common focal lengths. With full-frame, you can either have a fast 24-70 f2.8 or a 24-105 f4 IS lens, but there's nothing that provides the focal range, IS, and constant f2.8, like the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens on a crop.
While it's true that there is no full frame standard zoom with constant f/2.8 and optical image stabilization in the lens, one could argue that the 1 to 2 stop advantage in sensitivity of full frame over crop cancels out the speed advantage you may have gotten with the stabilized f/2.8 lens.

Image stabilization does come in handy, only as long as your subject is still enough. Pure speed advantage of shutter speed via higher sensitivity cannot be gained by image stabilization.

Which is why while Internet photographers keep asking Canon and Nikon to bring on a full frame, constant f/2.8 standard zoom with optical image stabilization, people using cameras have been using their equipment for the past 30 years, if not longer, with no real issues without asking for such a lens.

Sure, it would be nice to have but it's not exactly a pressing matter. Rumors for a lens like that have been around for as long as the PowerBook G5.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Hang on a second. The OP asked if he should get a T1 or T2. The question was not, should I spend $700 more and get a 7d!
Cripes -all I was suggesting was that the T1 is not worth the $150 savings that many retailers are offering to NOT buy a T2. Is quick control dial, multi-controller, larger & brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 100% VF coverage, much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout worth $700? I don't know - that's up to the OP

EDIT:
For what it's worth I have the 7d - I highly recommend it.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Hang on a second. The OP asked if he should get a T1 or T2. The question was not, should I spend $700 more and get a 7d!
Cripes -all I was suggesting was that the T1 is not worth the $150 savings that many retailers are offering to NOT buy a T2. Is quick control dial, multi-controller, larger & brighter pentaprism viewfinder, 100% VF coverage, much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout worth $700? I don't know - that's up to the OP

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Another question, how does it compare in your opinions with the Canon 7d?

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn

Yeah, the question was asked after my original post - small technicality.

I debated going with the 5D Mark II as it was replacing my medium format film camera (which died for the last time -$500 to fix the clutch AGAIN) but video capability was important to me as well - I have not picked up my HVX since getting the 7d.
I fully expect to replace this with whatever iteration 5D comes out and hopefully that is the sweet spot for me. I can't afford to own everything so I'm always making some kind of compromise when it comes to camera equipement, as do most people working within a budget. Still I think most people who own the 7d will get their money's worth.

emil

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Köping, Sweden
I got an t1i in dec. After that i bought an 50mm 1.8 (so inexpensive!). No matter what model you buy, get the 50mm 1.8 if you are strapped for cash. best 100 bucks you'll ever spend for any canon system.

I can only comment on the 500D (t1i.. sucky name).
IM feel maby there is alot of noice on 800iso+, video is ok at 720p but no go at 1080p for full framerate. Maby if you dog is taking a nap, and you have a tripod...

I dont know personaly if t1i(550D) gives less noice at an smaller iso, but i would def get the new model the buy rating. It wont get worse.

But from what i have learned after buying. A better lense than the kit one is worth alot.

Let us know how it goes.

Edit

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I don't think it does compare. the final image will be similar, but that can be said for just about any camera. how you get there is vastly different, due to the differences I listed above. I can go into more detail about why if you want me to.

I don't think the 7D is "hard to justify" at all. if anything, the 5D is - all you're paying for is the larger sensor, at a cost in features and capability. a 35mm sensor does not make as big a difference as people make it out to be.

Lolll

This is probably the most apparent contradiction I've ever seen in print.
Let me get this straight, you're saying that the 7D is so vastly superior to the T2i, not on image quality, but on controls.

Then you blatantly make the same generalization that you're trying to correct by stating all the 5D is "hard to justify" because ... the controls are worse and the image quality is better!?

Sensor size is the #1 contribution on practically everything one associates with image quality, namely resolution and noise. So glossing over this significant feature is at best sarcasm, and at worse some kind of erie twilightZone-esque feature fetish. (pimping "controls" over "image quality" when it is normally the other way around)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Lolll

This is probably the most apparent contradiction I've ever seen in print.
Let me get this straight, you're saying that the 7D is so vastly superior to the T2i, not on image quality, but on controls.

Then you blatantly make the same generalization that you're trying to correct by stating all the 5D is "hard to justify" because ... the controls are worse and the image quality is better!?

