Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I have a ton of EML files I was able to export from mail.app that I need to convert into PDF files. How do I do this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you get them back in Mail app, you can easily print them to PDF from there.

Put them all in a Mail folder then do a command-a to select all. Then command-p to bring up a a print dialogue. In the print dialogue click PDF in the bottom left then select save as PDF. This will put all the messages in one PDF.

Reactions: mikzn and crmpicco

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007

Put them all in a Mail folder then do a command-a to select all. Then command-p to bring up a a print dialogue. In the print dialogue click PDF in the bottom left then select save as PDF. This will put all the messages in one PDF.

I don't want to put them all in 1 PDF and its communication over a 1 yr period.. so its a ton of PDFs that needs to be created. Is there a way to do this all at once?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't want to put them all in 1 PDF and its communication over a 1 yr period.. so its a ton of PDFs that needs to be created. Is there a way to do this all at once?

Hmmm... so you want each message in its own PDF? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a non-manual way to do that. You might look in Automator and see if you can cobble something together that way.

crmpicco

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK

Great, this worked for me.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

why not just move them into a special email folder ( on or off the mail server - can be on your computer) and then they are available and searchable and can be quickly printed to PDF if need be - as per Weaselboy's post #2

trying to batch convert them will be tedious and you will have to name each individual file and how will you search and use them?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Isn’t EML a form of HTML mail? You should be able to use e.g. pandoc to convert these from the terminal:

pandoc -f html -o outputfile.pdf inputfile.eml

Or you use wkhtmltopdf. Either way, this is easily scriptable.

EDIT: read over the MacOS X 10.8 requirement - pandoc should work; wkhtmltopdf probably not due to the req. version of QT; there is MHonARC - a Perl tool - which should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.