Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
carletonmusic said:
Can you clarify which camera, what size CF card, and the resolution you are using?
8 MP (3264x2448)
Imagine quality - HI
Nikon cool pix 8800
sandisk extreme III 2GB (formated from the camera menu)

Do you think if i lower the imagine quality to normal or a lower then HI, will i loose a lot of the quality. I plan on doing some minor touch ups in PSE, red eye, healing brush/acne, brightness etc and plan to make an iphoto book. I also plan on doing some panoramas...and printing out around 4x6/8x10 or maybe the next size up

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
At least on my Canon S45 and G1 the resolution/size and picture quality are saved individually for each mode, so "P" could be Large & SuperFine while full auto could be medium and "fine".

Personally, I find ~3 MP "good enough" for 4x6 to 5x7 prints with some touch ups. Anything more is gravy and allows for enlargements and or significant cropping. So for the panoramas you probably want a higher res, ut most of the time you could stay at one of the medium resolutions.

B

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
carletonmusic said:
But, you go through half of your camera's battery and most of your iPod's battery in the process...:rolleyes:
... So do it before you go to bed. Set both batteries to charge overnight and quit worrying about it.

Here's what I'm taking to Rome tomorrow:
- Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D) w/ two batteries
- 1x SanDisk "baseline" 2GB CF Card (seen here)
- 2x SanDisk "baseline" 512MB CF Card (seen here)
- 60GB 5G iPod
- iPod Camera Connector

I'll be shooting RAW+JPG (roughly 15MB per image, at most) on the 2GB CF as my "default" configuration. That lets me view the JPG images on the iPod I'm still on the road and tweak the RAW images in Aperture when I get home.

If I find a decent 'net cafe nearby, I may dump from the iPod to a CD-R or DVD-R every few days as a backup. I carried a PowerBook to Greece a few years ago and it was a pain in the ass.

I'll shoot 70-100 photos per day, if my behavior on past vacations is any indication. 100 photos/per for 16 days ... that's 1600 photos. If each of those weight in at 15MB, I'll have 23GB of photos on my iPod ... I better make sure there's enough room on there before I leave. I should probably reformat it to FAT32, as well.

I thought about carrying a white/grey balance card or an ExpoDisc or something, but I think I'll leave it at home (er ... at the store) and worry about color correction in post. Aperture should let me do batch adjustments to color balance or whatever.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
jelloshotsrule said:
what does the fat32 affect? thanks
It lets me go to a 'net cafe and plug the iPod into any machine. From there, I can copy the files off of the iPod and burn them to CD-R or DVD-R.

A Mac-formatted (HFS+) iPod won't be readable on a Windows machine.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I may buy an ExpoDisc when I get home. :) One of the reasons I'm shooting RAW in Rome is so I can adjust things like color balance reatively easily and with as little quality loss as possible.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ChrisBrightwell said:
It lets me go to a 'net cafe and plug the iPod into any machine. From there, I can copy the files off of the iPod and burn them to CD-R or DVD-R.

A Mac-formatted (HFS+) iPod won't be readable on a Windows machine.

ahh yes, duh. was thinking it had something to do with max file sizes, partitions, etc... sometimes the obvious answer is the right one. hah. thanks

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
puckhead193 said:
anyone think the fine, extra, normal, etc imiage quality will be affected a lot?
Unless you're shooting pictures solely for the 'net, I'd say to use the highest quality you can, regardless of which resolution you settle on.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
ChrisBrightwell said:
Here's what I'm taking to Rome tomorrow:
- Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D) w/ two batteries
- 1x SanDisk "baseline" 2GB CF Card (seen here)
- 2x SanDisk "baseline" 512MB CF Card (seen here)
- 60GB 5G iPod
- iPod Camera Connector
... Just a quick followup: This setup worked wonderfully on my vacation. :)

I'll have some samples soon to share w/ anyone interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.