Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks for the thoughts. It looks like if I do fork over the cash and get a camera it is going to be the Rebel XS with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens that comes with it to begin with. Then probably after that I will be able to get other lenses. I certainly do want a wide angle lens, but a Telephoto lens would be nice too for some stuff eventually. Though I think my next buy after getting the camera would be to get a faster lens, maybe a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Several people have said to stay away from certainly online dealers for camera Bodies, and have suggested that it is best to buy a new camera body. How about buying used lenses? Is it true that older Canon lenses meant for Film Rebels will work with the new DSLRs? From my reading they work but the focal length is different and therefore if bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens that was designed for a 35mm Film Rebel it would work but my Digital Rebel would think it was an 80mm lens? Because of the difference in the focal point?

Don't be afraid to buy a used body. Actually, if you are buying expensive glass, you need to be more careful with the lenses than the body? Body a used or refurbed body or lens from B&H, Adorama, or J&R are all pretty safe.

Lenses are a whole different bag. Here are some lens sites where you can do some research

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

People say get the 50/1.8 because it's cheap. Well, I'll tell ya -- it's cheap! Doesn't focus well in low light and on a crop body, it's actually 80mm, which makes it too close for indoors, yet not long enough for distance shooting. Still, it's an easy buy (as in little money), but many people end up re-selling that lens pretty quickly.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Don't be afraid to buy a used body. Actually, if you are buying expensive glass, you need to be more careful with the lenses than the body? Body a used or refurbed body or lens from B&H, Adorama, or J&R are all pretty safe.

Lenses are a whole different bag. Here are some lens sites where you can do some research

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

People say get the 50/1.8 because it's cheap. Well, I'll tell ya -- it's cheap! Doesn't focus well in low light and on a crop body, it's actually 80mm, which makes it too close for indoors, yet not long enough for distance shooting. Still, it's an easy buy (as in little money), but many people end up re-selling that lens pretty quickly.

Thanks for the links. I continue to gain information and eventually will put the money down for a DSLR. I won't get everything I need/want all at once but over time should have a pretty decent camera and selection of lenses as well as a new knowledge base to work with.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA

You are I think the only person I know that feels this way. Most people are pretty happy with their nifty fifty and have it on them at all times. Works great in low light for me, in fact, better than my other VR lens for the price. And most people who pick one up, end up keeping theirs for the shots they get. So I'm confused. :confused:

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I actually love my Nikon 50 1.8. While the 50 1.4 is better, I don't think it is $180 better. I don't think it feels cheap at all. It is a great bargain for less than $110. Almost everone I know with a Nikon owns it and likes it. I have taken some really nice pictures with it and it isn't bad at all in low light situations. To each their own I guess.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You are I think the only person I know that feels this way. Most people are pretty happy with their nifty fifty and have it on them at all times. Works great in low light for me, in fact, better than my other VR lens for the price. And most people who pick one up, end up keeping theirs for the shots they get. So I'm confused. :confused:

I actually love my Nikon 50 1.8. While the 50 1.4 is better, I don't think it is $180 better. I don't think it feels cheap at all. It is a great bargain for less than $110. Almost everone I know with a Nikon owns it and likes it. I have taken some really nice pictures with it and it isn't bad at all in low light situations. To each their own I guess.

Egads the fanboys are starting to get rabid about the wrong vendors!

Please pay attention. The respondent is talking about the Canon version. The pertinent part of the posting they were responding to is

Is it true that older Canon lenses meant for Film Rebels will work with the new DSLRs? From my reading they work but the focal length is different and therefore if bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens that was designed for a 35mm Film Rebel it would work but my Digital Rebel would think it was an 80mm lens?

So yes, Peapody you're confused, and yes Hogfaninga to each their own... brand.

The only person I know who switched from the Canon 50mm f/1.8 to a Sigma 50mm much preferred the Sigma. I've shot mostly Nikon for years, so I don't have direct experience with the lens in question. I've never owned a Nikkor 50mm because the focal length never interested me all that much given what I shoot.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Compuwar: I made a mistake and should of read more closely. He meant the Canon. I know people were talking about the Nikon and Canon throughout the thread and I messed up. It happens.

Fanboy? OK lol. Not by a long shot. I don't know how you came to that conclusion from my post above, but OK. I prefer the Nikon (which is why I got one), but Canon is just as good. It just depends on what fits best for the person who is buying it. The Nikon feels better to me and it is what I have always been used to. I don't think either company is better than the other. Truth be told, I like the lens selection on the Canon brand more, but it isn't enough for me to change.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Egads the fanboys are starting to get rabid about the wrong vendors!

Please pay attention. The respondent is talking about the Canon version. The pertinent part of the posting they were responding to is

So yes, Peapody you're confused, and yes Hogfaninga to each their own... brand.

My bad..in my defense, I did say I was confused. No need to call me a fanboy. That is just not nice.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007

Maybe on this site everyone loves it, but not if you visit like Fred Miranda, or POTN. One dude even listed the stages of disillusionment w/the nifty fifty. don't have it at my fingertips, but it's a laugh riot.

Although ... given that you cited VR, let me clarify -- I'm talking about the Canon 50/1.8 for about $80. Not sure if the Nikon 50 is better.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Fanboy? OK lol. Not by a long shot. I don't know how you came to that conclusion from my post above, but OK.

My bad..in my defense, I did say I was confused. No need to call me a fanboy. That is just not nice.

I'm sorry you feel offended, however I'll qualify how I got there.

Fanboys tend to be pretty rabid in defending anything they own without regard to usage, flaws or the other trivial little details like actually paying attention to what the other person said. You can see by my highlights that it's not easy to confuse bking100's response for a Nikon-related posting if you take the time to read their complete response.

So, that's how I got there.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
:(

Well thanks for calling me a fanboy when I was just commenting on my confusion regarding 50mm primes. Anyway, lesson learned here. I am not even as bad as most. Feels pretty bad to be called one.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
:(

Well thanks for calling me a fanboy when I was just commenting on my confusion regarding 50mm primes. Anyway, lesson learned here. I am not even as bad as most. Feels pretty bad to be called one.

I honestly think it is funny. I could careless what some anonymous internet persona thinks of me anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.