Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Can some one please tell the exact cable I need to hook 2023 Mac mini 2 to a 2012 iMac monitor 21 .5 with hi sierra
Thank you

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Unfortunately, there is no cable that will work. The Mac mini you have is not supported (see 2nd bullet point below).

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014​

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:
  • The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Ok Thanks for reply Can any one recommend cheap monitor that works with Mac mini m2

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Just one quick question every where I look says Luna display will allow me to use iMac as a monitor is this wrong
Thank you

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I don't know about Luna Display, but I don't understand why you would want to use the old imac as a screen at all. It will have to boot and run HS every time you want to use it. Almost any old LED display will be plug 'n play with HDMI, Displayport, DVI/VGA w/adapter, and people are giving them away these days. And if you have some money to spend, get a screen that has good performance image quality wise, and a nice big size that suits your needs.

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Ok so if I get Lua display and take it to a tech shop they could make it work
Thanks

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't know what "cheap" means for you, but if you'd like to put a 5K retina monitor with that 2023 Mac Mini, the Samsung one is on sale for what I consider "cheap" and it would give you a much bigger 27" monitor instead of the 21.5" one you were seeking with that iMac.

And unlike that iMac screen, when that Mac Mini ages out and you have to replace it, you WILL be able to attach the replacement to the Samsung... even if you went PC. Bonus: if you happen to need Windows too and ARM Windows is not enough, that monitor has TWO inputs so you could connect 2 computers to it... or the Mini and an AppleTV or game console, etc. Bonus #2: it also has some TV apps and a remote so you can use it like a 27" television too.

However, you can budget less than half of that price for a 4K monitor if "retina" isn't important to you. I've helped people go both ways and 4K can look quite good even if not retina. Find an ideal one by doing searches for "best 4K monitors 2024" and similar and then reading reviews for any of interest. Note that best is not necessarily defined in full by "cheapest", so you are advised to dig in and get a sense of a mix of features & benefits rather than just jumping on one with a cheap price. For example, do you want a:
  • built-in webcam or perhaps add that as an accessory later if desired?
  • great speakers built in or perhaps add good ones as accessories?
  • a good hub built in?
  • faster than minimal refresh rate?
  • Etc.
Since this purchase might be the monitor you keep using with your NEXT computer too (just like you were wanting to do with that iMac screen), you might want to go for a great one vs. a cheap one that you may then feel compelled to replace on down the road.

Last edited:

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
If I told you what I consider cheap you might sit down and cry or laugh every thing you said makes sense so the balls in my end of the court now.
Thank you

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The 2012 21.5" iMac has a 1080p screen. If you want something similar, you could get a Dell 21.5" 1080p monitor for $80. Could probably even find cheaper ones elsewhere. If you want a little upgrade, 27" 1440p monitors can be found for less than $200.

Is this iMac going to be the only display for the Mac mini, or a secondary display? If the former, I hope Luna Display doesn't give you any issues, because you do need another monitor in order to set up Luna Display. A tech shop could probably do this part; but if something breaks or quits working for whatever reason, you'd be screwed until you take it to the shop again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.