Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So, I've just been given permission to take up the the Leopard Market project that started back in 2014. The idea was great: an app store for Leopard with all of the latest PowerPC software. But there are now no future plans for the Market, so I'm going to be continuing the project and making the Leopard Market a reality! Thanks to everyone at the PPC Archive team for coming up with this great idea! As much as I'd love to get a public beta out soon, it's probably going to take a few months. I'll have a website up soon where you will be able to download the beta and get more information. I did get a chance to work on the user interface today, so here's what I came up with:

UPDATE, same day: the image isn't working for some reason. Please go to the website at http://leopardmarket.eu5.org for a photo plus some other information.

UPDATE, August 27: The first public beta is out! Please read the post on page 2 for more details and get the beta at http://leopardmarket.eu5.org/.

UPDATE, August 31: I just got a PowerMac G5 for $45 (amazing deal, as it also came with a screen, keyboard, and mouse) and I'm trying the Leopard Market for the first time. I've got some ideas, and some things have been suggested to me, so the second public beta is in progress! I'm also working on a better website for it.

Attachments

• Leopard Market UI.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sorry, but all I get at your link is a black screen with this error message...
"the image file cannot be displayed because it contains errors"

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sorry, but all I get at your link is a black screen with this error message...
"the image file cannot be displayed because it contains errors"
Sorry about that, I really have no idea what's going on. I'll have a website up later today, though, and you can see the picture there.
[doublepost=1471798208][/doublepost]I have a website up now. It's pretty simple, but it should give you the information you need. I wanted to get it done quickly so I could spend some time working on the app today.

http://leopardmarket.eu5.org/

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
One thing you can do is make a Munki repo for all of this stuff and host it somewhere like Google or S3. A level of trust from the repo owners needs to be needed as it is very powerful. I may also be mistaking the supported version of Munki for the current version and forgetting their feature disparity, ie it may not work as I am thinking it would.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Great idea! it is very nice that someone decided to continue this project, thank you! although it is very simple, the site is very nice too! if i can help by testing the app you can count on me!
I'll let you know if I need any help!
[doublepost=1471817051][/doublepost]I did some work on the home/"Featured" page of the store today, and here's what I have so far. Any ideas for improving it?
(Keep in mind that this isn't even close to being finished, and this is probably not the final design)

Attachments

• Featured Page.png
    Featured Page.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 219

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
for being only a draft it looks very beautiful... perhaps the white background is a bit anonymous, and the sections text needs a label, coloured maybe. i like the big images representing the apps on the top, it would be nice if it randomly showed various apps images

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
for being only a draft it looks very beautiful... perhaps the white background is a bit anonymous, and the sections text needs a label, coloured maybe. i like the big images representing the apps on the top, it would be nice if it randomly showed various apps images
What exactly do you mean by "the sections text"? If you're talking about the buttons on the top of the app, (like Featured and Categories) those are going to be in the program itself, not this. With the big images on top, I plan to update that every week or so with new or popular apps. I just started out with what I thought to be some big essentials. How many apps do you think I should put up there? I could stick with 2, or put 3 or 4.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I mean those ones: "essentials", "productivity", " new". Maybe three is better, with different sizes as you already did with vlc and tff
So you're saying that I should make "Essentials", "Productivity", and "New" in colors? I'm working on a new layout for the top that includes 3 apps on the top. I'll have a little picture of that up soon.
[doublepost=1471823576][/doublepost]OK, I updated the layout a little bit. Now I have 3 apps featured on the top: TenFourFox, BitTorrent, and VLC. I plan to replace BitTorrent with something productive like OpenOffice soon, but this is what I've got for now.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 195

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I did not give you permission (as per my email attachment below). I was simply stating what my future plans were for my website.

However, continue on with your project and hopefully it turns out great.

ugh.jpg

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I did not give you permission (as per my email attachment below). I was simply stating what my future plans were for my website.

ugh.jpg
No, you didn't give me permission, somebody called 128keaton did. I thought he was working on the project too?
[doublepost=1471863043][/doublepost]
I work for a web design company in Ohio, I'm still new and learning but I can try and make you a nice professional looking site for it for free. I could use the practice
That would be great! I was never very good at web design and it would be great if you could do it. Just email the files to the email address found on the current website I've got up. Thank you!

Reactions: WalnutSpice

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should host the programs? Google Drive? (The free web hosting service I plan to use doesn't allow download-related sites).

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
No, you didn't give me permission, somebody called 128keaton did. I thought he was working on the project too?
[doublepost=1471863043][/doublepost]
That would be great! I was never very good at web design and it would be great if you could do it. Just email the files to the email address found on the current website I've got up. Thank you!
..And maybe I was over-stepping my bounds. Gavin, the owner, has full control, and it was my mistake to assume he wouldn't mind. Originally, it was me and him working on this, but I had a ton of school stuff, and then summer stuff, and then all that twice fold.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
So you're saying that I should make "Essentials", "Productivity", and "New" in colors? I'm working on a new layout for the top that includes 3 apps on the top. I'll have a little picture of that up soon.
[doublepost=1471823576][/doublepost]OK, I updated the layout a little bit. Now I have 3 apps featured on the top: TenFourFox, BitTorrent, and VLC. I plan to replace BitTorrent with something productive like OpenOffice soon, but this is what I've got for now.

Yeah i meant those ones.. I think it is very better with 3 apps instead of two. If you need installation files for your apps i should have them stored on my HDD

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Yeah i meant those ones.. I think it is very better with 3 apps instead of two. If you need installation files for your apps i should have them stored on my HDD
OK, I'll try out some colors for "Essentials", "Productivity", and "New" and see what looks best. Any suggestions you have for certain colors?
[doublepost=1471883188][/doublepost]I got my "Featured" page running inside the app today, I just told it to load the file of my hard dive. Here's what it looks like:
[doublepost=1471884081][/doublepost]

ugh.jpg
By the way, as long as you're OK with this, it may be time to take down that Leopard Market webpage, or, better yet, put a link to the new website (http://leopardmarket.eu5.org) on it!

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: pochopsp

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
OK, I'll try out some colors for "Essentials", "Productivity", and "New" and see what looks best. Any suggestions you have for certain colors?
i don't know, now after having had a look on it again, with the three big coloured apps on the top, i would not color them, to have not "too color" that in my opinion is a bit ugly

I'm very happy to know that the development proceeds well :) can't wait to try it!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
OK, I need some opinions. Should I put broken apps on the Market? For example, there's an app called MacTubes that doesn't work anymore. Should I put it up anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.