Sensor size is the #1 contribution on practically everything one associates with image quality, namely resolution and noise. So glossing over this significant feature is at best sarcasm, and at worse some kind of erie twilightZone-esque feature fetish. (pimping "controls" over "image quality" when it is normally the other way around)

I have the original 5D. the difference in IQ between APS-C and 35mm is grossly overblown, especially now. technology progresses. APS-C can now essentially match the performance of the vaunted 5D. of course, it will take another several years of improving technology to match the 5DII, but the 5D is no joke to start with.

the 5DII has better high ISO and resolution. great. how often do you use ISO 6400? do you have the need for and the computing power to manipulate 21MP RAWs? does the better IQ of a 21MP 35mm sensor offset the grossly inferior AF system and AF customization? these are the features I'm talking about - the features that get you the shot.

the 5DII uses an AF system from 2005. the greatest IQ in the world doesn't matter if the AF system can't get the shot.

in summary, the upgrade given the cost makes the 5DII less of a deal than the 7D.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have both a Nikon and a Canon; I just find the Nikon lenses are better quality; just bought a 14-24mm and there is nothing like that on the Canon side.

Sure Canon bodies have a zillion features, but I thought the point of an SLR was to take pictures. I have a camcorder to do the video.

Also thought it'd be fun to stir up some trouble. :D

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I have both a Nikon and a Canon; I just find the Nikon lenses are better quality; just bought a 14-24mm and there is nothing like that on the Canon side.

Sure Canon bodies have a zillion features, but I thought the point of an SLR was to take pictures. I have a camcorder to do the video.

Also thought it'd be fun to stir up some trouble. :D

then again, where's the Nikon 85/1.2 :rolleyes:

Nikon bodies actually have more features than Canon ones, btw.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
the 5DII has better high ISO and resolution. great. how often do you use ISO 6400? do you have the need for and the computing power to manipulate 21MP RAWs? does the better IQ of a 21MP 35mm sensor offset the grossly inferior AF system and AF customization? these are the features I'm talking about - the features that get you the shot.
I use somewhat higher iso from time to time. How often do you use more than say 9 (or 1) autofocus points? Me? Almost never. Nor do I care about how many FPS it can shoot, because I very rarely shoot more than 1 continuously.

The gap in your logic seems to be that what is better or unnecessary for you might not be better or unnecessary for someone else.
the 5DII uses an AF system from 2005. the greatest IQ in the world doesn't matter if the AF system can't get the shot.

Who are you, Ken Rockwell's alter ego?
Why don't you just go out and get a 1DmkIV. All those extra focusing spots will totally help you "get the shot".

And on another note, I'd love to see how your extra FPS or focusing points lets you take a wider angle shot, or have less depth of field.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
How often do you use more than say 9 (or 1) autofocus points? Me? Almost never.

When I had my T1i (9 AF points) I almost always used the center point exclusively and recomposed as needed because it was a PITA to change the selected focus point and because the off-center focus points would often hunt more for focus, especially in low light or contrast.

When I upgraded to the 7D which has a number of excellent ways to select focus points such as with the joystick on the fly, automatically using camera orientation, or a memorized favorite AF point using a programmed button, I find myself using ALL 19 AF points now and my percentage of keepers has improved considerably as a result. Not only are OOF shots reduced, but the exposure is often more accurate because you're not changing the scene after locking exposure/focus.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of practical advantage to the 7D's focus system both in terms of ergonomics that make lots of AF points useful and relevant as well as being highly accurate, fast, and effective in low light or poor contrast. It's not just marketing fluff.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I use somewhat higher iso from time to time. How often do you use more than say 9 (or 1) autofocus points? Me? Almost never. Nor do I care about how many FPS it can shoot, because I very rarely shoot more than 1 continuously.

I use the outer points regularly in portraiture.

where did I bring up fps?

The gap in your logic seems to be that what is better or unnecessary for you might not be better or unnecessary for someone else.

the gap in your logic is that the comment we're talking about is which is worth more for your money. the 5DII has better IQ than the 7D. great. is that IQ at the cost of grossly inferior AF worth another $900? I don't think so, especially for most photographer, who don't even print. the only difference between a 450D and a 1DsIII at 1000 pixels is the depth of field at the same f-stop.

And on another note, I'd love to see how your extra FPS or focusing points lets you take a wider angle shot, or have less depth of field.

both 35mm and APS-C have ultra-wide lenses.
depth of field is not an IQ consideration. some want more, some want less.

I hope you realize the AF system of the 7D is much more than just 10 more focusing points. in fact, its prowess in AF tracking has little to do with the number of AF points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.