Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
:eek::eek:

That's the most shocking thing I've read all day! ;)

Not that there are really very many brick & mortar camera shops left, but Ritz/Kits is definitely the McDonald's/Radio Shack/Wal-Mart of the crowd. Mostly in malls, anymore, and carry a lot of overpriced, cheaply made "house" stuff. Typically most of the employees are not camera people, but retail types, so if you found a good one, keep that resource! Thankfully, most of their margin is on processing, so they may have exactly what you're looking for at a reasonable price, no worries. Just beware the upsell.

Well, I guess I should have stated they were helpful to me:rolleyes:. But the person I was talking with seemed to know her stuff. Based on some comments she made, I think she does professional photography on the side.

Anyway, I have been searching some of the retailers other posters have suggested and Ritz seems to have a pretty good deal going for the $749. They also offer free photography classes with the purchase so it may be a good thing to attend.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Ok, I spent some time today at a local Ritz.

No offense, but Ritz doesn't have the best reputation.

1. Canon Rebels tend to be more of a manual set up out of the box. Seem to be for somewhat more familiar or advanced users.

That's a strange statement. The Canons all have settings found on any point-and-shoot. If you can operate a P&S, you can operate a Rebel.

The cost without tax is around $750.

For that kind of money for a travel camera, you might suggest a Rebel XT (8 mp) and a Sigma 18-200 with optical stabilizer. About $810, sans shipping.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, I guess I should have stated they were helpful to me:rolleyes:. But the person I was talking with seemed to know her stuff. Based on some comments she made, I think she does professional photography on the side.

Anyway, I have been searching some of the retailers other posters have suggested and Ritz seems to have a pretty good deal going for the $749. They also offer free photography classes with the purchase so it may be a good thing to attend.

I think that Ritz, like most brick-and-mortar camera stores, can be bad or good depending on the personnel. :) If you're comfortable with this person then I don't see a problem buying from them. You've done your homework beforehand, which is important.

I have had limited experience with Ritz (one lens purchase), but I did not run into any issues with them.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
No offense, but Ritz doesn't have the best reputation.

Just curious, because I really don't know. But what of their reputation is bad? Is it service? Pricing? Follow up after the sale (if you have questions or problems)?

I have always purchased cameras from places like Circuit City so I really don't have anything to compare Ritz to (it was much better than a Circuit City though, that is for sure)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Take a peek here.

Reading through the resellerratings.com comments, I am not sure they're particularly relevant to someone like the OP. He's walking into a store, and dealing with a real person. Most of the complaints are "they said they'd ship this, and I didn't get it" or "they didn't cancel my order correctly". In a real store he's going to see right away whether they have the product in stock or not; and he's already stated he didn't feel any pressure to upsell etc. (and I didn't notice any of those sorts of complaints anyway).

I'd certainly lean against buying from their online store, though, based on the overall gist of those comments. But that's nothing new - I feel the same way about Toys'R'Us (I'll walk in and buy from them, but based on past experience I'm not likely to order online from them).

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Reading through the resellerratings.com comments, I am not sure they're particularly relevant to someone like the OP. He's walking into a store, and dealing with a real person. Most of the complaints are "they said they'd ship this, and I didn't get it" or "they didn't cancel my order correctly". In a real store he's going to see right away whether they have the product in stock or not; and he's already stated he didn't feel any pressure to upsell etc. (and I didn't notice any of those sorts of complaints anyway).

I'd certainly lean against buying from their online store, though, based on the overall gist of those comments. But that's nothing new - I feel the same way about Toys'R'Us (I'll walk in and buy from them, but based on past experience I'm not likely to order online from them).

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through the stories. If I am going to make this purchase, it will definitely be through the retail store and not on line. I felt pretty comfortable with the person I was talking with.
Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it all. Let's see, tax return will be coming soon......:D

KidneyPi

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Perhaps I should clarify for you: All things equal, a DSLR will give a better image than a P&S at equivalent mp. It's physics.

We're using different definitions of good image. If good image means "Technically perfect, low noise, sharp image," you're exactly right. My definition of good image is "aesthetically pleasing." Some of my favorite images are technically terrible, but I enjoy looking at them. Many images that, by your definition, are great, are not at all interesting to look at.

I sometimes use a Lens Baby to intentionally make what, by your definition, is a terrible image. I do it because it makes it technically pleasing. I'd say we are both right in different contexts. If you want art, my definition is better. If you want an accurate representation a little slice of time (like snapshots or technical images), your definition is better.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
We're using different definitions of good image. If good image means "Technically perfect, low noise, sharp image," you're exactly right.

What I mean by "all things equal" is the exact same image taken at the exact same time with the exact same exposure settings at the exact same focal length. A DSLR will give a better image, and it's always easier to make a good image "bad" with post processing than it is to make a bad image "good" with post processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.