Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeventura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
If you've ever opened up a G4 (Lamp/sunflower) to make it a standalone monitor or swap the guts, you know that sending a signal to the built in screen is a nightmare, you have to unplug the TMDS plug from the motherboard, chop it off and breakout all the wires!

What if you could just unplug the wire, plug it into a board with the same female plug like on the motherboard and have it come out HDMI on the other side?

In a few weeks I will have 7-10 prototype boards as pictured in the attachment, I will try and breath life into my G4 and share my findings. Anyone in the midst of a project like this who would like to help, let me know.

Attachments

• v2.png
    v2.png
    113 KB · Views: 69

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
I swear I've seen something like this before....

edit
Oh yeah, Juicy Crumb. Sean of Action Retro fame made a video on their forthcoming iMac G4 conversion board. Though it is very expensive and also right now only for the 20" model. If you can put together a cheaper and more compatible solution there'd likely be many people (and many broken iMacs) for it.

joeventura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
I swear I've seen something like this before....

edit
Oh yeah, Juicy Crumb. Sean of Action Retro fame made a video on their forthcoming iMac G4 conversion board. Though it is very expensive and also right now only for the 20" model. If you can put together a cheaper and more compatible solution there'd likely be many people (and many broken iMacs) for it.

Yes thats $252 and is for one (the rarest) G4.
My plan is to offer this for likely a tenth of that cost.
My product and subsequent ones will facilitate swapping out the guts for an Apple mini or a PC NUC
A Makers tool vs a single purpose item.

noblesoul117

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
This looks great, but only covers the screen, right?

Any idea how you’d approach USB ports? And is something like the original audio port / speakers a lost cause?

The Juicy Crumb board’s price is a bit obscene, but I guess what it has going for it is that it addresses all the ports.

Edit: Duh, we’d just use the USB ports on the machine we connect to HDMI. But still a sad loss for the speakers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.