Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I have Windows 10 installed via Bootcamp on an internal HDD in my 5,1 and it works great, other than being painfully slow. I have purchased an SSD that I have slotted into one of the drive bays, and I would like to clone my Windows install from the HDD to the SSD for the purposes of using the SSD to run Windows instead of the HDD. I would prefer not to start over with a fresh Bootcamp / windows install if possible.

How should I go about doing this? I was intending to just clone the drive using Acronis or another program in Windows, but I read that won't work.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I did this a while back. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for Mpojave and Winclone for Windows. Be prepared for a long wait.

Make sure Windows has a clean shutdown before you try or it will trundle to check and then refuse.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Winclone. https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone/ (Older versions for older OSs still available).
Thank you, I've heard that recommended before. Would I use the volume to volume function to accomplish this? Or is there a better way?
I did this a while back. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for Mpojave and Winclone for Windows. Be prepared for a long wait.

Make sure Windows has a clean shutdown before you try or it will trundle to check and then refuse.
Thanks. I only need to do Windows, so it sounds like Winclone is the right way to do it.

What do you mean by a clean shutdown? Last I was running windows, I selected "restart" and then booted into High Sierra. Does that count as clean?

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Interestingly, Two Canoes support just told me NOT to use volume to volume, and instead make an image. I'm not sure why though - their message didn't really make sense to me.

All of their material talks about migrating the bootcamp partition to a new mac or to an external drive. I want to migrate to a new INTERNAL drive, which their docs don't reference. I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I'm hesitating to buy the software before I know that what I want to do can be done with Winclone easily.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I want to migrate to a new INTERNAL drive, which their docs don't reference.
Many new retail-boxed HDDs come with migration software for Windows that do exactly what you’re wanting to do. At least they used to. I haven’t bought any retail boxed drives in many years, so I can’t swear they still do this, but it wouldn’t hurt to investigate.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Many new retail-boxed HDDs come with migration software for Windows that do exactly what you’re wanting to do. At least they used to. I haven’t bought any retail boxed drives in many years, so I can’t swear they still do this, but it wouldn’t hurt to investigate.
Yeah, I have that, but my understanding was that with bootcamp there are special things you need to do to make the cloned drive bootable and recognized by bootcamp. That's what I don't really understand here.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I have that, but my understanding was that with bootcamp there are special things you need to do to make the cloned drive bootable and recognized by bootcamp. That's what I don't really understand here.
I don’t think it’s an issue if windows is installed on its own drive of standard format. I installed windows on its own SSD, then installed drivers included in the bootcamp package. I’ve never had a problem with restoring disk-images while testing different cloning tools. Test it out before wiping your working drive.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
You can simply block copy your disk with the built in standard DD tool.

As this clones a disk by blocks it will clone every OS.

The destination disk has to have the same size or bigger.

With all those Win actions take care to not boot uefi Windows directly, dont boot the USB stick nor UEFI Windows without OpenCore/RefindPlus protection.

Backup your bootrom before to be prepared, just in case. I made a tool to do it easily, plus a lot of health checks. Link in my signature.

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
Hi, has anyone tried installing Windows 10 on an external drive using Winclone? I wonder if, after installing via Winclone, all the drivers are completely installed, as when installing Windows using BootCamp on the internal disk, or is it necessary to install the missing drivers manually? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.