Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
There was a Nikon D90 on display at our last user group meeting, and I was intrigued by the fact that it is capable of HD video.
I also heard that there was a roughly equivalent Canon available, I think it was the EOS 5D Mark II, but I could be wrong. I've been using Canons so I'm disposed that way.
A guy I was discussing this with while we looked over the Nikon said he would be staying with Olympus for now due to the legacy lens issue.

Stay away from DSLRs with video. The large sensor causes "worbling" in fast motion video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0i5rmwPPNQ

You need an actual Camcorder with a sensor that's made for video. That's why video on the small P&S are actually kinda good - the sensors are small like on the camcorders...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's not the size of the sensor. It's the design of the electronic shutter.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
Olympus E-520

For the record I bought the Olympus E-520 after comparing it to a Canon XSi, Sony A300 and Nikon D60. Also, I looked at the Olympus E-420. I decided on the Olympus because I thought the 4/3rds sensor made practical sense especially since most of my photos are prepared for online posting. I also just liked the feel of the camera and grip. The camera body image stability made a lot of sense to me as well and is proving to be a good choice. Finally, I liked the lens choices. The kit 14-42mm was good. What I wanted was a lens for bird photography and the 70-300mm was super for that at a great price. Finally I wanted something unobtrusive and the 25mm pancake lens filled the bill for the restaurant food photography I do a lot of.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Olympus... I shoot long and don't like to carry a wheelbarrow full of cash to the camera store nor do I want to carry a wheelbarrow full of glass out of there. I just want pretty pictures.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.