Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Dave00 said:
Was just trying to clarify.

As was I. ;)

Dave00 said:
It's a problem, in that I would venture most digital camera buyers don't realize there is a sensor size to consider, and once they do, the sizes are something as confusing as 1/1.8". The fact that a high resolution (lots of megapixels) on a small sensor is not necessarily a good thing is not an easy point to understand, especially after people have been trained that more is better as far as resolution.
I agree. However, as this thread has illustrated, it's far more complicated than any single metric, such as sensor size, can capture.

A larger sensor coupled with a so-so lens can give you a lower quality image (due to distortion) than a smaller sensor using the same lens. A larger CMOS sensor (like in some real cheap cameras) will generally give you a noisier image than a CCD. etc...

The quality of the lens, sensitivity of the sensor, shutter speeds available, quality of the autofocus, and the processing software in the camera will also have huge effects in the final output. Not to mention the photographer. ;)

MarkCollette said:
Camera size is definitely the #1 factor.
The OP has stated his #1 factor, and no one has commented on it.

Take a long hard look at the Canon SD550 it might just be a good fit in terms of camera size, sensor size and overall features...

B

apple4life

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
FWIW I recently bought an s80 2 months ago and love it. It has a slightly wider angle than most cameras and a waterproof housing option. The housing and the "wide" angle were requirements for me.... the housing because I live in Hawaii and the extra width because I shoot surfing and waves. Barrels are tight quarters and the wider the angle the better... eventually I will go dslr, fish eye, pro housing but that is mega $ and the s80 is great for now. Highly recommended. Also, check Slickdeals for deals at Dell. With nice sized % off, coupons, and cheap shipping you'll probably find your camera there for less... no matter which model you choose.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Just a follow-up, in case anyone cares. This thread taught me a lot about photography, and what to look for in a digital camera. Most of all, it told me to wait a while for newer cameras to come out, and come down in price. Which has now happenned :)

The other day I bought the camera, a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W30. I've taken a few photos at my Dad's place with it, playng around with the lighting and with the various modes for night time shots. I am freaking amazed at what this little thing can do! It's a bazillion times better than my old 35mm point and shoot.

So, I just wanted to say thank you all for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.