Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arch3r

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
Almost, but not quite as these two gentlemen up posted about straps for BLCK freq. change. Got my hands on a 4,1/5,1 single&dual cpu trays after studying that 84401 datasheet, here are my conclusions; mod should work in theory, will try it myself and post the results if strap change affects clock’s, and yes this mod is old-school pin/strap mod (soldering required) no software can make it permanently except some sophisticated OCLP config. Anyway attaching the picture of strap location & all possible hard-mod BLCK frequencies. It has 6 resistor positions 2 for each strap, 0&1 accordingly

Last edited:

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Almost, but not quite as these two gentlemen up posted about straps for BLCK freq. change. Got my hands on a 4,1/5,1 single&dual cpu trays after studying that 84401 datasheet, here are my conclusions; mod should work in theory, will try it myself and post the results if strap change affects clock’s, and yes this mod is old-school pin/strap mod (soldering required) no software can make it permanently except some sophisticated OCLP config. Anyway attaching the picture of strap location & all possible hard-mod BLCK frequencies. It has 6 resistor positions 2 for each strap, 0&1 accordingly
Keep us up to date on your progress!

spidertnt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Can any one make a diagram of what soldering or modifying needs to occur to change clocks either for overclocking or adding clock speed support for X5687 CPU .

I have a spare CPU tray to test with and 3 test CPU's X5687 , X5677 and X5690

u2800.png

Arch3r

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
Default is 133 BLCK, tried 166/200 didn't work out(not posting), guess it won't work on this platform, searched for any other ways to hardware OC, but it seems that lga1366 has no pinmods or any other ways to change clock or multiplier. If anyone want to play around, do so and post your results. One thing I didn't try is to change that quartz generator(14.3MHz) for this controller, because it will up all of the frequencies, not only BLCK. Hope this helps/clears some questions.

Attachments

• BLCK_straps.png
    BLCK_straps.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
  • BCKL_selector.png
    BCKL_selector.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: DieBartDie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.